• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Paper 42 (13th May) - Full Solutions

How did you find this paper? Scale 1-5 (1 being easiest and 5 being hardest)

• 1 (Very Easy)

Votes: 30 4.8%
  • 2 (Easy)

Votes: 36 5.7%
  • 3 (Average)

Votes: 125 19.9%
  • 4 (Hard)

Votes: 169 26.9%
  • 5 (Very hard)

Votes: 268 42.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
You'll lose 1 mark.

1 mark will be for just writing 'translation'.
hey sir
in finding the length MB i got really confused and i wrote 6.8,in the question under it i carried of the sin formula (not the one for the right angled triangles,the other one) and i did get 39,so how many marks will i lose?

Reaction score
hey sir
in finding the length MB i got really confused and i wrote 6.8,in the question under it i carried of the sin formula (not the one for the right angled triangles,the other one) and i did get 39,so how many marks will i lose?
You'll lose 1 mark for b) and at least 1 maybe 2 for c).

Reaction score
guys is a score more than 180/200 a A*
according to my expectations the GT will be high as p2 was easy and p4 was only hard with 4 to 5 questions of weight-age approx 20
i am not depressing anyone but in nov 2011 the GT for A* was 188/200!!!

Reaction score
holy craapppp!!!! I thought it was the hardest thing ever but I lost around 5 to 6 marks only!!! EL7!!!!

Reaction score
You'll lose 1 mark for b) and at least 1 maybe 2 for c).
sir in the tangent question i drew the tangent at point 2 on b0th the axis and then i calculated the gradient using these values,how much will i lose here ?

Reaction score
thanks notnek :)
The pipe question where the water is emptied out into the pool, I got the same answer but left it as 87.4
I lose a mark there?

Reaction score
There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.
SOMEONE HELP MEE!!! :/

Reaction score
24 hours have passed so here are full solutions to the 13th May IGCSE Maths Paper 42. These are my (IGCSE maths teacher) solutions and not the official solutions from CIE.

I’ll try to answer any questions regarding this paper but...

Since I don’t want to make any predictions that could be wrong, I will not answer any questions like, 'What will I need to get this grade?' or 'How hard/easy was the paper, what will the A boundary be?'.

I’ll only say that I thought it was a very hard paper, one of the hardest in recent years.

Here are the average total grade boundaries over the last 2 years:

A* : 174.7/200
A : 145.6/200
B : 114.8/200
C : 84.4/200

You can see my solutions to Paper 22 here.
Sir i am getting 171/200 is it possilble that grade thresholds change this year

Reaction score
sir, in the matrix last question i wrote the values as decimal. will it be a problem?
and will i get the grade if i wrote "nx=27" instead of "n=27/x"?