• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Phys p12 and Chem p12- 9th and 10th June,2015 Tips!

How much do you score in p1s of both subjects?

• 34-36

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • 30-33

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 27-29

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 24-26

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • 20-23

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
well trigonal pyramidal I guess man i keep forgetting this stuff .. Seriously you know a compiled note or something would be helpful ;(((
I didnt get it why? Isnt it triangular planar? Ah idk quick notes revision site :/
All am I doing is past pprs... And believe me, they are easy but i make a lot of silly mistakes... Lose around 8-12 marks normally

Reaction score
I didnt get it why? Isnt it triangular planar? Ah idk quick notes revision site :/
All am I doing is past pprs... And believe me, they are easy but i make a lot of silly mistakes... Lose around 8-12 marks normally

Dude I got the notes on them but I need in detail nvm . But if you don't know the concept to spmehing you keep forgetting that's wot am saying playa :/ questions about what is the bond angle and bond shapes I got examples to them but I don't get the concept how is H3O+ less than 107.5 so how do you know / measure the angles ... lol

Reaction score
Dude I got the notes on them but I need in detail nvm . But if you don't know the concept to spmehing you keep forgetting that's wot am saying playa :/ questions about what is the bond angle and bond shapes I got examples to them but I don't get the concept how is H3O+ less than 107.5 so how do you know / measure the angles ... lol
Oh thats VASEPR(dunno the exact format) law i guess:
Look.... Oxygen has 6 electrons in outershell.... It shares its 2electrons with Hydrogen.... That means 4electrons in outershell of oxygen left... H+ has no electrons so oxygen makes dative bond with H+ by providing 2electrons(4 use in bonding with 2H and 1H+).... Now oxygen has 2electrons(1 lone pair)

1 lone pair shows that angle is 107.5 or maybe less but if there was no lone pair, like if the structure wud be like this: H4O^2+[idk if it exists] it wud have been tetrahedral(109 angle)

This is all conceptual(VASEPR law)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aluminium carbide, Al 4C3, reacts readily with aqueous sodium hydroxide. The two products of the

reaction are NaAlO2 and a hydrocarbon. Water molecules are also involved as reactants.

What is the formula of the hydrocarbon?

A CH4
B C2H6
C C3H8
D C6H12
someone explain this plz the answer is A

Reaction score
Aluminium carbide, Al 4C3, reacts readily with aqueous sodium hydroxide. The two products of the

reaction are NaAlO2 and a hydrocarbon. Water molecules are also involved as reactants.

What is the formula of the hydrocarbon?

A CH4
B C2H6
C C3H8
D C6H12
someone explain this plz the answer is A

Al4C3+ 4NaOH +4H2O -----> 4NaAlO2 +3CH4 (C3H12(idk if it exists either) isnt in the option and none of these can form except for methane)
B and D are cancelled.... So A and left.... Sinc ethe qstn said that ONLY hydrocarbon and NaAlO2 are formed hence C cannot be the answer otherwise Hydrogen wud have evolved!

Reaction score
Al4C3+ 4NaOH +4H2O -----> 4NaAlO2 +3CH4 (C3H12(idk if it exists either) isnt in the option and none of these can form except for methane)
B and D are cancelled.... So A and left.... Sinc ethe qstn said that ONLY hydrocarbon and NaAlO2 are formed hence C cannot be the answer otherwise Hydrogen wud have evolved!
thx mate
thx mate

Reaction score
Oh thats VASEPR(dunno the exact format) law i guess:
Look.... Oxygen has 6 electrons in outershell.... It shares its 2electrons with Hydrogen.... That means 4electrons in outershell of oxygen left... H+ has no electrons so oxygen makes dative bond with H+ by providing 2electrons(4 use in bonding with 2H and 1H+).... Now oxygen has 2electrons(1 lone pair)

1 lone pair shows that angle is 107.5 or maybe less but if there was no lone pair, like if the structure wud be like this: H4O^2+[idk if it exists] it wud have been tetrahedral(109 angle)

This is all conceptual(VASEPR law)
Thank you
Man do you see a pattern in CIE ? I do but there's always a question about something so you have to get the concept right !!? But I don't get the organic chem part pattern tho .. And the bond angle question is there amongst them the pattern but lol idk what am gonna do abt that and the organic chem too

Reaction score
Thank you
Man do you see a pattern in CIE ? I do but there's always a question about something so you have to get the concept right !!? But I don't get the organic chem part pattern tho .. And the bond angle question is there amongst them the pattern but lol idk what am gonna do abt that and the organic chem too
First of all... Dont worry :)
Secondly concentrate on organic more... If u get a good grip in chem organic, u wont be scoring below than 30/40... Only 1 or 2 qstns out of so many organic are hard...but inorganic... I find inorganic tough... Especially the solubilities and the definitions like which shows that Water has H bonding- 1.Ice floats on water at 0 degree 2.Water has strong electronegative atom 3.surface tension .... These sort of qstns irritate me :/... Its not an official qstn though :p

Reaction score
First of all... Dont worry :)
Secondly concentrate on organic more... If u get a good grip in chem organic, u wont be scoring below than 30/40... Only 1 or 2 qstns out of so many organic are hard...but inorganic... I find inorganic tough... Especially the solubilities and the definitions like which shows that Water has H bonding- 1.Ice floats on water at 0 degree 2.Water has strong electronegative atom 3.surface tension .... These sort of qstns irritate me :/... Its not an official qstn though :p
Well organic for me I never devoted time on it yesterday lol I took up the nomenclatures and learned them haha but didn't do that in time anyways man inorganic is no big deal you have to think of inorganic as less complicated .. Trust me that works haha CIE can't mess up that trust me

Reaction score
Well organic for me I never devoted time on it yesterday lol I took up the nomenclatures and learned them haha but didn't do that in time anyways man inorganic is no big deal you have to think of inorganic as less complicated .. Trust me that works haha CIE can't mess up that trust me
I find organic comparatively easy... Inorganic is all shit... Damn so many silly mistakes u can make easily... But sometimes organic also ___ up :p
I hate last 10qstns tbh :p

Reaction score
Memorise answers, read ER, spam past year papers since questions repeat a lot.
Doesn't help for long-term efficient studying but is the best way to secure an A.

Reaction score
Somebody help me with this question...pleasee..
Answer is B, I don't get why is C & D wrongScreen Shot 2015-06-07 at 11.38.39 AM.png

Reaction score
Somebody help me with this question...pleasee..
Answer is B, I don't get why is C & D wrongView attachment 54720
A wrong because lower temperature increases [SO3]
B correct because at low temperature, only the rate of reaction will be slow and less particles will possesss the LOWERED activation energy.
C wrong because Nitrogen oxides are impurities in the reaction and again both gasses need to be separated from each other which is expensive compared to using V2O5. Both are gasses so they need to be separated.
D wrong because extremely high temperature result in less production of SO3(equilibrium shifts to left) although rate of reaction will increase
View attachment 54731
The answer is D, but why not A?
not A because look carefully, at 2 terminal, the current splits and moves back to the battery while the remaining current moves to the 3terminal(krichoff's 1st law)

Last edited:
Reaction score
B correct because at low temperature, only the rate of reaction will be slow and less particles will possesss thw LOWERED activation energy.
C wrong because Nitrogeoxides is an impurity in the reaction and again both gasses need to be seperated from each other which is expensive compared to use V2O5. Both are gasses so they need to be separated.
D wrong because extremely high temperature result in less production of SO3(equilibrium shifts to left) although rate of reaction will increase

not A because look carefully, at 2 terminal, the current splits and moves back to the battery while the remaining current moves to the 3terminal(krichoff's 1st law)
Hey, thanks for the explanation!
One thing I donot understand is.. which gases are you referring to? & why do they need to be separated?
Thanks again :)

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the explanation!
One thing I donot understand is.. which gases are you referring to? & why do they need to be separated?
Thanks again :)
NO2 and SO3 both are acidic gases. If we dont separate them, nitic acid and sulphuric acid both will be formed... Both are colourless solutions so both are difficult to remove and maybe yield of SO3 can also be disturbed. Plus this NO2 ans SO2 is used in atmosphere to form acid rain.... Contact process only includes use of Heterogenous catalyst while the production of acid rain in atmosphere requires a Homogenous catayst
Anytime :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
NO2 and SO3 both are acidic gases. If we dont separate them, nitic acid and sulphuric acid both will be formed... Both are colourless solutions so both are difficult to remove and maybe yield of SO3 can also be disturbed. Plus this NO2 ans SO2 is used in atmosphere to form acid rain.... Contact process only includes use of Heterogenous catalyst while the production of acid rain in atmosphere requires a Homogenous catayst
Anytime :)
right.. but how does that explain y C is wrong? :(

Reaction score
B correct because at low temperature, only the rate of reaction will be slow and less particles will possesss the LOWERED activation energy.
C wrong because Nitrogen oxides are impurities in the reaction and again both gasses need to be separated from each other which is expensive compared to using V2O5. Both are gasses so they need to be separated.

Thanks a lot........

Reaction score
not A because look carefully, at 2 terminal, the current splits and moves back to the battery while the remaining current moves to the 3terminal(krichoff's 1st law)[/QUOTE]

Isn't A wrong because terminal 1 & 3 are not connected in the first place? so the circuit is not complete? correct me If I'm wrong :)

Reaction score
right.. but how does that explain y C is wrong? :(

Im so sorry i didnt read the qstn properly
Its like this:
First of all he asked "What affects the choice of conditions for this reaction"
A mentions wrong change
B mentions correct change
C doesnt affect the choice because no need of additional catalyst... Adding a catalyst doesnt change the [SO3] . it only increases rate of reaction.
D also mentions wrong change...