• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics MCQs thread.

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
A submarine descends vertically at constant velocity. The three forces acting on the submarine
are viscous drag, upthrust and weight.
Which relationship between their magnitudes is correct?
A weight < drag
B weight = drag
C weight < upthrust
D weight > upthrust

The answer is D. weight > upthrust.

Since the submarine is descending at constant velocity this means that upward forces = downward forces => upthrust + drag = weight. Therefore weight is greater than both upthrust and drag individually and D is the only answer that corresponds to this situation.

Reaction score
hey gexceln can u xplain my q. of about tubes in page94

Sure. What you have is a case of stationary wave formation.

In a closed tube, the fundamental resonance occurs when a stationary wave with one node and one antinode (i.e. a quarter wavelength of the fundamental wave is setup in the tube). For the case of a tube that is open on both ends, fundamental resonance occurs when you have a wave with two antinodes (one at each end of the tube) and one node (in the middle) is setup, hence one half of a wavelength is setup in the tube. Since both waves are sound waves traveling with equal speeds in air this means that the frequency of the wave in the open ended tube has to be twice the frequency of the wave in the open tube to compensate for the second wave's shorter wavelength.

Hence you need to use a tuning fork with twice the frequency of the first one (2f), hence the answer is D.

Take a look at this

http://www.revisesmart.co.uk/physics/waves/standing-waves.html

Reaction score
hint:
the length of the tubes and speed of the sound in this question is considered same for both tubes.

Reaction score
Hey, yubakkk , I have a question I want to ask and I was wondering how one attaches the images like what you did for the stationary waves question. Thanks!

Reaction score
Why is the answer B?

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    20.8 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
gexceln said:
Hey, yubakkk , I have a question I want to ask and I was wondering how one attaches the images like what you did for the stationary waves question. Thanks!

convert your image to .png format. Then click on Post reply and below the preview and submit option, there is option for upload attachment. Click there and upload your file.

Reaction score
gexceln said:
post ur q. here

Reaction score
arlery said:
Why is the answer B?

For the 3rd order diffraction dsin45 = 3λ => (sqrt2/6)*d = λ

sinθ is less than or equal to 1

For n=5 for example : dsinθ = 5λ => dsinθ = (5*sqrt2/6)*d
=> sinθ = (5*sqrt2/6)

(5*sqrt2/6) > 1 and is thus out of range. The last permissible value for n is 4 since (4*sqrt2/6) < 1.