• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics MCQs thread.

Reaction score
arlery said:
Zizu1992 said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_w09_qp_11.pdf
Please explain Question 26.

Total maxima = 2 x highest maxima + 1

highest maxima = line spacing/wavelength

line spacing = 1/(300 x 10^-3)

highest maxima = (1/300x10^-3) /( 450 x 10^-9)

= 7.4 x 10^6

2(7.4 x 10^6) + 1 = 14.8 x 10^7

= 15 when you round it off

So answer is D

Reaction score
I know this has been askd before but can anyone tell me the reasoning behind this...I know the k.e is not conserved but how can we tell exactly what the chng in momentum will be?

Reaction score
change in momentum is mv-mu
so lets take initial direction as positive
-2mv-2mv=-4mv
so change is 4mv

Reaction score
It cant be A or B 'cos those changes won't give a speed which indicates a rebound. It can't be D cos a 4mv change means an elastic collision in which the relative speed of approach is the same as the relative speed of rebound. The question says its an inelastic collision meaning some of the momentum is transferred to the wall.

This only leaves option C as it indicates a rebound speed which is less than the approach speed. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
@Yubakk. You don't round it off. You round it 'down' to the previous integer. This is a rule when calculating the number of orders. Always remember it.

Reaction score
examfearz said:
I know this has been askd before but can anyone tell me the reasoning behind this...I know the k.e is not conserved but how can we tell exactly what the chng in momentum will be?
The answer is C guys. Look, the initial momentum is 2mv. Since it's in an INELASTIC collision and it's said that it'll rebound, meaning it will lose it's speed. So as mass is constant, only C is the option where the rebound speed is less than the initial (2v>v). So m[2v-(-v)] = 3mv.

Reaction score
examfearz said:
Anyone?? How is the answer D?...i cant understand
As this is a simple addition/subtraction one, add the two uncertainties = 0.03. The absolute answer is 0.44. Now calculate the %, 0.03/0.44 x 100 = 6.818 ~ 7.

Reaction score
RafaySid said:
examfearz said:
The answer is C guys. Look, the initial momentum is 2mv. Since it's in an INELASTIC collision and it's said that it'll rebound, meaning it will lose it's speed. So as mass is constant, only C is the option where the rebound speed is less than the initial (2v>v). So m[2v-(-v)] = 3mv.
u said mass is constant which is 2m , so why did u write m at the end ?

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
RafaySid said:
examfearz said:
u said mass is constant which is 2m , so why did u write m at the end ?
Mass is a constant 'm'. Speed changes from 2v to v.

Reaction score
rabib2013 said:
can anyone explain this to me?
It's quite obvious that electrons are in total random motion everywhere even when electricity is not being passed. When a current is passed they move in an order, so A is the answer.

Reaction score
DeathDealer said:
Hey.......cn any1 explain dm plzzzzzz itx june 06

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Internat ... 6_qp_1.pdf

Ques 9 & 33

Q9. the y-axis is velocity
at A. the mass is moving up and reaches its max height at B.
then at C. the mass moves down and reaches it's max velocity
to be at the lowest position, the mass have to stop moving meaning when it loses all its energy, it stops making D the answer.

Reaction score
Which statement about Newton’s laws of motion is correct?
A The first law follows from the second law.
B The third law follows from the second law.
C Conservation of energy is a consequence of the third law.
D Conservation of linear momentum is a consequence of the first law.

Please explain why the answer is A?

Reaction score
Zizu1992 said:
Which statement about Newton’s laws of motion is correct?
A The first law follows from the second law.
B The third law follows from the second law.
C Conservation of energy is a consequence of the third law.
D Conservation of linear momentum is a consequence of the first law.

Please explain why the answer is A?

The first law follows from the second law:
the 2nd law states F=ma , so if F=0 , a=0
the 1st law states that if no resultant forces act on a body it will continue in it's original state of motion or rest , which means there will be no change in velocity , hence a = 0 , which follows from the 2nd law!

and the other "statement" which is correct is:

The conservation of linear momentum is a consequence of the 3rd law .