• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P2 Help Required

Reaction score
Azazel said:
I have a question.

W07 P2 4 (c) - I've got the area to be 2.0 x 10^-6 but I don't understand why we're subtracting this from 3.2 x 10^-6.
4 (d) - I don't exactly get the logic behind the mark scheme's answer!

Yeah, I didn't get that one either. But what I have derived from it is that, since the question asks for the "Maximum" area, then it means the cross-section must be divided into two circular portions. One "Minimum" area which we calculated and one "Maximum" area which we get by subtracting the minimum area we found after stretching from the original area.

Reaction score
Azazel said:
It's the same thing: try understanding what the equation means. n is the point where displacement is max, if you add half a wavelength to it, you'll be where displacement is zero. If you remove half a wavelength, you'll still be where the displacement is zero.

I still don't understand what you mean.
I've been taught that the formula is (n - 1/2) (lambda) but if I use that in this question my answers don't match up.
Now when I use (n + 1/2) lambda then answers match up.

So why is that? I don't think both are the same things!

Reaction score
ok thanx but what if we use (2n+1)(lambda)/2? and i've forgotten what the n stands for?

Reaction score
(2n+1)(lambda/2) = [(2n+1)/2] * lambda = (n + 1/2) * lambda

Same thing. As for n, I believe it's the number of anti-nodes (i.e max displacement). I'm not entirely sure though, someone else care to reply?

Reaction score
n = the number of maximas or minimas produced or the Order Number in diffraction grating formula!

Can you reply to my last post?

Reaction score
Hm, you're right!

I just re-checked beacon_of_light's solution again and his/her answer seems to be wrong.

I quote:
------------
n+(0.5)(0.33) = 0.28 ....and n = 0.35..

n+(o.5)(0.0825)= 0.28...and n= 3.39...
------------

The first part is correct, (n+0.5)(0.33) = 0.28, n + 0.5 = 0.28/0.33, n = 0.35

As for the second part, (n+0.5)(0.0825) = 0.28, n + 0.5 = 0.28/0.0825, n = 2.89, NOT 3.39.

If we follow on, he/she states that odd numbers i.e n=1 and n=3 are to be counted. This is, clearly, no longer possible.

I suggest you follow sizbeauty's solution. It seems to be clear.

In any case, I'm just throwing a thought out on this one. To me, logically, n + 0.5 and n - 0.5 should give the same answer. If we had used n - 0.5, we'd get 1.35 and 3.89. The whole numbers between are 2 and 3 (i.e TWO minima). If we used n + 0.5, we'd get 0.35 and 2.89. The whole numbers between are 1 and 2 (i.e TWO minima).

Reaction score
yes tthe solutions seems to be wrong as i have aslo taught that for destructive interference ptah difference is equal to ( n- 1/2 lamda)

Reaction score
guys i am sorry ive left sum rome of confusion........use (n+1/2) x lambda...keep in notice the brackets!!!u'll surely get the right ans

Reaction score
I'm sorry, beacon_of_light, but I already assumed that you wanted to say (n + 0.5)*lambda.

You still get the incorrect answer.

Reaction score
yes because......................path difference is (n-1/2)*lambda for destructive interference........................

Reaction score
Azazel said:
I'm sorry, beacon_of_light, but I already assumed that you wanted to say (n + 0.5)*lambda.

You still get the incorrect answer.

No the path differnce for destructive interference is (n+1/2)x lambda...check out any book if u want...longman physics :)

Reaction score
My point was that the answer is incorrect. As I said earlier, perhaps you don't need to take odd numbers i.e n = 1, n = 3, but you need to take /any/ whole number e.g in this case, n=1 and n=2.

Reaction score
Which question u talking about ??? it doesnt matter if u take n-1 or n+1.. U should get your path difference as 0.5, 1.5, 2.5..i.e, middle values.. Where N is the first antinoadal point i think :O

Reaction score
hey guys. can anyone help me with this question.

MJ06 Q7 b.

why is the answer state that 'shorted lamp A'. i don't understand.

Reaction score
Bhai will anyone explain me jun 09 ques 5 Variant 1. Its really tough yar....