• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P42 Discussion

Possible GT for an A* (Including previous As May/June )

• 70%

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 68%

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • 80%

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
You use voltmeter to measure emf in a coil the same way you measure emf of cell. The pd across the voltmeter will be similar to the actual emf because it has very high resistance. I = E/R , V = IR.
Its really both series and parallel in a simple circuit

Last edited:
Reaction score
But the coil was moving bro, it was taken away from the straight conductor
I wrote that voltmeter was connected in series so bad suggestion can it be correct?
Yes, the coil was moving. It Was taken away from the straight conductor.

Reaction score
Of course it was taken away from the straight wire. The questiom stated that the coil was positioned at distances x from the wire to get data to calculate the magnetic flux density. It didnt state that he moved the wire with a speed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course it was taken away from the straight wire. The questiom stated that the coil was positioned at distances x from the wire to get data to calculate the magnetic flux density. It didnt state that he moved the wire with a speed.
But that also didnt mean that he didnt move the wire at all. Even if there is a little change in flux, emf is induced. Im just stating that.

Reaction score
Bro i have done similar questions in pastpapers where moving away the coil does induce an emf

Reaction score
You use voltmeter to measure emf in a coil the same way you measure emf of cell. The pd across the voltmeter will be similar to the actual emf because it has very high resistance. I = E/R , V = IR.
Its really both series and parallel in a simple circuit
Bro if the current doesnt flow how are you going to get a reading of voltage

Reaction score
Bro i have done similar questions in pastpapers where moving away the coil does induce an emf
I did all the past years from 2002 up to 2013. Emf is induced ONLY when there is a cutting of flux . I repeat, the question didn't say that the student moved the coil to get a reading. It was only given that readings were taken at certain distances, X. Voltmeter in series can't be the problem. Wow.. Current doesn't flow? There is a current dude.. And its very small.............................................................

Reaction score
I did all the past years from 2002 up to 2013. Emf is induced ONLY when there is a cutting of flux . I repeat, the question didn't say that the student moved the coil to get a reading. It was only given that readings were taken at certain distances, X. Voltmeter in series can't be the problem. Wow.. Current doesn't flow? There is a current dude.. And its very small.............................................................
Bro how are you going to reach at point x you definitely have to move the coil lol and if the current is very small then it is of no use

Reaction score
He did move the coil. I remember this part.
Bro how are you going to reach at point x you definitely have to move the coil lol and if the current is very small then it is of no use
Tanijiahou, hes right. Pakiboy is absolutely correct.
I dont want to call my teacher every now and then.

Reaction score
He did move the coil. I remember this part.

Tanijiahou, hes right. Pakiboy is absolutely correct.
I dont want to call my teacher every now and then.
Guyz the paper is over we did our best now leave the rest to Allah and pray
Threshold for an a* will never go up from 190/260 so chill and rock the 52 paper tomorrow

Reaction score
Checck november 2004 question. Similar to the question we were asked. Just the setup.
// The average magnetic flux density B through the coil varies with the distance x between the
face of the magnet and the plane of the coil. // This is calculated by using the formula of magnetic flux density around a long straight wire, B = mu0*i/2*pi*x; not from calculations involving induced emf in the coil.

//The coil is moved along the axis of the magnet so that the distance x changes from
x = 5.0 cm to x = 15.0 cm in a time of 0.30 s. // Did the student state something like this??

You are assuming that the student stated the constant speeds at which he moves the coil.

Attachments

• emf.png
    emf.png
    27 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reaction score
// The average magnetic flux density B through the coil varies with the distance x between the
face of the magnet and the plane of the coil. // This is calculated by using the formula of magnetic flux density around a long straight wire, B = mu0*i/2*pi*x; not from calculations involving induced emf in the coil.

//The coil is moved along the axis of the magnet so that the distance x changes from
x = 5.0 cm to x = 15.0 cm in a time of 0.30 s. // Did the student state something like this??

You are assuming that the student stated the speed at which he moves the coil.
It was just a suggestion bro

Reaction score
Im

You are assuming that the student stated the speed at which he moves the coil.
not assuming anything. I told you i dont remember my answer but a friend of mine stated that this method was incorrect as speed wasnt measured. She justified it using this. So i think her answer is right.thats why im supporting pakiboy.