• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics p5 discussion

Reaction score
okie so i have a qs ....

in n/10/52/ qs# c/ii
my prob is dat my worst acceptable line line is not passing through one of the error bar i.e. 5th point.... :( :cry:

i tried very hard to make it pass through the error bar but m unable to do so... :%)

and marking scheme says it should...
has anyone else attempted this qs....
:Search:

Reaction score
oh u r soo rite
i jst noticed mine doesnt pass 2!!!!
its like a mile away...
mayb dey ll xcuse it!!

Reaction score
workinghard said:
oh u r soo rite
i jst noticed mine doesnt pass 2!!!!
its like a mile away...
mayb dey ll xcuse it!!

they have clearly mentioned it should...WEIRD

i hope v both are not making any mistake :%)

Reaction score
well i jst thought v could it da oder way like matching the top of the first bar with da bottom of da last part
it passes al da bars den...
n da theory of plotting worst fit line remains same...
u try it out...

Reaction score
has anyone done this o/n 2008 p5.......i am not sure how to draw the circuit .....marking scheme says abt potential divider...and i've no idea how to make it...plzz if anyone has done... :%)

Reaction score
guys can someone explain how to calculate uncertainity in a quantity like this: log(12.5+_ 1.5) ???
how are we supposed to find the uncertainity in this?

Reaction score
u take log of 12.5 dat ll b ur ans
4 uncertainity take log of either (12.5 +1.5) - log 12.5
or log(12.5 - 1.5) - log 12.5!

Reaction score
Uhh.....I know this isnt a part of answering your question but since this is a p5 discussion tread i thought i could ....well....ask a question myself. :sorry: (lol this icon is cute...*ahem* anyway...)

The point im getting through here is that, when it comes to error bars, right..Uh...how many units does the error bar has to have? is there some sort of calculation to tell how many units it suppose to have?

And some how i got confuse on with independent and dependent variable now. Can someone give me a short brief on that?

I only had a little much practice with physics paper 5. I know the idea and everything. But Its been a long time since i last answered paper 5.

Reaction score
^

I have the same question.

How do we actually calculate the error bars. A formula or general technique will be very helpful!

Reaction score
zahraahmed said:
guys can someone explain how to calculate uncertainity in a quantity like this: log(12.5+_ 1.5) ???
how are we supposed to find the uncertainity in this?

just 1.5/12.5, the lg is not involved in the uncertainty thing, write the value lg12.5 and uncertainity as +- 1.5/12.5

Reaction score
OK please tell me how to plot the worst fit line.. And how do u find errors in gradient and the y-intercepts which they usually ask in the last part of q2 ???

And please tell me how to attempt Q1 >>>???

Reaction score
@s… sorry couldn’t spell ur name rite
Yeah its cute ma personal fav
U askd bout da dependent n independent
Simple shortcut is dat left hand side of eq displays dependent n rite side displays independent
Other dan dat da quantity which YOU change such as length or anything n which causes a diff in da other quantity is independent..
Hope dat ans u!!
N u r welcum 2 ask
It is a p5 discussion n an open one 2!
N I think u r asking bout no of sig fig
Go 4 3 or 4 max !!!
Cheers!!!!
@billikidum
Cute name… hahahahhah
U draw a line thru bottom of the1st error bar 2 da top of da last error bar must pass thru all da bars
Da diff b/w da grad of best n worst fit line is its uncertainity n da diff b/w 2 intercepts is its uncertainity
Bout design part I ve bin yellin everywhere go thru prac skills of phy as n a level
Write a few urslf n chk dem against suggested method as most of the designs r 4m dere
N memorixe da xtra info 4m ms as similar prac hv similar precautions n xtra info…
Hope I helped…

Reaction score
@samsung156
evry error bar hx a diff formula like lg n ln hv da formula lg(a)+- (lg(a+b)-lga)
T2 ll hv formula T2 +- T's value + errors values sq - ur T2 value
its diff 2 xpln dis way... but dese 2 r da normal methods cux either sq fig r given or lg or ln is given!!!

Reaction score
LOL. You can just call me "Pion" to make your life easier. Haha. So uhh...Ohh. OK. Can we take a couple of questions from any either some of the past year papers concerning that error bar thing. So probably i could get a clear idea out of it. If its impossible to explain than its fine i guess. =w=;;

Reaction score
@nisurju i hv n wat do u want 2 no
ll come back 2nite n help u or ll try
u pm me ur prob...
@pion sure but ull hv 2 wait till 2nite 2
@zdee2011 same goes 4 u i ll upload a graf if dats wat u want or do u want 2 calc error values?!