• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics p5 discussion

Reaction score
WellWIshER said:
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THEIR ANS 4 Q2 JUNE O8!!

I AM GETTING IN STANDARD FORM!!

Gradient: 54.8+/-5.6 (this is when I divided the error into 2, like my error was 0.06 so i took the 3boxes above the dot and 3 below. how about you?)
n: -0.00485+/-0.0005
x: 0.042+/- 0.004

@workinghard grapghs for the best fit for years, Nov 2009(52), Nov 2010(52) and June 2010(51)
the dots don't fall in line and then when I match the mark scheme the corrdinates if the graph has been drawn correct, they just dont match their values?

@zeena123 That leaves me perplexed too we're all doing a different way

Reaction score
If, for example, we have an error of +/- 4, when plotting a graph, does that mean that we have to take 2 points below the point and 2 above. Or do we take 4 points above the point and 4 below? I'm confused about this.

Reaction score
srukhan said:
WellWIshER said:

Gradient: 54.8+/-5.6 (this is when I divided the error into 2, like my error was 0.06 so i took the 3boxes above the dot and 3 below. how about you?)
n=-0.00485+/-0.0005
x= 0.042+/- 0.004

my value of n is 4.87 x 10^5

and dude ur value of x is not to 3 sf???

Reaction score
zeena123 said:
If, for example, we have an error of +/- 4, when plotting a graph, does that mean that we have to take 2 points below the point and 2 above. Or do we take 4 points above the point and 4 below? I'm confused about this.

+-4 means u add 4 to the reading for eg 42.4 ... and subtract 4 from 42.4 ... so draw a line from 38.4 to 46.4 .. thats an error bar for this particular reading...

Reaction score
guys in oct 08 do we have to tke into account tht 10^4 on da y axis when calculating da gradient????

Reaction score
WellWIshER said:
guys in oct 08 do we have to tke into account tht 10^4 on da y axis when calculating da gradient????

yea i have to ask the same question guys markscheme not showing dat

Reaction score
well guess wat
in one of da papers i didnt take into account and got xact ans to marks cheme

in another paper i ddint take into account and got rong ans!!!

Reaction score
WellWIshER said:
well guess wat

so its safer to take it into account!

Reaction score
WellWIshER said:

gradient = -54.8 +/- 5.6
Mass absorption co - effiecient = (4.85X 10^-3 +/- .0005 )

Reaction score
princesszahra said:
WellWIshER said:
well guess wat

so its safer to take it into account!

I agree!
and I too at first didn't use it but then i wasnt getting the answer i wanted(as per the mark scheme) so however ans whatever is mentioned, It is the information provided to us, that's gotta be taken into account

by the way what did you guys get for Nov 2010/53 Q2 (d) and how?

Reaction score
@srukhan yeah 4 nov 09 da points r far apart i passed da line 4m da 1st n da last with even no f randim points on both sides
for nov 10 dey dont xctly fall in line bbut 45 of mine passed rufly
n last one u mentioned dats fine i think 4 of mine again passed
@wellwisher u got da right ans cux u mite hv bin dividin some terms u no the powers den cancelled out but ppl r rite u shd take it into account!!!
@utsav wat would u like 2 no i mean calc errors or wat?!

Reaction score
u have to use the real values on the axis. But no need to add 10^-4 to ur answer for no reason.

Btw can someone give me the ranges of ammeter, galvanometer, microammeter and Voltmeter.

Reaction score
HI this is Shah from Bangladesh...we have got paper52 TOMORROW(23/5/111)////////
WHT DATE IS EXAM IN OTHER COUNTRIES???????NE ONE GOT EXAM BEFORE US??? =@ 8)

Reaction score
WellWIshER said:
guys should we include 10^-4 in ans like in gradient 4rm da graph

Yes , you obviously have to add that. Thats the part of your either Y or X axis value so you cannot ignore that.

Reaction score
to how many significant figures should the errors in gradient and y-intercept be given ?