• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics p5.....hall probe

Reaction score
it is predicted to ask the question related to either hall probe or cathode ray oscilloscope this year....
and till now i don't know anything about hall probe....
can anyone help me?
please post what u know about hall probe...

Reaction score
i only know that it is used to measure magnetic field strength as it gives a voltage and it is to be placed perpendicular to the field...even i wana know more abt how to place it in diagram

Reaction score
They asked Hall probe a year ago.Last May/June 2010! Would they ask that again...within 2 sessions.CRO maybe,what about discharging a capacitor?

Reaction score
Question#1 can be a real mess at times!!!!!!!! Guys dnt worry they will give the easiest practical paper this time.............. A radioactive material or any easy 1,, & fluffycloud is right they give it last year they wont be giving this time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, So relax & all the best!!

Reaction score
Hall Probe is a device to measure magnetic field strength.
It has a power source and a voltmeter connected to it. Power source is required to make current flow through the device. The slice of the semiconductor has to be perpendicular to the magnetic field lines so that the current is flowing in the direction perpendicular to the lines and thus we get maximum deflection of charged particles.
Similarly, a voltmeter is connected to measure the potential difference across two faces of the semi-conductor (Hall voltage).
The syllabus asks us to know how to use a "calibrated" hall probe.
We can calibrate a hall probe using helmholtz coils. The hall probe can be placed perpendicular to the field lines between the two coils and preferably at the mid-point of the distance between the coils. We can use a formula to calculate the B at the mid-point. So, the corresponding voltage of the hall probe in fact is equal to that value of B. We can vary the value of B by varying the current through the coils and thus we get different values of V for corresponding value of B. The, draw a calibration curve of V against B. And when placed in a field of unknown field strength, check the V and find the required value on X-axis for the value of V on y-axis, which would be the value of B.

Attachments

• hallp.gif
    hallp.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 477