• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper 1 May/June2011 discussion

Reaction score
I think for the barometer question cambridge made a mistake. There are two answers. They have made mistakes in physics igcse papers before, there was a mistake in a previous year which cie admitted in the mark scheme. The pressure at X and Y are the same because pressure=density x gravity x height, and density, gravity and height were the same at both days. The pressure on both days were also the same cos of the same heights.

Reaction score
Well, You say they made a mistake. But pressure of atmosphere is measured from the surface to the top. And the surface heights were different. I dont know. I PUT SAME ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE... but i admit its wrong. I have 5 mistakes now :(. If the On OFF on is right then only 4. Hoping the gt will be 33 A* or something like that. it was 35 A* for last year and the paper was easy...

Reaction score
Varient 1. Yes it was same height. But the mercury in the dish was at different heights. Just accept that its wrong and focus on paper 6.

Reaction score
Maybe u had a different question, i was doing variant 2. No offence but I still think im right. Good luck for ur paper 6! im doing paper 5 instead.

Reaction score
I wrote that the pressure in both barometers is the same
i did my paper 6 exam but sadly i cant discuss before 24h
Good luck everybody

Reaction score
KareemXPF said:
I wrote that the pressure in both barometers is the same
i did my paper 6 exam but sadly i cant discuss before 24h
Good luck everybody

easy or hard????

Reaction score
I know you cant discuss. Was it same difficulty as previous years? Or harder? If i did all past papers from 02 will i be okay :)

Reaction score
Ok, someone help me out,
1)What was the correct answer for the mercury barometer?
2)What was the answer for the capacitor?
Thankyou :)

Reaction score
ChelseaFTW said:
Ok, someone help me out,

Capacitor stores energy, but for the mercury barometer I am not sure, as I could've read the diagram wrong :/

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
ChelseaFTW said:
Ok, someone help me out,

Capacitor stores energy, but for the mercury barometer I am not sure, as I could've read the diagram wrong :/

My physics teacher said the answer for the barometer was the pressure at X and Y were equal.

Reaction score
burndtjamb said:
xIshtar said:
ChelseaFTW said:
Ok, someone help me out,

My physics teacher said the answer for the barometer was the pressure at X and Y were equal.

Yeah, thats what I thought, but I thought the heights were the same and put the wrong answer Q_Q.. If only I'd read it more clearly.

Reaction score
Gunner1995 said:
Well, You say they made a mistake. But pressure of atmosphere is measured from the surface to the top. And the surface heights were different. I dont know. I PUT SAME ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE... but i admit its wrong. I have 5 mistakes now :(. If the On OFF on is right then only 4. Hoping the gt will be 33 A* or something like that. it was 35 A* for last year and the paper was easy...
i chose at x = at y because the pressure on that point =0

Reaction score
Ramosk95 said:
Gunner1995 said:
i chose at x = at y because the pressure on that point =0

Yeah thats right.

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
C is correct, The capacitor stores energy and the atmospheric pressure was the same in both barometers.
pressure wasnt the same guys since the difference in hight (increased by the mercury) isnt the same , the answer is point X and Y have the same pressure !!!!!

Reaction score
what was the answer for the question on the red and violet light it was really confusing

Reaction score
AhmedNES said:
what was the answer for the question on the red and violet light it was really confusing

Well the spectrum is: Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet.

So violet bent most, which meant that it was refracted the most.

Reaction score
AhmedNES said:
speed of violet light decreases more than the red light. THAT'S THE ANSWER. :)