• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper 1 May/June2011 discussion

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I hope you did well in May/June2011 physics paper1 exam

I was searching for a topic about this discussion but i was disappointed for not finding such.

I just got some questions which i liked to know their answers
So i hope that who ever did the exam help me in knowing the answers

There was a question saying ... Which component is used as an automatic switch off when there is large current or excess current

A. A circuit breaker , and a switch
B. A fuse, and a switch
C. A circuit breaker and a fuse
D. A Fuse

I Answered C .. I hope its correct
& i wanna ask whether capacitor stores energy or current ?
& another one 4 ever who did the exam.. about atmospheric pressure & point X ..
I hope somebody answer me soon
+ i hope that anybody has any doubts would join as here

Im doing Physics & Chemistry Extended & Arabic as a first language ..
+ im so worried from the next Paper 6 physics exam .. :bad:
Thanks guys 4 reading.. Hope you answer & join me soon >>> Good Luck <<<<

Reaction score
C is correct, The capacitor stores energy and the atmospheric pressure was the same in both barometers.

Reaction score
OMG, i had a major doubt on the last two questions and now i know i am correct!.
Does neone know any sites for revising for physics paper 6?
Please let me know ASAP.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Reaction score
Guys if the atmospheric pressure was the same in both barometers then the pressure at dot X and Y why is the same which is another choice so I think the right choice was that one barometer had a lower pressure than the other
what do you think?

Reaction score
the pressure at X is less than point Y --> is the answer i chose
the reason i chose this is because atm pressure is measured from surface of the liquid till the highest point in mercury and unfortunately the heights were different
and then if u look at point X and Y both have different depths relative to the troughs so according to the eqn P=Dhg as h (depth) decreases pressure decreases so point X which is at less depth has less pressure (assuming g is constant in both cases)

Reaction score
First for the capacitor> it stores charge which is (current * time) so in short it stores current and not energy as energy which is used to drive the charge so definitely its not energy. For barometer the correct answer is pressure at X is less than that of Pressure at Y. :)

Reaction score
PUSHPAK1321 said:
First for the capacitor> it stores charge which is (current * time) so in short it stores current and not energy as energy which is used to drive the charge so definitely its not energy. For barometer the correct answer is pressure at X is less than that of Pressure at Y. :)

On a previous past paper, the answer was energy, and as you said a capacitor stores charge, and as the time goes by, the reading shown on a voltmeter increases, which means that it's energy is increasing no?

As for the barometer question, firstly, the pressure was the same on both of the days because it depends on the height of mercury.

And secondly, the pressure would have been the same at both points because pressure in liquids depends on g, depth and density. As the same liquid is used, and g is constant, and the depth at which they are submerged is the same, the pressures are the same. Pressures in liquids has nothing to do with the volume of liquid used :)

However, if you believe you are right, then you are entitled to your own opinion, and I can't change that. I wish you the best of luck with the remaining papers :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. 4 these answers
I got another question which i was confused with
The one which says .. If the switch is closed which lamp will lit
and there is a table of ON and OFF
I wanna know the answer so badly

Reaction score
KareemXPF said:

I put On Off On. Many people are saying that it was On On On as there was a route for the current to take. However, the current usually takes the simplest and quickest route, which would omit the 2nd lamp, but I guess nobody really knows, we're just all guessing :D

Reaction score
As for the barometer question, firstly, the pressure was the same on both of the days because it depends on the height of mercury.

And secondly, the pressure would have been the same at both points because pressure in liquids depends on g, depth and density. As the same liquid is used, and g is constant, and the depth at which they are submerged is the same, the pressures are the same. Pressures in liquids has nothing to do with the volume of liquid used :)

You say that the pressure was the same on both of the days so the pressure at point X is equal to the pressure at point Y and that was another choice right?

I am really confused it was a hard question :(

Reaction score
OmarUTD5 said:

You say that the pressure was the same on both of the days so the pressure at point X is equal to the pressure at point Y and that was another choice right?

I am really confused it was a hard question :(

In past papers I did the day before, I saw a similar sort of question come up before, where the pressures of two barometers were compared, both of which showed the same height but one had a bigger tube, and the pressure was the same, which is from where I made my assumption.

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
KareemXPF said:

I put On Off On. Many people are saying that it was On On On as there was a route for the current to take. However, the current usually takes the simplest and quickest route, which would omit the 2nd lamp, but I guess nobody really knows, we're just all guessing :D

Lol.. same here
i made it On off on
But there are others who answered On On On
I think i did well in this exam and must just concentrate on the next paper 6
I just hope this exam comes as easy as May/June 2010 .. ive solved all the exams in paper 6 now but i think that it is completely useless to solve past paper6 papers
Cause there arent any repeated questions + i benefit from these past papers a little..
Good Luck every one .. btw .. xlshtar .. can i get your email?

Reaction score
Current is the rate of flow of charge. So if you're answer is that the capacitor stored current, then in another way you're is.. A capacitor stores the rate of flow of charge? That actually makes no sense. In my own opinion, which I can't convince everyone with.
A capacitor is used in TIME DELAY circuits and it's stores ENERGY or CHARGE i don't really remember the question :p

Reaction score
I answered .. it stores energy
and the options were store energy / store current NOT charges

Reaction score
my physics curriculum book and both my teacher's and academic controllers said that it stored CHARGE and ENERGY, rest assured

@xIshtar I would like to note that i have solved the pastpaper with two barometers before, but if u check it accurately u will see that in that specific question: h= (which is the height from the surface of the liquid in the trough till the top surface of the liquid mercury in tube is equal in both tubes) thus both are at the same pressure since the thickness of tube doesnt affect the height of column as u respectively said.
but in our exam yesterday the h (defined previously) was different

i hope this gives u the idea of why i didnt go with ur answer :)

Reaction score
mshaheen95 said:
my physics curriculum book and both my teacher's and academic controllers said that it stored CHARGE and ENERGY, rest assured

@xIshtar I would like to note that i have solved the pastpaper with two barometers before, but if u check it accurately u will see that in that specific question: h= (which is the height from the surface of the liquid in the trough till the top surface of the liquid mercury in tube is equal in both tubes) thus both are at the same pressure since the thickness of tube doesnt affect the height of column as u respectively said.
but in our exam yesterday the h (defined previously) was different

i hope this gives u the idea of why i didnt go with ur answer :)

Ahh, seems I made a silly error then..

The lamps were On Off On, as I asked my Physics teacher today...

Reaction score
KareemXPF said:
Are you sure??????? :D :D
if its correct i would have 2 mistakes only :p

Me too :)

And yes I'm sure, me and my classmate drew the diagram for her :)

Reaction score
Well i wanna know the correct answer for the barometer question.. cause if i get it correct ill just have 1 mistake.. Please guys search 4 the correct answer.. ask your teachers !!!!!!! :)