• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Paper 2

Reaction score
How about this one??? Do you think I will get any marks??? As far as I have known it is the diode which acts as the rectifier...

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Prince III said:
Heshna said:
hey guys..for the question on rectifier ...(section B last question)...I had drawn a circuit with a diode,a variable resistor, a switch and a lamp....Is it good ????

that is all what you drew ?
if this is all what you drew then you would be given just 1 mark for the diode

the correct diagram is as below !!

@ Prince
NOOO i gave my physics paper in may june 2010..i may help you on this ..yar your diagram
is wrong firstly because...rectifier isnt a seperate component ..a diode act
as rectifier by converting AC current to DC current so allows electric current to flow in
one direction but generally does not allow it to flow in the opposite direction...so d.c supply wasnt required
and secondly how can you have BOTH AC and DC source of power supply in one curcuit ..the current wont flow ....actually if u can tell me whole of the qtn i may be of greater help :)

Reaction score
Leone said:
How about this one??? Do you think I will get any marks??? As far as I have known it is the diode which acts as the rectifier...

if the qtn didnt ask to put in specific components a load, a rectifier(diode) and a. c supply NOT d.c supply are enough to score full marks..and if i wudve been asked to draw the circuit i wudve have connected the inputs terminals of a CRO first across the a.c supply and then across the load ( to see the effects of rectifier) and drew a graph in the end also :)

actually you wont lose all of the marks since it depicts your understanding of the rectifier to an extent but you wont get full too
how many marks did it carry?

Reaction score
Actually the question was asking to draw a diagram showing how a rectifier can be used to charge a battery... That means charging a battery after converting the a.c current to d.c current. They actually gave a transformer question and then asked this question... We have to draw the diagram how the ac current from the transformer can be used to charge a battery by converting the a.c current to d.c. current by using a rectifier... so is my answer correct now that you know the question @ahsan99... :)

Reaction score
the question was to draw a diagram showing how A.C is converted into D.C to charge a battery
i askhed my physics sir about this question and he said that the main (major) thing was to draw a DIODE ( forward biased) and a battery in series with a voltmeter across the battery so that we could know when the battery is fully charged :)

he also made a diagram to make life easy so here is correct and perfect diagram
this question was of 2 or maybe 3 marks :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
Leone said:
Actually the question was asking to draw a diagram showing how a rectifier can be used to charge a battery... That means charging a battery after converting the a.c current to d.c current. They actually gave a transformer question and then asked this question... We have to draw the diagram how the ac current from the transformer can be used to charge a battery by converting the a.c current to d.c. current by using a rectifier... so is my answer correct now that you know the question @ahsan99... :)

I got it :)
so this makes the qtn a little different..actually u did it quite very well but not perfectly well. so dont worry ull be getting some marks ok. wht i suggest is that AC current shud have been supplied by step down transformer( towards which you pointed out by putting in Ac supply) . Then a rectifier ( a bridge of diodes were required so that AC can be converted into DC effectively) wud convert AC into DC which will charge the battery
remember DC is required for charging so you were right at it. secondly resistance may also be required to reduce the current in the circuit .And a voltmeter across the battery .. Hope that helps :). You can get up to two marks ..one mark is guaranteed

Reaction score
ahsan thanks for the kind help but now the problem is fully solved !
the above diagram was made by an experienced teacher of physics :)

Reaction score
Prince III said:
ahsan thanks for the kind help but now the problem is fully solved !
the above diagram was made by an experienced teacher of physics :)

Yes np :)
actually i was taught the same :)

Reaction score
i guys i am hell worried i did a mistake even i drew a diode and battery in series with a voltmeter but i drew the diode after the battery would i be given marks ?
help

my diagram was like this

i hope not all marks would be deducted this was of three marks i guess

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 88
Reaction score
rose1700 said:
i guys i am hell worried i did a mistake even i drew a diode and battery in series with a voltmeter but i drew the diode after the battery would i be given marks ?
help

my diagram was like this

i hope not all marks would be deducted this was of three marks i guess

@rose1700: I am sorry to tell, but the diode you have drawn is wrong. It could have been correct if you drew a forward biased diode. Not a reverse biased diode as you have drawn. Drawing the diode after the battery is another problem. But as you have the required components shown on the diagram you may be awarded some marks.

Reaction score
Prince III said:
the question was to draw a diagram showing how A.C is converted into D.C to charge a battery
i askhed my physics sir about this question and he said that the main (major) thing was to draw a DIODE ( forward biased) and a battery in series with a voltmeter across the battery so that we could know when the battery is fully charged :)

Yar sorry but look convectional current direction is positive to negative ..and look the current goes in the direction where the arrow of the diode (symbol) points ..so check leone diagram ..thats right ..ures isnt ..it mustve been placed other way round..any ways concentrate on mcqs and atp papers..inshAllah ull do well :)

Reaction score
@ahsan99: It is not compulsory to put the voltmeter across the battery right??? They just asked us to show how a battery will be charged by doing so. :)

Reaction score
ahsan99 said:
Prince III said:

Yar sorry but look convectional current direction is positive to negative ..and look the current goes in the direction where the arrow of the diode (symbol) points ..so check leone diagram ..thats right ..ures isnt ..it mustve been placed other way round..any ways concentrate on mcqs and atp papers..inshAllah ull do well :)

sorry over here i made the battery in wrong direction as i was in hurry but i am sure in paper i made forward biased :)

secondly , leone as it was 3 marks question i dont think we have to just put diode on the circuit there must be something else and that was voltmeter to check when the battery is fully charged :)

Reaction score
well whatever but i guess we should not fight fo just three mark question , rather we should concentrate on our next upcoming papers peraparation :)

make this topic to an END !! :)

Reaction score
Leone said:
@ahsan99: It is not compulsory to put the voltmeter across the battery right??? They just asked us to show how a battery will be charged by doing so. :)

Actually it isnt compulsory but its advisable ...ur answer isnt a 100 percent perfect answer since many other components may have been included for example ..input of AC from transformer shown., resistor , voltmeter..but i do think u can get up to 2 marks..hope for the best :)

Reaction score
hey..i did all the questions in section B..i meant to cut one out but i forgot..do u think theyll cut marks for it?

Reaction score
Morphy said:
hey..i did all the questions in section B..i meant to cut one out but i forgot..do u think theyll cut marks for it?

only first two would be checked and the third would be cancelled out :)

Reaction score
karthik said:
Nirvanknight said:
Prince III said:
Mine went tooooo good , Awsome :)
just one question in section A was the only difficult one for me !!

@ Prince III: is it the question on Protostar, interstellar clouds??? i got it right but not so sure...it involves fusion oh hygrogen molecules... etc...[/qu

This is the answer for 4 marks
>Hydrogen is less dense than air so it rises up into the space
> A set of hydrogen atoms fuse together due to the high energy in space
>The fused hydrogen forms HELIUM releasing energy
>The HELIUM fuses with more helium atoms forming stars on the space :)

this answer is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!