• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PHYSICS PAPER 3 DOUBT

Reaction score
I wish I could help.... Doing Cambridge O Levels... But did search the paper you have problem in... Thought I could give it a try.... Can you specify the paper code??? Cant find Paper 31?

Reaction score
First I suggest you find the answer for 1)d i()
The speed gained by the trolley of weight o.4N in 1.2s is = 1.2 x 0.5
Speed gained= 0.6 m/s
Then for 1)d(ii) You have to use the above value to find the distance based on the equation Distance = Speed x Time
so Distance = 0.6 m/s x 1.2 s
0.72 m
:)
The equation i used for 1 (d) (ii) is 100% correct, but the marking scheme gives an answer of 0.36 m :S For 0.72 m you only get 1 mark
I may have misunderstood the question

Reaction score
Yes I agree that its 100% correct but its just used for CONSTANT speed... When speed is not constant you have to use EQUATIONs of motion....

Its

2as= v final square - v initial square

s is distance

2(.50)s= .6 square - 0

Find s which is .36 m....

Reaction score
Or you can use that other one..

s= v initial into time + 1/2 a t^2

s= 0 into 1.2 + 1/2 (.50) 1.2 ^2

s= .5 into .5 into 1.44

s= .36 m

Reaction score
To be honest I learned that a week or two ago... I wonder its in there in our Syllabus or not.... But teacher did explained it... And the junior class got a question about it in Physics (PRE MOCKS EXAMS) So probably its there in our syllabus.... Its in Cambridge IGCSE syllabus but I have not found a question regarding it in O level Physics paper.... But still there is a question about it in the pre mocks EXAMS...

Reaction score
thanks guys for your help, but the motion equations aren't mentioned in the syllabus so are we supposed to know them or use them in our calculations?

Reaction score
I guess just use them in your calculations... So you just need to remember when speed is not constant you have to use these equations...

And you are welcome... :)