• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

In part b air resistance is taken as negligible. since F=crv which is the resistive force calculated as 3.6x10^-5 N is very very small compared to wieght of the ball which is equal to 0.15N . this justifies neglectin air resistace in part b

Reaction score
I cannot understand these two question: 4b and 5 all from may/june 2009 first variant paper 2
some1 explain pls

For 4b you should just think of the springs as resistors (like resistors in parallel and in series) the two springs in the first box of the question are in series and the two springs in the second box are in parallel. Now in series, you can say (just like how you find total resistance of 2 resistors in series) the extension is e + e = 2e (if you want to take it as resistors then you can say that resistance of each is e, so total resistance would be 2e). Its the same for all of them, just take them as resistors. Now to find k for each, you just use the equation F=kx, and use the respective extensions that you have calculated for each arrangement.

For number 5 it was a real challenge, especially part (b), but i think i got it (not sure if i am right though), i dont think i need to explain (a) right? Ok so part be, first calculate path difference, to do this first find the distance S2M (distance from S2 to M) using Pythagoras, then the path difference would be S2M - S1M = 128 - 100 = 28 (path difference is basically the difference that each wave has to travel, as the wave from S1 only travels 100 cm and wave from S2 travels 128 cm). Now for the intensity of sound to be 0 (a minima) the path difference should be (n +0.5)(lamda). So we have the speed (330) and 2 frequencies (1 kHz and 4kHz) so calculate 2 values of lamda using both these 2 frequencies, you will get 33 cm and 8.25 cm. Now after this part i am a bit less sure :p but i think our minima should be any point between 33 and 8.25. Remember where we said path difference and we said (n+0.5) x(lamda) right? Replace that n with any number starting from 1 alright, and equate that to your path difference (first it would be (1.5)(lamda) = 28) find lamda for each, now after that replace n with 2 then with 3 then with 4 and find lamda for each, now count how many of your lamdas that you found are between 33 and 8.25 (the two values we calculated before, you should get 2 values, that is the number of minima! But im not so sure if im right, but it seems like its right :)

Sorry for it being so long but that question was kinda tricky, hope you understand :)

Reaction score
May/June 2007 - Question Paper 2 - Question 4 - Part (d)(i) and (ii)

I've tried till here, but I don't know how to get the angle ? Maybe my diagram is wrong?

2wlub0k.jpg

(I know its not neat :D, it was, initially.. :p)

QP: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_qp_2.pdf
MS: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_ms_2.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
question 7 b(iii) from may/june 2009 paper 2 first variant. i need explanation

Attachments

• 9702_s09_qp_2.pdf
    586.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 9702_s09_ms_2.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
For 4b you should just think of the springs as resistors (like resistors in parallel and in series) the two springs in the first box of the question are in series and the two springs in the second box are in parallel. Now in series, you can say (just like how you find total resistance of 2 resistors in series) the extension is e + e = 2e (if you want to take it as resistors then you can say that resistance of each is e, so total resistance would be 2e). Its the same for all of them, just take them as resistors. Now to find k for each, you just use the equation F=kx, and use the respective extensions that you have calculated for each arrangement.

For number 5 it was a real challenge, especially part (b), but i think i got it (not sure if i am right though), i dont think i need to explain (a) right? Ok so part be, first calculate path difference, to do this first find the distance S2M (distance from S2 to M) using Pythagoras, then the path difference would be S2M - S1M = 128 - 100 = 28 (path difference is basically the difference that each wave has to travel, as the wave from S1 only travels 100 cm and wave from S2 travels 128 cm). Now for the intensity of sound to be 0 (a minima) the path difference should be (n +0.5)(lamda). So we have the speed (330) and 2 frequencies (1 kHz and 4kHz) so calculate 2 values of lamda using both these 2 frequencies, you will get 33 cm and 8.25 cm. Now after this part i am a bit less sure :p but i think our minima should be any point between 33 and 8.25. Remember where we said path difference and we said (n+0.5) x(lamda) right? Replace that n with any number starting from 1 alright, and equate that to your path difference (first it would be (1.5)(lamda) = 28) find lamda for each, now after that replace n with 2 then with 3 then with 4 and find lamda for each, now count how many of your lamdas that you found are between 33 and 8.25 (the two values we calculated before, you should get 2 values, that is the number of minima! But im not so sure if im right, but it seems like its right :)

Sorry for it being so long but that question was kinda tricky, hope you understand :)
thanks a lot ! i appreciate it :)

Reaction score
Reaction score
May/June 2007 - Question Paper 2 - Question 4 - Part (d)(i) and (ii)

I've tried till here, but I don't know how to get the angle ? Maybe my diagram is wrong?

2wlub0k.jpg

(I know its not neat :D, it was, initially.. :p)

QP: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_qp_2.pdf
MS: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_ms_2.pdf

Thanks in advance.
If you need to get the angle that you've question marked, simply subtract it from 90 degrees.

Reaction score

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s03_qp_2.pdf

please help me for no. 3(a)(ii) and b(i) :(

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s03_qp_2.pdf

please help me for no. 3(a)(ii) and b(i) :(

For 3)a)ii)1. where the line stops and the curve starts, that's the point because Hooke's law is obeyed when extension is proportional to the load (force). and for 2. you know the equation relating F, k and x is F = kx, so to find k it would be the inverse of the gradient of the graph starting from 0 and only uptil the point that you marked in 1.

Now b(i)1., the extension of the wire will be the distance the pulley has rotated ok? so we have to calculate the arc made by the angle 6.5 degrees on the pulley. You will find that to be 0.17 cm. For 2. all you need to is calculate the strain caused by the extension of the wire by 0.17 cm, strain is extension/length, so it would be (0.17 cm)/(250 cm) = 0.00068, this value calculated is also the increase as the initial strain was 0 because there was 0 extension.

Reaction score
For 3)a)ii)1. where the line stops and the curve starts, that's the point because Hooke's law is obeyed when extension is proportional to the load (force). and for 2. you know the equation relating F, k and x is F = kx, so to find k it would be the inverse of the gradient of the graph starting from 0 and only uptil the point that you marked in 1.

Now b(i)1., the extension of the wire will be the distance the pulley has rotated ok? so we have to calculate the arc made by the angle 6.5 degrees on the pulley. You will find that to be 0.17 cm. For 2. all you need to is calculate the strain caused by the extension of the wire by 0.17 cm, strain is extension/length, so it would be (0.17 cm)/(250 cm) = 0.00068, this value calculated is also the increase as the initial strain was 0 because there was 0 extension.

But how do i calculate the arc ?

Reaction score
1. line's are further apart in second order
2. Angle difference between the first order and the second order is greater, therefore less brightness is observed.

Thanks dude ! Seems like you are good in physics ! :p