• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey guys . I am having difficulty in this question , please explain me.!!!

How do we calculate the speed the speed of sound ?

Attachments

• wave1.PNG
    wave1.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 10
  • wave2.PNG
    wave2.PNG
    43.3 KB · Views: 7
  • wave 3.PNG
    wave 3.PNG
    51 KB · Views: 7
  • wave1.PNG
    wave1.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 5
  • wave2.PNG
    wave2.PNG
    43.3 KB · Views: 2
  • wave 3.PNG
    wave 3.PNG
    51 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
One thing: that if the question about projectile says that the ball just passes over the wall (if the ball is thrown upwards towards a wall) ....... does this mean that the ball reaches maximum height when it passes over the top of the wall height?

Reaction score
same problem here too. if you got solution for this please help.

here emkay answered this...

it says clearly, (for time t=1.0sec) and in terms of A.
1. the displacement due to wave T1 alone = put your finger on t=1.0 sec then drag it down and see where it touches the wave T1 alone that would be -0.5A
2. the displacement due to wave T2 alone = you must have drawn wave T2 before to do this, and if you have drawn it correctly, do the same you did in 1. to find the displacement and you should be able to get 0.5A.
3. Since both the amplitude's of wave's T1 and T2 are same, it cancels out and the resultant displacement is zero.

Reaction score
here emkay answered this...

it says clearly, (for time t=1.0sec) and in terms of A.
1. the displacement due to wave T1 alone = put your finger on t=1.0 sec then drag it down and see where it touches the wave T1 alone that would be -0.5A
2. the displacement due to wave T2 alone = you must have drawn wave T2 before to do this, and if you have drawn it correctly, do the same you did in 1. to find the displacement and you should be able to get 0.5A.
3. Since both the amplitude's of wave's T1 and T2 are same, it cancels out and the resultant displacement is zero.

I get this , but I think i have made mistake on my drawing part. at 1.0 secs i got , A in negative. Thats the problem,how do you do this ?

Reaction score
I get this , but I think i have made mistake on my drawing part. at 1.0 secs i got , A in negative. Thats the problem,how do you do this ?

the wave lags .... mean its coming after the original one... right? so if you draw in this way the answer can be correct now?

Reaction score
One thing: that if the question about projectile says that the ball just passes over the wall (if the ball is thrown upwards towards a wall) ....... does this mean that the ball reaches maximum height when it passes over the top of the wall height?

anyone?

Reaction score
Hey guys this is for kinematics.. They are 3 accleration-time graphs, can sum1 please describe each of them 4 me

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20121030_134011.jpg
    IMG_20121030_134011.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hey guys . I am having difficulty in this question , please explain me.!!!

How do we calculate the speed the speed of sound ?
when calculating speed of sound in such an expt, you already know the frequency because it is adjusted or you can calculate it from the graph by counting for the period of the wave , and then using F=1/T

wavelength is calculated when the microphone picks a maxima (antinode) and is moved along to a minima(node) to a maxima(antinode) ...that would be half lamda. now the length is calculated while moving the microphone ............so correlate it to equation 0.5 lamda= ( ur value) of L and substitute for lamda

speed of sound then is
V=f X (lamda)

Reaction score
when calculating speed of sound in such an expt, you already know the frequency because it is adjusted or you can calculate it from the graph by counting for the period of the wave , and then using F=1/T

wavelength is calculated when the microphone picks a maxima (antinode) and is moved along to a minima(node) to a maxima(antinode) ...that would be half lamda. now the length is calculated while moving the microphone ............so correlate it to equation 0.5 lamda= ( ur value) of L and substitute for lamda

speed of sound then is
V=f X (lamda)

Thank you. It helped :)

Reaction score
yes , i made the new wave behind the original one , still not getting answers. tanks though. .

why behind? after the original wave....... look lag means .. coming after ... so after some time of the original the next comes....
so its after the original one

Reaction score
plz can anyone tell me the frequency ranges of different electromagnetic waves...plz help needed asap...