• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Zaq Zainab Thought blocker & Suchal Riaz
I`m tagging u guys because the questions is very challenging and i only expect the right answer from you guys.
Here the is the question. My confusion is that why we take highest gradient point as the the lowest resistance where the resistance is the reciprocal.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w05_qp_1.pdf
Q 34
I din't got your tag... :cry:
My way of doing this question:¬
Method i)
Make accurate scale diagram... Then at each point (A,B,C,D) calculate resistance with formula R = 1 / m you'll find at C there is lower resistance...
Method ii)
As R = V / I ; R is the ratio of V:I so when drawing a line of best fit i.e is drawing a st. line from origin (zero , zero) check which point is closer to the line, I got exact at C

Hope you got it.. (y)
Method i) would take sometime but will give accurate result if your scale is correct :)
Method ii) is also valid... I would prefer this method rather than first...
P.S. After completing whole paper, if I had a time, I would check it with both of this method.
All the best PAPA :D

Reaction score
Zaq Zainab Thought blocker & Suchal Riaz
I`m tagging u guys because the questions is very challenging and i only expect the right answer from you guys.
Here the is the question. My confusion is that why we take highest gradient point as the the lowest resistance where the resistance is the reciprocal.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w05_qp_1.pdf
Q 34

The fact is that the gradient is not what affects the resistance; at any point, the resistance of a material can be obtained by applying a potential difference V across it's terminals, and measuring the current I through it. After doing this, the value of V/I should give you the resistance of the material. If they asked you at what point the rate of change of resistance was highest, then B makes complete sense.

However, since differentiation is all about minute changes (whole of calculus, really, but only differentiation is worth a look in this case) and we are concerned with exact values, we do not need differentiation to obtain an answer.

What Thought blocker has said above is absolutely right, which I think looks a little like this:Resistance of a fluid.JPG

Hope this helped!

Good Luck for all your exams!

Reaction score
The fact is that the gradient is not what affects the resistance; at any point, the resistance of a material can be obtained by applying a potential difference V across it's terminals, and measuring the current I through it. After doing this, the value of V/I should give you the resistance of the material. If they asked you at what point the rate of change of resistance was highest, then B makes complete sense.

However, since differentiation is all about minute changes (whole of calculus, really, but only differentiation is worth a look in this case) and we are concerned with exact values, we do not need differentiation to obtain an answer.

What Thought blocker has said above is absolutely right, which I think looks a little like this:View attachment 44027

Hope this helped!

Well I din't get that differentiation part, explain me that thing :eek: differentiation q karna tha ?
And yes I meant the same thing ;) ;)

Reaction score

What Thought blocker has said above is absolutely right, which I think looks a little like this:View attachment 44027

Hope this helped!

I disagree wid dis

Reaction score
So, lemme explain you...
R = V / I yes ?
It means R is in the ratio of V : I yes ?
And we are given I - V graph yes ?
So we can draw a line of best fit, that is from origin, and the line of best fit here is resistance.
And we are asked to find the least resistance in the whole graph..
We are given points A,B,C,D..
Now you attach all point from origin to A,B,C,D
you'll see The steepest line at C point... (Steepest the gradient lower will be the Resistance, hope you got the answer, if no lemme elaborate)
And as you know, R = 1/m yes ? ; so, High the m, less is the R : Here we have the steepest line at C then answer is C
Well, if we were asked for the highest resistance, answer would be A, as it has the lowest steepness from other three.
Hope you got it :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, lemme explain you...
R = V / I yes ?
It means R is in the ratio of V : I yes ?
And we are given I - V graph yes ?
So we can draw a line of best fit, that is from origin, and the line of best fit here is resistance.
And we are asked to find the least resistance in the whole graph..
We are given points A,B,C,D..
Now you attach all point from origin to A,B,C,D
you'll see The steepest line at C point... (Steepest the gradient lower will be the Resistance, hope you got the answer, if no lemme elaborate)
And as you know, R = 1/m yes ? ; so, High the m, less is the R : Here we have the steepest line at C then answer is C
Well, if we were asked for the highest resistance, answer would be D, as it has the lowest steepness from other three.
Hope you got it :)
U dont calculate gradient by joing a point wid origin -_-

Reaction score