• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Guys please help with this question!!!! PLEASE.

A ball is thrown with an initial velocity of 20m/s at an angle of 30 to the horizontal. Calculate the horizontal distance travelled by the ball.

I've found the horizontal and vertical components.

Vv= 10 m/s
Vh= 17.3 m/s

I can't seem to figure out how to find the time! :(

Reaction score
Guys please help with this question!!!! PLEASE.

A ball is thrown with an initial velocity of 20m/s at an angle of 30 to the horizontal. Calculate the horizontal distance travelled by the ball.

I've found the horizontal and vertical components.

Vv= 10 m/s
Vh= 17.3 m/s

I can't seem to figure out how to find the time! :(

Right so...
In order to find Horizontal distance travelled
You need Vh and time taken..
Vh= 20cos 30
Use equations of motion to find time taken.
Use S=ut +0.5at^2
where:
S=0
U=10
a=-9.8
t= ?
S is 0 because overall vertical displacement is 0.
so you have 10t-4.9t^2=0
sove for t
you get 10/4.9
substitute back in orginal equation
Horizontal distance = Vh * 10/4.9= 20 cos30* 10/4.9= 35.3

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think that a point source will cause two completely in phase waves with same speed to be produced (because of diffraction), but perhaps the two loudspeakers will produce waves that are slightly out of phase with each other. My imagination is not good enough to imagine what effects this may have, but perhaps this may help you arrive at your explanation. Maybe somehow two waves with a phase difference are not able to cause complete destruction.

Oh, maybe that one can also be a factor. Thanks a lot.

omg

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
we have to find the distance. the formula for distance is d= v*t. we know the speed of the a radio wave which is 3*10 ^8
now we need the time. time base setting is 0.2 * 10 ^-6 and the distance between the emitted and reflected pulse is 4 blocks so multiply them and you will get the time. put it in the formula and you will get the distance
Oh so we count the blocks from each pulse's middle. Got it. One thing you forgot to mention was to divide in the end by 2 as the wave reflects and then comes back..

omg

Reaction score
Oh so we count the blocks from each pulse's middle. Got it. One thing you forgot to mention was to divide in the end by 2 as the wave reflects and then comes back..
Yes , you will divide it by 2 to get the distance from source to reflector. missed that out X_X

Reaction score
Explain this to me. I got the density 2.685. and % uncertainty of mass and volume as 1.7 and 5% respectively. I don't know how to get final uncertainty of density as 0.18 in the marking scheme. Shouldn't we just add 1.7 and 5?

Attachments

• Captnure.PNG
    Captnure.PNG
    53 KB · Views: 4

omg

Reaction score
Explain this to me. I got the density 2.685. and % uncertainty of mass and volume as 1.7 and 5% respectively. I don't know how to get final uncertainty of density as 0.18 in the marking scheme. Shouldn't we just add 1.7 and 5?
did you convert grams into kg and cm into m while finding density? i am getting it as 2685.2 after conversion

omg

Reaction score
did you multiply the uncertainity of volume by 3?

Reaction score
did you multiply the uncertainity of volume by 3?
yes i did all that and i got the uncertainty of mass and volume. but i can't figure out how to get the uncertainty of density with those values. here is ms

Attachments

• Cannnpture.PNG
    Cannnpture.PNG
    34.4 KB · Views: 2

omg

Reaction score
yes i did all that and i got the uncertainty of mass and volume. but i can't figure out how to get the uncertainty of density with those values. here is ms
percentage unc. = absolute/ true value. we have true value and percentage unc. ( 5 + 1.7)for density. put the values in the formula. you will get 0.18

Reaction score
percentage unc. = absolute/ true value. we have true value and percentage unc. ( 5 + 1.7)for density. put the values in the formula. you will get 0.18
what? which one is absolute value and which one is true value? should i take perc. uncertainty as 6.7?