• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
yeah i thought so too
but for Gravitational potential E don't we say energy stored in a mass due to its work done against the gravitational field ?:(
i think it's the first one; cause it's the energy stored right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah i thought so too
but for Gravitational potential E don't we say energy stored in an mass due to its work done against the gravitational field ?:(
Yeah true...I just define electric potential energy as the energy possesed by a charge when placed in an electric field (that's what i've been taught) :)

Reaction score
Isnt it a bit of both?Total Dest will be on 180

really? I'm confused
In the que I just posted , the waves have a phase diff of 90 degrees and in the next part they are adding their displacements to find the maximum displacement of resultant :s

Reaction score
really? I'm confused
In the que I just posted , the waves have a phase diff of 90 degrees and in the next part they are adding their displacements to find the maximum displacement of resultant :s
I think we can find the relative change in phase difference with time using 1/8 x 360 = 45 so 45 degree change in every 1/8 of the period

Then you can draw the graph and find out the sums by adding.3/8 should be 90+135= 225

Again im not really sure about that question,whats the year?

Reaction score
I think we can find the relative change in phase difference with time using 1/8 x 360 = 45 so 45 degree change in every 1/8 of the period

Then you can draw the graph and find out the sums by adding.3/8 should be 90+135= 225

yeah so we get a phase diff of 225, but what about the displacements? will they get added or subtracted to find the resultant displacement?

the book says its dec 2003/P3 but I' m not sure if its true. :p

Reaction score
yeah so we get a phase diff of 225, but what about the displacements? will they get added or subtracted to find the resultant displacement?

the book says its dec 2003/P3 but I' m not sure if its true. :p
They are the algebraic sum.Just add the 2 points coinciding that will give the largest value.Draw a vertical line through both waves and identify one point where when adding together both waves displacement will give the largest displacement

Reaction score
Anyone knows browning motion related questions in past papers?
Yes they can ask to draw apparatus,give conclusions as to what experiment shows and to explain why smoke particles are used and bigger smoke particles show little movement.

Reaction score
How to define solids, liquids and gases and their spacing and also crystalline, polymer and amorphous solids? ... it came up in a paper once :/

Reaction score

Last question,
these waves have a constant phase difference,no? :s so even after 1/8T they should have the same phase diff :/

Reaction score
Last question,
these waves have a constant phase difference,no? :s so even after 1/8T they should have the same phase diff :/
No they dont,as they are travelling in opposite directions hence their displacements will be different.Think of it like forming a stationary wave.At one time there will be large displacement where there is total constructive and at one there will be zero as there is total destructive.Getting me?

PS are my answers the right way to solve this?

Reaction score
Yes they can ask to draw apparatus,give conclusions as to what experiment shows and to explain why smoke particles are used and bigger smoke particles show little movement.
Can u give an answer to all that u said? It would be really helpful.

Drawings and stuff as well :)

Reaction score
No they dont,as they are travelling in opposite directions hence their displacements will be different.Think of it like forming a stationary wave.At one time there will be large displacement where there is total constructive and at one there will be zero as there is total destructive.Getting me?

PS are my answers the right way to solve this?
Oh I understand now. Thanks a lot :)

btw, that means 90 degree phase diff can cause both constructive & destructive interference?
and the progressive waves that form a stationary wave ie the reflected nd incident waves have variable phase differences.. means they are not coherent, right?!

I'm posting the answer, you may check it from here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 10