• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 64101

Why can't it be B or C?
Because area under Force extension graph is always the work done in stretch the wire, given no plastic deformation has occurred. If plastic deformation occurs then the area under the graph beyond yield point, is the energy used to permanently deform the wire
t
Not B because the wire is extended plastically and it will not go back to it's original lenght, so the energy is use up in misplacing the atoms in the structure of the wire

Not C because the first part of the graph where the wire extends elastically, the energy is used strechs the wire not deform it permanently thus no heat.

D is the right option

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's a slight inaccuracy from CIE I believe. Instead of "infinite", you should interpret as "very large".
There is no problem with the word 'infinite' but I just wanted to ask that why this option is not correct although it is possible

Reaction score
How to do this? I did it just by comparing their units but I want a proper method if anyone could help plz

Screenshot_20180609_150331.jpg

Reaction score
Is it D?
If so then:
The equation used will be F=ma, Density=M/V and v=s/t
so M=Density*(A*s/t)
M=kgs-1
F=M*v
F=kgms-2
F=Density*A*v^2

Last edited:
Reaction score
How to do this? I did it just by comparing their units but I want a proper method if anyone could help plz

View attachment 64103
I think there are about 3 methods to attempt this one.
P=pgh, P=F/A
F=P*A
F=pgh*A
g*h becomes v^2(their units multiply to form the units of v^2).
F=p(v^2)(A) which is D

2nd method:
F=mv/t, p=m/V, v=l/t
p=m/V becomes m=p*V
Replace m=p*V into F=mv/t
F=p*V*v/t
V can be broken up into A and l(area and length)
F=p*A*l*v/t
l/t=v, so:
F=p*A*v^2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Help?
upload_2018-6-9_9-28-27-png.64105