• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
how do you find the time interval using the callibrated time base of a cro?

Reaction score
Asalam-o-Alaikum!
could you please answer this question for me and give the working out as well?? nd asap!
A certain organ pipe, closed at one end, can resonate at consecutive frequencies of 640 Hz, 896 Hz and 1152 Hz. Deduce its fundamental frequency.

Reaction score
ScreenShot2013-01-26at111205AM.png
In this question, logically the answer I think (and also my teacher said this) that it would be A because the cell needs to be varied (in order to increase voltage, current and thus allow the diode to conduct) so B and C are wrong. Then it has to be A because D isn't forward-biased i.e. current travels from positive terminal and is blocked by the diode, so it HAS to be A but the mark scheme says that the answer is D for some reason, can anyone please care to explain?

Reaction score
can sum1 plz ans ASAP
count the 1cm boxes for the wave and multiply with the caliberation. be careful to convert the time where needed.
if u don't get it then ask again and i'll do what i can to help :) gud luk :)

Reaction score
View attachment 20886
In this question, logically the answer I think (and also my teacher said this) that it would be A because the cell needs to be varied (in order to increase voltage, current and thus allow the diode to conduct) so B and C are wrong. Then it has to be A because D isn't forward-biased i.e. current travels from positive terminal and is blocked by the diode, so it HAS to be A but the mark scheme says that the answer is D for some reason, can anyone please care to explain?
maybe bcuz the question says "when it JUST conducts" then if it is working then it would record the voltage of the passing of current and we can't record it for the instant it begins to conduct... by reversing the diode it blocks the current after it reaches the diode and that current is measured.

Reaction score
maybe bcuz the question says "when it JUST conducts" then if it is working then it would record the voltage of the passing of current and we can't record it for the instant it begins to conduct... by reversing the diode it blocks the current after it reaches the diode and that current is measured.
I don't understand, what do you mean by 'if it's working then it would record the voltage of the passing of current...'? Can you explain further please?

Reaction score
Do you mean that in D, the current would be blocked except when the emf is high enough, at THAT point the current will start passing and the reading on the voltmeter will give the initial voltage which we're looking for? Whereas in A the current will keep passing anyway because of the position of the diode so the voltage reading won't be that of the diode when it begins to conduct. Is that what you meant? If so then I got it! :D

Reaction score
please help me with detailed explanation on question number 5 and 14 of 9702/01/M/J/03. Help!!

Reaction score
Do you mean that in D, the current would be blocked except when the emf is high enough, at THAT point the current will start passing and the reading on the voltmeter will give the initial voltage which we're looking for? Whereas in A the current will keep passing anyway because of the position of the diode so the voltage reading won't be that of the diode when it begins to conduct. Is that what you meant? If so then I got it! :D
what i mean to say is that the required potential value is of the instant the current reaches the diode. if we use a working diode circuit then we woun't be able to spot that one value as with the passage of current through the diode the value will change. however when current is blocked by the diode then for an instant the current does reach the diode and that instant is recorded, regardless of the fact whether the current keeps flowing through or is blocked.
that is what i understood but anyone if u think it is the wrong answer or there is another CORRECT explanation to the point PLZ help and correct both of us :) :)

Reaction score
To make a potentiometer, a driver cell of 4.0 V is connected across a 1.00 m length of resistance wire.
a. a) What is the potential difference across 1 cm length of wire? What length of wire has p.d. of 1.0 V across it?
b. b) A cell of unknown e.m.f E is connected to the potentiometer and the balance point is found at a distance of 37.0 cm from the end of the wire to which the galvanometer is connected. Estimate the value of E. Explain why this can only be an estimate.
c. c) A standard cell of e.m.f 1.230 V gives a balance length of 31.2 cm Use this value to obtain a more accurate value for E.