• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Use the first law of thermodynamics to explain why the specific latent heat of vaporisation is greater than the specific latent heat of fusion for aparticular substance.

the answer in the ms is:
when evaporating
greater change in separation of atoms/molecules
greater change in volume
identifies each difference correctly with ∆U and w

I don't get it^ :/

latent heat of vaporisation means heat needed to change into gas and latent heat of fusion to change into liquid, in liquid all the molecules are not free of each other that is they still have molecular interactions i.e. all the atoms are not free only some are free so less energy is required for latent heat of fusion while in gases all the atoms are free so all the bonds between molecules must be broken requiring greater energy.
From point of first law of thermodynamics :
∆U is change in internal energy which is equal to sum of work done(W) on system and heat applied to the system(Q).
For real gas ∆U includes both potential and kinetic energy. But changing state means there should be no increase in temperature hence no increase in average kinetic energy of molecules so ∆U should be zero. To change into vapor molecules have to be further apart, that is volume is more than liquid (since molecules have to be further apart potential energy is also more) . ∆U=Q+W . Most substances expand on heating, and thus external work is done by the system on atmospheric pressure to increase in volume. So work done is -W (refer to note below) and since the ∆U is 0 by first law of thermodynamics heat(Q) equal in magnitude to -W should be added to the system. Since W is more incase of vapor hence Q is also more.
Note: Sign convention for the equation. W means work done on system -W is workdone by system, Q is heat added to system and -Q is heat released into environment.
Everything from point of first law I told is for ideal gases and I think the question is referring to ideal gases as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
latent heat of vaporisation means heat needed to change into gas and latent heat of fusion to change into liquid, in liquid all the molecules are not free of each other that is they still have molecular interactions i.e. all the atoms are not free only some are free so less energy is required for latent heat of fusion while in gases all the atoms are free so all the bonds between molecules must be broken requiring greater energy.
From point of first law of thermodynamics :
∆U is change in internal energy which is equal to sum of work done(W) on system and heat applied to the system(Q).
For real gas ∆U includes both potential and kinetic energy. But changing state means there should be no increase in temperature hence no increase in average kinetic energy of molecules so ∆U should be zero. To change into vapor molecules have to be further apart, that is volume is more than liquid (since molecules have to be further apart potential energy is also more) . ∆U=Q+W . Most substances expand on heating, and thus external work is done by the system on atmospheric pressure to increase in volume. So work done is -W (refer to note below) and since the ∆U is 0 by first law of thermodynamics heat(Q) equal in magnitude to -W should be added to the system. Since W is more incase of vapor hence Q is also more.
Note: Sign convention for the equation. W means work done on system -W is workdone by system, Q is heat added to system and -Q is heat released into environment.
Is this As level ? -_-

Reaction score
Please help Usama321 & ZaqZainab and others
The electric power consumed by a device may be calculated by using either of the two expressions P=I2R or P=V2/R.
The first expression indicates that it is directly proportional to R whereas the second expression indicates inverse proportionality.
How can the seemingly different dependence of P or R in these expressions can be explained?

Reaction score
The electric power consumed by a device may be calculated by using either of the two expressions P=I2R or P=V2/R.
The first expression indicates that it is directly proportional to R whereas the second expression indicates inverse proportionality.
How can the seemingly different dependence of P or R in these expressions can be explained?
This is something that sometimes confuses me too
It all comes to down to the V= IR. We know that if we increase the resistance of a circuit, the pd across that point should increase. But, we also know that the current would decrease overall in the circuit, which would itself result in a lower pd across that point.

In our case, if the voltage across that point is kept the same, than increasing resistance would decrease the current, which would lead to an inverse relationship with power as our main equation is p =IV

However, if the current through the circuit is same, than increasing the resistance would increase the power dissipated across that point, leading to a direct relationship with power.

But, i am still not sure how that would work, i mean keeping the the current in the circuit the same with increasing resistance etc

Last edited:
Reaction score
It depends on whether you have constant voltage or constant current if you have a constant voltage, increasing the resistance decreases the current flowing in the system by Ohm's law and hence decreases the power consumption P = IV - decrease I, decrease V.However, if you have a constant current source, increasing the resistance increases the voltage dropped across the resistor and hence increases the power consumption.
So in one case increasing R decreases power (P=V^2/R) and in the other increasing R increases power (P=I^2R)

Reaction score
Q: A number of identical springs, each having the same spring constant, are joined in four arrangements. A different load is applied to each arrangement.
Which arrangement has the largest extension?

A: 2 springs in series; 2N
B: 3 springs in series; 1N
C: 2 springs parallel; 6N
D: 3 springs parallel; 8N

Reaction score
it cnt show the reading of 6A for two resistors...
here we r assumng 6A as I... for option A when S1 is closed then the current won't pass through the second resistor becuz current always chooses low resistance path... so for A our answer will be 12/2=6A i.e. I
n for C it is 3A i.e. I/2
got it! thank you so much :)

Reaction score
question 1 b) from oct nov 2007 paper 2 as level physics: why do they halve the percentage uncertainty from 3.8 to 1.9?

question 2 d) ii) from the same paper: why do they add the resistive force and the accelerating force instead of finding the difference?

please reply as soon as possible. thanks in advance

Reaction score
question 1 b) from oct nov 2007 paper 2 as level physics: why do they halve the percentage uncertainty from 3.8 to 1.9?

question 2 d) ii) from the same paper: why do they add the resistive force and the accelerating force instead of finding the difference?

please reply as soon as possible. thanks in advance

for Q1 (b) :- it is R(squared) n we r supposed to find the uncertainty in R not in R(squared) that's y we divide it by 2

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like them .have you made them for other topics if so please post it would be really helpful
Thanks in advance
i would luv to post them but they r nt neat at all.... my frnds has written stuff on them which i dnt want anyone to read :p
still if i get tym then i'll take the snapshots of the neat ones n post them :)

Reaction score
can someone please explain question 7 a) and b) from may june 2006 paper 2 as level physics. thanks in advance.