• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
but where did sin90 come from
First the wave is polarised by polariser P. Then the wave vibrates in only one plane ryt? So we can consider it as a sine wave which has its max at 90 degrees. Or if you consider it to be a cosine function then, at 0 degree it is max and at 60 degree, its half since (cos60=0.5) so from 0 to 60 degrees, the Q has to be rotated.

Reaction score
First the wave is polarised by polariser P. Then the wave vibrates in only one plane ryt? So we can consider it as a sine wave which has its max at 90 degrees. Or if you consider it to be a cosine function then, at 0 degree it is max and at 60 degree, its half since (cos60=0.5) so from 0 to 60 degrees, the Q has to be rotated.
ohkayy but i don't get it when do we have to relate waves to such graphs :/

Reaction score
can somebody ans this ques
describe how u would demonstrate that a sound wave of wavelength 0.1m emotted from a loudspeaker can be diffracted.(4)
what diagram needs to be made?

Reaction score
Guys can someone please help me with this question. How do you draw the diagram for this experiment :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Thanks! But do i need to always do a third differential if the second differential is zero?
I thought zero may just show that it's positive therefore minimum? or since zero can be positive or negative, you do a third differentiation?
You find minimum/maximum of something by differentiating it, and equating the derived formula to zero. Thus to find the minimum of the GRADIENT you need to differentiate dy/dx. This would be 1-8/x^3 and this would be equal to zero when x = 2 . So how do we decide if it's a minimum or a maximum?

There are various ways, one of them would be substituting in the derived equation with a value smaller than 2 and a value greater than 2. If you do so with x =1 and 3 for example, you'd find that the derived formula changes from a negative(decreasing gradient) to a positive (increasing gradient) i.e. a minimum.

Another method would be simple substitution in the gradient equation. Since it's either a minimum or a maximum at x =2, compare the gradient with any value of x and that of 2 ( The second part of the question ), if the gradient of 2 is smaller then it must be a minimum, and that's the case given.

Reaction score
You find minimum/maximum of something by differentiating it, and equating the derived formula to zero. Thus to find the minimum of the GRADIENT you need to differentiate dy/dx. This would be 1-8/x^3 and this would be equal to zero when x = 2 . So how do we decide if it's a minimum or a maximum?

There are various ways, one of them would be substituting in the derived equation with a value smaller than 2 and a value greater than 2. If you do so with x =1 and 3 for example, you'd find that the derived formula changes from a negative(decreasing gradient) to a positive (increasing gradient) i.e. a minimum.

Another method would be simple substitution in the gradient equation. Since it's either a minimum or a maximum at x =2, compare the gradient with any value of x and that of 2 ( The second part of the question ), if the gradient of 2 is smaller then it must be a minimum, and that's the case given.
Thanks!
But then you've differentiated d^2y/dx^2 = 1-8/x^3 again to give 24x^-4 to show that this gives a positive value, therefore minimum.
So third differentiation is also a method to find minimum/maximum right?

Reaction score
Assalamualaikum,
I have 2 doubts which are from phy p4. Please help me with them.
Here are the questions.

Please solve them asap.

Walaikumassalam,
For the first question:
compression of ideal gas at a constant temp: the gas if being compressed so work is being done on the gas molecules to bring them closer right? So w is +. Now it is said that temp is constant, but it is obvious that the temp will increase when the gas molecules are brought closer due to more frequent collisions, so to keep the temp constant, we have to cool it down i.e. we're removing thermal energy so q is -. Now, acc to the law of thermodynamic, (-)+(+) = 0. Thus, U is 0.

the heating of a solid with no expansion: When you're heating the solid, obviously you're supplying it with thermal energy so q is +. But it is said that it's done with no expansion i.e. no work is done on the solid particles, so w is 0. Overall, internal energy is increasing due to the particles vibrating faster due to greater thermal energy thus U is +.

the melting of ice at 0 degree C to give water at 0 degree C: for melting, the hydrogen bonds between ice has to be broken thus thermal energy is supplied to do so thus q is +. Now, no work is done in compressing the water molecules of ice. Thus w is 0. Overall, U is +.

Attachments

• DSC_0763.JPG
    DSC_0763.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me these questions? Thanks a lot.

Paper 1: May/02/40, June/04/39, June/05/39 Why not A?, June/07/40 Why not D?, Nov/08/38

Reaction score
i need help with p2 o/n 14 q1 c, q2 iii

Since you didn't mention the variant, I'm assuming it's variant 2 since that is the only variant which has part 1)c).

Attachments

• DSC_0769.JPG
    DSC_0769.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0770.JPG
    DSC_0770.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0767.JPG
    DSC_0767.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 6