• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey can anyone tell me that why do we use average force for strain energy i.e 1/2×F×e2
.....i mean isn't the extension produced by the full force rather than half the force (average force)....pls help me asap...thanks in advance ✊

Reaction score
Hey can anyone tell me that why do we use average force for strain energy i.e 1/2×F×e2
.....i mean isn't the extension produced by the full force rather than half the force (average force)....pls help me asap...thanks in advance ✊
The work done is basically the area under the graph ... And its a triangle so the formula works that way.
Practically speaking, if we use force at any given point, we'd only be calculating the energy held at that particular point ... Like the instantaneous energy or sth ... So we need to take avg force to calc the overall strain energy held by the spring.

I'm not 100% sure abt this ... So if anyone can confirm, it wud be good.

Reaction score
I know what a horizontal line is. :p I don't get why.
Lol. :p

upload_2016-1-24_8-14-24.png
consider the point X. the blue line + green line + orange line + purple line = one cycle.

0.25 = quarter cycle.

so quarter cycle = blue line only.

if you do the same for all the other points on the wave, you'll see that after quarter cycle all the points will lie on the red line.

I hope i'm successful this time :p

Reaction score
Lol. :p

View attachment 58955
consider the point X. the blue line + green line + orange line + purple line = one cycle.

0.25 = quarter cycle.

so quarter cycle = blue line only.

if you do the same for all the other points on the wave, you'll see that after quarter cycle all the points will lie on the red line.

I hope i'm successful this time :p
Yes,thank you for taking the time!

Reaction score
View attachment 58997

why will the change in potential energy and the change in kinetic energy be equal??

Conservation of energy. Total energy of an isolated system remains same (all forms in which energy is lost will be gained in other forms).
Here, there are only two energies that we need to consider, i.e, the kinetic energy and electric potential energy ... so loss in one equals the gain in other.

Reaction score
Conservation of energy. Total energy of an isolated system remains same (all forms in which energy is lost will be gained in other forms).
Here, there are only two energies that we need to consider, i.e, the kinetic energy and electric potential energy ... so loss in one equals the gain in other.

thnx.. but can you pls help with the calculation part??