• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
b (iii)

why isn't the mass in equilibrium at t=0? Since the weight + force applied to pull the mass = tension in the spring? the resultant force is zero.
It is because if you look at the the information in the question given then it states that at t=0 the mass was released....so it was the point when the resultant force does infact exist and it could have been 0 resultant force if the mass was released in any other time then t=0.

Reaction score
b (iii)

why isn't the mass in equilibrium at t=0? Since the weight + force applied to pull the mass = tension in the spring? the resultant force is zero.

If you see the upper part of question, (a), it states that mass is in equilibrium when the displacement of mass=0 . that means at 0 displacement, the weight is equal to the force created by the spring. Now at t=0, the mass has been released, the time t=0 represents the start of motion of the mass. At t=0, weight is NOT equal to the tension, so the mass moves upward. Hence there is resultant force acting on the mass, which causes it to move upwards.

Reaction score
If you see the upper part of question, (a), it states that mass is in equilibrium when the displacement of mass=0 . that means at 0 displacement, the weight is equal to the force created by the spring. Now at t=0, the mass has been released, the time t=0 represents the start of motion of the mass. At t=0, weight is NOT equal to the tension, so the mass moves upward. Hence there is resultant force acting on the mass, which causes it to move upwards.
Seems i didn't read the question correctly.....

Reaction score
upload_2017-4-29_0-26-24.png
upload_2017-4-29_0-26-45.pngupload_2017-4-29_0-27-42.png
explain?

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-29_0-27-8.png
    upload_2017-4-29_0-27-8.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2017-4-29_0-27-18.png
    upload_2017-4-29_0-27-18.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
b) i)
The phase shift between the waves (T1 and T2) is 60 degrees. Draw wave T2 5 small squares ahead of T1. Remember, both waves have same Period and Amplitude. To draw this, move the wave T2 to the right by 5 small squares. Check attachment 1.

ii) Now at time T=1 second, count the number of small squares down the X-axis until you reach the T1 wave. This is the displacement of the wave T1. Recall that 10 squares = A. Since it is 5 small squares below the time axis, it is negative. Displacement of T1 = -A/2 (Don't ignore the '-' Sign) Check attachment 2.

For wave T2, the displacement is above the time axis, so that's positive. Repeat the same counting process and you will get 5 small squares for wave t2 as well. Hence displacement = A/2

Resultant is sum of individual displacements, so that's zero.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
b) i)
The phase shift between the waves (T1 and T2) is 60 degrees. Draw wave T2 5 small squares ahead of T1. Remember, both waves have same Period and Amplitude. To draw this, move the wave T2 to the right by 5 small squares. Check attachment 1.

ii) Now at time T=1 second, count the number of small squares down the X-axis until you reach the T1 wave. This is the displacement of the wave T1. Recall that 10 squares = A. Since it is 5 small squares below the time axis, it is negative. Displacement of T1 = -A/2 (Don't ignore the '-' Sign) Check attachment 2.

For wave T2, the displacement is above the time axis, so that's positive. Repeat the same counting process and you will get 5 small squares for wave t2 as well. Hence displacement = A/2

Resultant is sum of individual displacements, so that's zero.

in b1, how to know how many small squares ahead we have to plot? i seem to have forgotten the formula/method...

Reaction score
in b1, how to know how many small squares ahead we have to plot? i seem to have forgotten the formula/method...

np i get it now... so time period of the wave is 30 small boxes
phase difference = (360/timeperiod)x timeinterval difference, so: 60=(360/30) x time interval difference , so (60x30)/360 = time interval difference = 5, which means 5 small boxes ahead of it.

Reaction score
Hi!

O/N 2009 P22, Q.1 I am having difficulty deciding how many significant figures or decimal places to use... For L = 92±1 cm, the percentage uncertainty is 1.09%. Shouldn't we write the final answer as 1%, because the smallest no. of sig fig in the given data L = 92±1 is one?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi!

O/N 2009 P22, Q.1 I am having difficulty deciding how many significant figures or decimal places to use... For L = 92±1 cm, the percentage uncertainty is 1.09%. Shouldn't we write the final answer as 1%, because the smallest no. of sig fig in the given data L = 92±1 is one?

Thanks!
NEVER write the final answer in one significant figure or as an integer.

92 is two significant figure and the uncertainty is 1 which is usually quoted in one sf. You are writing the percentage uncertainty so you shouldn't keep it in 1 sf.

Reaction score
Reaction score
They are asking for the minimum bits needed to encode the sample (to convert from analogue to digital). You can see the maximum voltage here is 15mv which requires at least 4 bits, above 15mv such as 16mv, you will need at least 5 bits. So the minimum bits needed here is 4
Ans is 4

thnx soooo much.