• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

POST YOUR BIO AND CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBT HERE !!!!

Reaction score
guys just a quick question for chem 31 the question abt the oxidant needed for ethanol ---> ethanoic acid conversion it cud be potassium manganate or dichromate. Was it necessary to mention the oxidation number?
Acidified potassium manganate (VII)
Acidified potassium dichromate (VI)
In a previous m.s they said MUST MENTION OXIDATION STATE

Reaction score
Please help me with this question.. I understand that X is a metal and Y is a non-metal. But I don't really know how the formula was derived. If the valency of X is 2 and that of Y is 3.. the formula is supposed to be X3Y2 right?
dHKXL.jpg

Reaction score
according to the mark scheme (which i got from freeexampapers.com) the answer is A. Isnt it supposed to be C? This question is from the 2000 may june paper Chemistry

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Please help me with this question.. I understand that X is a metal and Y is a non-metal. But I don't really know how the formula was derived. If the valency of X is 2 and that of Y is 3.. the formula is supposed to be X3Y2 right?
dHKXL.jpg
i dont think that 3 and 2 mean the valencies of the elements. Think abt it 2 atoms of X were deposited then there obviously has to be two atoms of X in the formula... here my weird analogy :s

Reaction score
according to the mark scheme (which i got from freeexampapers.com) the answer is A. Isnt it supposed to be C? This question is from the 2000 may june paper Chemistry
Yeah Seriously , Does Water Has effect on the pH ??? isn't water neutral ?

Reaction score
it cant be A above 7 means alkali & alkali turns damp red litmus paper blue & not the oppostie :S.... can u plz attach the ms for june 2000 ill be thankful

Reaction score
i dont think that 3 and 2 mean the valencies of the elements. Think abt it 2 atoms of X were deposited then there obviously has to be two atoms of X in the formula... here my weird analogy :s
Still didn't understand .......

Reaction score
if it was valency as u suggested then X^+2 & Y^-3 .. WHICH GIVES X3Y2... but it's the atoms not the valency .. they mentioned the NUMBER OF ATOMS deposited on each electrode & not the VALENCY of X or Y

Reaction score
if it was valency as u suggested then X^+2 & Y^-3 .. WHICH GIVES X3Y2... but it's the atoms not the valency .. they mentioned the NUMBER OF ATOMS deposited on each electrode & not the VALENCY of X or Y
But , X(2) X(3) Shows it is a valency ??!! :S

Reaction score
lsn to cut short when they say 2 atoms of X it means 2X and NOT X^2+ as well as when they say 3 atoms of Y it means 3Y and NOT Y^3- get it?

Reaction score
listen if ur confused, understand that the valency of y is 2, and the valency of x is 3. U swap them u get x2y3. This swapping helps u understand how many atoms are present for each element. therefore there are 2 atoms of x and 3 of y. read this slowly sentence by sentence and ull get it

Reaction score
listen if ur confused, understand that the valency of y is 2, and the valency of x is 3. U swap them u get x2y3. This swapping helps u understand how many atoms are present for each element. therefore there are 2 atoms of x and 3 of y. read this slowly sentence by sentence and ull get it
what u wrote is kinda contradicting :p .. DO U THINK MY ANSWER MAKES SENSE which is when they say 2 atoms of X it means 2X and NOT X^2+ as well as when they say 3 atoms of Y it means 3Y and NOT Y^3- get it?

Reaction score
when so2 is dissolved in water as follows
SO2 + H2O --> H2SO3
it gives sulphurus acid which turns blue litmus paper red .. but what im not getting is why the pH above 7 !!

Reaction score
what u wrote is kinda contradicting :p .. DO U THINK MY ANSWER MAKES SENSE which is when they say 2 atoms of X it means 2X and NOT X^2+ as well as when they say 3 atoms of Y it means 3Y and NOT Y^3- get it?
okay wait, if u get x2y3 what does this mean? It means y has a valency of 2 and x has a valency of 3, no? No its not contradicting, im also saying that 2 atoms of x form and 3 for y.