• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

POST YOUR BIO AND CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBT HERE !!!!

Reaction score
in 1, sulphur is oxidised into sulphur dioxied
in 2, sulphur dioxide reacts with oxygen and so it's oxidised into sulphur trioxide
in 3, there's no oxidation nor reduction
so 1 and 2 only, which is C :)
but isnt redox reaction for reduction followed by oxidation in terms of electron transfer?

Reaction score
in 1, sulphur is oxidised into sulphur dioxied
in 2, sulphur dioxide reacts with oxygen and so it's oxidised into sulphur trioxide
in 3, there's no oxidation nor reduction
so 1 and 2 only, which is C :)

but i thought a redox reaction was one that had reduction and oxidation... so one thing gets reduced, the other oxidised. 1 and 2 had only one , which is oxidation... am i wrong or right? thanks !

Reaction score
but i thought a redox reaction was one that had reduction and oxidation... so one thing gets reduced, the other oxidised. 1 and 2 had only one , which is oxidation... am i wrong or right? thanks !
ummmm i guess you're right but reaction 3 doesn't involve oxidation or reduction :/
and in 1 Oxygen is reduced as it gains 2 electrons and it is also reduced in 3

Reaction score
ummmm i guess you're right but reaction 3 doesn't involve oxidation or reduction :/
and in 1 Oxygen is reduced as it gains 2 electrons and it is also reduced in 3

but oxidation is also the gain of oxygen, and as you can see, SO3 became SO4...? So it gained...?

Reaction score
In equation 1 : Sulfur is oxidized since it gained oxygen..Oxygen molecules are reduced into atoms.
In equation 2 : Same as the previous one
In equation 3 :Sulfur trioxide is oxidized but the oxidation state of oxygen remained constant.
So equation 1,2 there was an oxidation and reduction due to the change in the Oxidation state of oxygen molecule
In equation 3, only oxidation took place
SO3 oxidized and H2o remained..
That way we could consider any gain of oxygen as a redox reaction not just oxidation when speaking about atoms reacted with molecules..
Check this
^^

Reaction score
can someone please explain question 27, november 2010 bio?
to answer ur question ... look at the calender ovulation doesnt occur until sept 15 .. the max days a sperm can stay in a women's reproductive system is 3-4 .. so mathematically 8 +4 = sept 12 .. ovulation wouldnt have taken place that day therefore no fertilization occurred since the egg wasnt even released & the answer therefore is B

Reaction score
to answer ur question ... look at the calender ovulation doesnt occur until sept 15 .. the max days a sperm can stay in a women's reproductive system is 3-4 .. so mathematically 8 +4 = sept 12 .. ovulation wouldnt have taken place that day therefore no fertilization occurred since the egg wasnt even released & the answer therefore is B
thankssss a lot :)