• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Private A'levels, is it worth it?

Reaction score
Hello, Assalam o Alaikum.

I've completed my O'levels just recently and have been confused about what I should do for further studies. Let me say that A'levels in college is not an option for me (affordability), what should I do now? Private A'levels, F.Sc or both? If I am to do A'levels then my subjects of choice will most probably be; Maths, Chemistry, Physics and AICT OR Further Maths. So, what do you think? Should I do it privately? If yes, then what am I being deprived of, as opposed to say, if I were to do it from college? Please share your opinions.

Thank you.
Waiting for your replies!

Reaction score
I think you should just stick to FSc..because FSc in itself is very hard, and A Levels is also very tough, especially chemistry and physics..in the end of the day, you need a degree, and if u are sure that you'll be continuing your studies in Pakistan, then FSc is probably the best option you have..and I, personally, would discourage you to do them both together...it's too difficult...
I hope i helped you..

Reaction score
I think you should just stick to FSc..because FSc in itself is very hard, and A Levels is also very tough, especially chemistry and physics..in the end of the day, you need a degree, and if u are sure that you'll be continuing your studies in Pakistan, then FSc is probably the best option you have..and I, personally, would discourage you to do them both together...it's too difficult...
I hope i helped you..

The thing is, studying in Pakistan is not my main aim, I'm going to give the SAT and all other required tests for universities abroad BUT if I do F.Sc, will that ruin my chances?

Reaction score
The thing is, studying in Pakistan is not my main aim, I'm going to give the SAT and all other required tests for universities abroad BUT if I do F.Sc, will that ruin my chances?

Honestly speaking brother, I haven't studied in Pakistan and I only know that FSc is the Pakistani board..so I don't know if it's going to ruin the chances, but what I can tell you is tht there're some very good uni's abroad that do take any board, may it be american, british, Pakistani, indian, canadian...etc..like here in Saudi Arabia, there's a uni called Al-Faisal, in Riyadh, and it's affiliated by Harvard (I'm only giving u an example of wht i know), and it takes absolutely any board..
yes, only FSc will restrict your choices abroad, but I doubt that it's going to ruin them..the best thing, in my opinion, brother, would be that you pray the Istikhara prayer..do u know how to pray it?

Reaction score
Honestly speaking brother, I haven't studied in Pakistan and I only know that FSc is the Pakistani board..so I don't know if it's going to ruin the chances, but what I can tell you is tht there're some very good uni's abroad that do take any board, may it be american, british, Pakistani, indian, canadian...etc..like here in Saudi Arabia, there's a uni called Al-Faisal, in Riyadh, and it's affiliated by Harvard (I'm only giving u an example of wht i know), and it takes absolutely any board..
yes, only FSc will restrict your choices abroad, but I doubt that it's going to ruin them..the best thing, in my opinion, brother, would be that you pray the Istikhara prayer..do u know how to pray it?

Thank you greatly for your help! Jazak ALLAH.
I don't, my mother does, I can also search for it online too.
Thank you again, I'm looking forward to hearing other people's opinion before the Istikhara prayer.

Reaction score
Thank you greatly for your help! Jazak ALLAH.
I don't, my mother does, I can also search for it online.
Thank you again, I'm looking forward to hearing other people's opinion before the Istikhara prayer.

Make the Istikhara your first option brother :) Then choose for yourself...it really helps..
and it's absolutely my pleasure! Wa iyyakum!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Wassalam,

A-level. It's okay if you do it privately ( considering that you have a clear choice choice b/w doing F.Sc and private A-level).

First, the things you will be deprived of when you do your A-level privately:
- Practical work for Science subjects, unless you join an academy for it, which is quite expensive;
- Extra Curricular activities. They matter a lot to the admission committee when you apply to US colleges (you said you are gonna take the SAT).
- A good guidance counselor. The one who will be filling out the guidance counselor section in you admission applications, and writing a recommendation letter for you.
- High school transcript. It matters to foreign universities. If you do it privately, even if you hire a private counselor, your acadmic information will be very vague, compared to those who did their highschool from a highly reputed private school.
- It will be hard to get the teacher recommendation letters. Unless you are in touch with your Olevel teachers. Because they can write you one, too.
- Class rank. You will have no class rank. Matters to colleges abroad.

BUT, all these things won't matter for you if you can communicate your financial struggles in your college application.
So, basically, it all depends on what you do with the opportunities that you have.

In my honest opinion, you shouldn't be penalized for what you can't control (low income), and I am sure the admission officers will understand this situation if you control the things that are in your control (your SATs, A-level grades).

All the best!

Reaction score
First of all, thank you considerably for your generous time. It really means a lot! :)

Secondly, if and only if I do F.Sc., then how do my chances stack up for getting admissions in US or Australian universities?

Thirdly, what is a par score for the SAT-I test? 2200+? Although I'm going to give the test next year, I still need to know because my vocabulary isn't good enough to score high, I know it.

Lastly, (this is a little opinion based), how easy or difficult do you think it is to score an 'A' grade in English language in O'level?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
You are welcome. :)

Your result/qualification won't be convincing enough, that's all. Universities in Australia convert your A-level grades into ATAR. I am not sure, they have a creterion to convert F.Sc marks into ATAR. It will be a tough call.

Yes. Get a 2200+ and you are in a good position to apply to those top US colleges.

Take the test this year. Just for practice. You won't have much time to take a practice test next year.

Very easy.

Reaction score
The criterion, that's important. I read on an admission requirements page for an Australian university (I think it was the University of Sydney) that stated that your ATAR score should be ----- or SAT equivalent; I thought this meant that the SAT score would surpass the F.Sc. equivalency criteria when 'meeting' the university requirements.

2200+ means that a minimum of 700 in Critical Reading and Writing. Tough. Real tough. :(

Okay. I will. Thank you. :)

I hope I get one. :oops:

Anyways, thank you again for your time. I guess I'll have to wait till 13th August to final my decision. Just hope that whatever I do turns out right.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Not at all. SAT is just an aptitude test, not a qualification. It can waive your English Language Requirement for the university, but it cannot 'surpass' the F.Sc equivalency.

Life is tough, my friend.

Good luck.

Reaction score
If Pakistan is ur first priority, dont even think of doing a levels. ull have to go through a hell lot of trouble later on! and i mean it, im sorry if it sounds horrible. But for pakistani unis, 50% of ur aggregate is of the entry test, which is impossible if you havnt done FSC! ull have to read, infact lick fsc books after ur done with ur a levels. I say, give SATs and do FSC :)

Reaction score
have you considered scholarship?o_O
if a guy like you is motivated enough the results should be sufficient to get a 100% in some college:cool:
dont know about karachi but in lahore there are a lot of them:D
how many As do you expect?;)
as for private study look at the past papers and books and ask yourself if you can do it(y)
fsc is quite simple but for a person from olevels it can be excruciating, how good is your rata?:p
from what i know a level has better outlook than fsc because it is quite clear how transparent the exams and examiners are:(
i think you will get a full scholarship after your result somewhere inshallah, try not to miss the oppurtunity:)

Reaction score
If Pakistan is ur first priority, dont even think of doing a levels. ull have to go through a hell lot of trouble later on! and i mean it, im sorry if it sounds horrible. But for pakistani unis, 50% of ur aggregate is of the entry test, which is impossible if you havnt done FSC! ull have to read, infact lick fsc books after ur done with ur a levels. I say, give SATs and do FSC :)
but see now a days there is more scope for Alevels hundreds of students are getting admission in gov unis also that Fsc is not of a single worth in this world .... also if you go through fsc books together with alevels books i dont think so its hard to pass entry test .

Reaction score
if a guy like you is motivated enough the results should be sufficient to get a 100% in some college:cool:
as for private study look at the past papers and books and ask yourself if you can do it(y)
fsc is quite simple but for a person from olevels it can be excruciating, how good is your rata?:p
from what i know a level has better outlook than fsc because it is quite clear how transparent the exams and examiners are:(
i think you will get a full scholarship after your result somewhere inshallah, try not to miss the oppurtunity:)
you right FSC is not worthy in this world also there is totally unfair marking in fsc :(

Reaction score
you right FSC is not worthy in this world also there is totally unfair marking in fsc :(
my cousins tell me their experience of fsc and they are like...my phy was good because in practical the examiner was a "friend":D .... chm because the mcqs were teleied;) .... but in urdu the examiner was of opponent school so he was strict:eek:
meaning that fairness and impartiality is something we give to our enemies :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Happily Insane
what say you? hm?

Reaction score
If you want to study in US then try to do as much Eca as possible. Participate in national and international academic competitions and try to win them. Try to do internship or take part in local youth campaigns. However, the most important thing is the Sat scores. Get above 2200 in both sat 1 and sat 2 and try to build an excellent eca profile. Then Insha allah you can get into a top US university with full scholarship. For US, I think A levels would be a better choice than the Pakistan board. I don't know anything about Pak, so can't say anythin about that.