• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Problem with Question No.7 , in any 0620 Paper 6...

Reaction score
Title speaks for itself :) , Can anyone lend me a hand and explain the ones in paper

Chemistry , October/November 2008 Q.7 : ( To save , right click and choose Save File as )
(a) (1) I warm the acid , (2) I add the Magnesium oxide in excess (3) Filter filter? ( Just making sure on A because the mark scheme is WEIRD )
(b) According to the mark scheme (1) Huh... crystallising what?! , (2) Didn't get anything , what to evaporate?! , (3) cool what and what crystals will be formed?! (4) What crystals to be filtered?! and in what solution , (5) Can't I use concentrated Sulphuric acid to Dry it? and what are these methods..mentioned

Chemistry , October/November 2009 Q.7 : ( To save , right click and choose Save File as )
Didn't get the leaves one , except Mortar , Pestle , a solvent for them , apply chromatography , you got the spots , count them , Tadaa~!

Chemistry , May/June 2009 Q.6 : ( To save , right click and choose Save File as )
Uh... Mortar and Pestle :D ??!

and if there is any solution for that Psychological problem with the Number 7 ( 7 days of the week , 7 Hours at school , 7 hours sleeping , 7 questions ¬¬ ) Please do not hesitate in HELPING. :D

Reaction score
nov 2008 Q7 (a)add excess of magnesium oxide to warm dilute H2SO4 till some MgO start to settle down.Filter to obtain solution of MgSO4
(b)Evaporate the solution to the crystallisation point . Allow the solution to cool slowly.Crystals form on cooling. Filter the solution and dry them between filter papers.
any confusion then revise the topic preparation of salts.

Reaction score
Oh , thanks , you saved my life , can you tell me about the last question ? how to get indicator from berries ? Thanks in advance ( Sorry for keeping you up late )

Reaction score
SuperXDE said:
Oh , thanks , you saved my life , can you tell me about the last question ? how to get indicator from berries ? Thanks in advance ( Sorry for keeping you up late )
I havent done this question as the page was missing from my pastpapers .let me do that and then i will post the ans. . Why dont u see the markscheme its simple in the mark scheme but anyway ull have to wait until i solve it

Reaction score
SuperXDE said:
(a)Crush the berries using mortar and pestle and mix with distilled water to dissolve the soluble part.Filter to get aq. sol. of indicator.
(b)Add a few drops indicator to acid and note the colour change.Then repeat the process using an alkali.Difference in the colour ensures that it is an effective indicator.
hope this helps