• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Questions regarding Bonding.

Reaction score
1.What is coordinate covalent bond? Its characteristics and other information....
2. When organic solvents have no polaristion then why are they called solvents? Explain its dissolving characteristics..
3.How graphite conduct electricity while diamond can't? Just tell me the structure..

Reaction score
I have just heard single, double and triple covalent bonds. :S What's this new thing "Coordinate covalent bonds?"

And I can answer your third question.
Graphite conducts electricity due to the presence of one free (or delocalised) electron.
(Explanation: Each carbon atom in a graphite molecule is bonded with three other graphite molecules while each carbon atom in a diamond molecule is bonded with four other carbon atoms. So there is one free electron in graphite molecule)

Reaction score
Here you go for Q1 the answer lies in this link read the whole of it,
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/dative.html

Well for Q 3 YOU MUST KNOW THAT ALL FOUR ATOMS OF CARBON IN DIAMOND ARE BONDED TO EACH OTHER AND THEREFORE THEY DONT CONDUCT ELECTRICITY.WHILE GRAPHITE HAS A FREE ATOM AND THEREFORE ELECTRONS ARE FREE TO CONDUCT ELECTRICITY.FOR MORE PROPERTIES SEE THIS LINK.
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/struct ... ntcov.html

foR Q2 ORGANIC SOLVENTS ARE THE SAME AS MOLECULAR SUBSTANCES WHICH HAVE NO FREE ANIONS OR CATIONS WHICH ARE BASIC FOR CONDUCTION OF ELECTRICITY.Molecular substances won't conduct electricity. Even in cases where electrons may be delocalised within a particular molecule, there isn't sufficient contact between the molecules to allow the electrons to move through the whole solid or liquid.
YOU COULD READ ABOUT THEIR PROPERTIES HERE.http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/struct ... cular.html

Reaction score
uNDERSTAND THIS IS PRETTY EASY HAVE ANY PROBLEMS ILL SOLVE THEM OR SOMEONE ELSE .WELL I JUST WANNA ASK YOU GUYS WHO ARE GIVING THE PAPER OF CHEMISTRY IN CIE IS THAT COORDINATE COVALENT BOND IN OUR SYLLABUS,IM NOT GIVING THIS YEAR SO I DONT KNOW.. THANKS.

Reaction score
Nope I guess its not... At least not in detail... Its not mentioned in the syllabus...

Reaction score
"""Molecular substances are often soluble in organic solvents - which are themselves molecular. Both the solute (the substance which is dissolving) and the solvent are likely to have molecules attracted to each other by van der Waals forces. Although these attractions will be disrupted when they mix, they are replaced by similar ones between the two different sorts of molecules."""

Here is the answer which i got and its pretty promising!

Reaction score
Where did you get this answer @hElPsEeKeR15. And yeah just learn this coordinate bonding its gonna be in your A level syllabus so watch out for if you are gonna give A levels

Reaction score
AnGeL.Of.DaRkNeSs said:
i have 1 question WHICH BOND IS THE STRONGEST????IONIC OR COVALENT BOND???????
Ionic bonding strength depends on the amount of electrons being transferred to the anion from the cation ( MgO has stronger ionic bonding than NaCl- Mg transfers 2 electrons to Oxygen while Sodium transfers only one electron to Chlorine) Covalent bonding can produce simple molecules as well as giant molecular structures. Simple molecules have weaker bonding than giant molecular structures.
Overall, Ionic bonding involves electrostatic forces while Covalent bonding involves wan-der-waals forces.
This is a very good argument. :p I'd say that Ionic bonding is stronger than covalent bonding but one might argue otherwise :D

Reaction score
@ Angel of Darkness

Generally, the strength of a bond basically depends on it's melting and boiling points. =P

Reaction score
ionic is stronger except some other types of covalent bonds like macromolecular ones they are stronger as well.Well ionic are generlly more stronger as they always form lattices and are held together by their attractive forces and generally dont have free electrons in their solid state as compared to covalent substances like CO and others and yeah bond strength also depends on the amount of energy given out when the bond is formed.If the bond formation process was a exothermic one then the resulting bond is generally strong like MgO used in furnaces,

Reaction score
coordinate bonding is a special type of bonding in which one atom provides both shared electrons so as to attain a stable configuration...it's in A level...so no need to worry...