• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Solved physics Paper 5??

Reaction score
thank you ... for example if we have like this ? wat should we do ?
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s10_qp_52.pdf

it Q2 (b) - the table

thanks again :)

okay for the first value of t, which is 18.9 +/- 0.1
so the periodic time is 1.89 and if you square the periodic time, you obtain T^2 = 3.57
now here, firstly, you will need to consider the errors in periodic time, so:
if
(uncertainty in t) / t = (uncertainty in T) / T
We obtain a constant uncertainty in T for all the values in the table and this is 0.01
There after we calculate the uncertainty in T^2,

this will be: (uncertainty in T^2) / T^2 = ( uncertainty in T x 2)/ T
therefore, for eg if we are using the first value
(uncertainty in T^2) = [ (0.01 x 2) / 1.89 ] x 3.57
hence you'll obtain 0.04
Hope that helped!

Reaction score
okay for the first value of t, which is 18.9 +/- 0.1
so the periodic time is 1.89 and if you square the periodic time, you obtain T^2 = 3.57
now here, firstly, you will need to consider the errors in periodic time, so:
if
(uncertainty in t) / t = (uncertainty in T) / T
We obtain a constant uncertainty in T for all the values in the table and this is 0.01
There after we calculate the uncertainty in T^2,

this will be: (uncertainty in T^2) / T^2 = ( uncertainty in T x 2)/ T
therefore, for eg if we are using the first value
(uncertainty in T^2) = [ (0.01 x 2) / 1.89 ] x 3.57
hence you'll obtain 0.04
Hope that helped!

yeah thanks alot ..... i also did the same and the blue part ? how many s.f. should be there? am always confused ?

thanks again :p :D :D

Reaction score
yeah thanks alot ..... i also did the same and the blue part ? how many s.f. should be there? am always confused ?

thanks again :p :D :D

You're welcome.
I guess it has to be the same no of sgf as the original error, hence 1 sgf, am not quite sure though

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Can anyone please help with the O/N07 Q.no2 part b. I don't get the part where we have to find the absolute uncertainties of the values of "lgV/v". I found the bormal values of lgV but can't find the uncertainties.
I'd be grateful if anyone helped me out!!

Reaction score
these are some random papers....

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 426
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 386
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 407
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 377
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 354
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 357
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 350
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 342
Reaction score
Hey for this diagram, does the hall probe have to be positioned differently from the way you've done it?
I think it has to be perpendicular to the magnetic field direction right? Or am i confusing something? :unsure:

Oh and could you please explain, the points from the ms where it says "determine the axis of the coil" ( in the measurements to be taken section), and also, the parts where the ms states "keep the probe along the axis" (in the additional detail section) please?

Thank you :)

Yes the hall probe has to positioned this way so that it is perpendicular to the direction of the field.
P.s in method to determine axis of coil or to find x=0...it basically means that the hall probe should be positioned at the midpoint of the coil to find the reading at that point...I'm not really sure about this part though:unsure:
In order to keep the probe along the axis..we have placed it on the top of a metre rule which, you can add, should be clamped horizontally to keep it in the same axis throughout the experiment.
I'm not sure if my explanation helped...o_O

Reaction score
Soldier313 here ya go :) hope that helps, i drew the worst fit line in blue so it shows, and also ignore the little horizontal line on the first point!

The worst line should pass through the first and last tip of the error bars ?
Is it compulsory ?
What about the best fit line ?