• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Solved physics Paper 5??

Reaction score
now see, for the error bars lets say the error is +- 0.5 and the point is 22 for the x axis
then the error bar must be from >> 21.5 and 22.5
how do you make the error bar now, for this you must see what is the value of one square on the x-axis. Lets assume one box on the x axis is 0.05. Which means and error of 0.5 on each side will cover 10 boxes on the x axis. To draw the error bar you will draw a horizontal line (because error is for a value on the x-axis) which will be 10 boxes behind 22 and 10 boxes ahead of it!
If the point 22 was for the y axis, then the error bar would be a vertical line of 10 boxes above and below 22.

hope this can help :)
Thank you so much (y)
and can you plz help me
to find uncertainty of v^2 (CIE A level October November 2012 Variant 3 )?
i really need help in finding uncertainty especially which include these kinds of products and division.
:)

Reaction score
now see, for the error bars lets say the error is +- 0.5 and the point is 22 for the x axis
then the error bar must be from >> 21.5 and 22.5
how do you make the error bar now, for this you must see what is the value of one square on the x-axis. Lets assume one box on the x axis is 0.05. Which means and error of 0.5 on each side will cover 10 boxes on the x axis. To draw the error bar you will draw a horizontal line (because error is for a value on the x-axis) which will be 10 boxes behind 22 and 10 boxes ahead of it!
If the point 22 was for the y axis, then the error bar would be a vertical line of 10 boxes above and below 22.

hope this can help :)
but sometimes they tell to join all the error bar peaks. how can it be done?

Reaction score
Please tell me whether this diagram is correct....I dont know how to position the microphone...Please help

N09/51 Q1
Attached Files:

Reaction score
hey guys in qs 2 ofn09/51 in calculating gradient im calculating gradient by using these values= 2.795-2.988/2.519-2.47. So should i round these values to 3 sig figures or should i round the answer of gradient that comes to 3 s.f. If i round these values before calculating the gradient the value of gradient is changed a little. WHat is the procedure for this can anybody tell me. And in d part the error for h and g should be carried from gradient and y intercept right. for e.g if error of intercept 0.05 then for g it is also 0.05?

Reaction score
hey guys in qs 2 ofn09/51 in calculating gradient im calculating gradient by using these values= 2.795-2.988/2.519-2.47. So should i round these values to 3 sig figures or should i round the answer of gradient that comes to 3 s.f. If i round these values before calculating the gradient the value of gradient is changed a little. WHat is the procedure for this can anybody tell me. And in d part the error for h and g should be carried from gradient and y intercept right. for e.g if error of intercept 0.05 then for g it is also 0.05?
Find the gradient first and then round it. For part d, h is the same as gradient. For g its not the same. log g = y intercept. so to find g u have to inverse log or 10^ ur y intercept value. Then to find error u use the same way of log. Find inverse log highest value of y intercept - inverse log y intercept :D

Reaction score
My problem is I don't know how to describe experiments or how to draw an appropriate diagram !!:cry:
Dont worry ! You can score a minimum of 5-10 marks by just writing basic lines. Just write as much as u know about the given experiment. The variables, graph drawing, safety precautions and anything related to your experiments :D

Reaction score
in j10/52 the answer to 2d is coming 987+- 24.1 This absolute uncertainty is very strange to me. Can anybody check their answers to this part and confirm that the uncertainty i have calculated is correct or not . to calculate uncertainty i used formula= g from best fit line grad- g from worst fit line gradient to calculate the absolute uncertainty or error. Can anybody confirm plz

and can anybody also tell what is their percentage uncertainty coming. Mine is 4.44% I am having trouble taking it out

Reaction score
Soldier313
Can you help me with the question i posted above?:)

Hey sis sorry, apparently i don't get your tags :confused:
Anyways about the diagram for that paper, i was stuck with it too, i'm not quite certain, but i think a tuning fork would be a better option right ?
Anyways i hope someone can elaborate further...
geek101 littlecloud11
We need some clarification with the on/09 qp 51 diagram

And while you are at it, could you please also look at on/07 qn 1 too? I don't understand how to draw the diagram :/
Would really appreciate if you guys could upload your diagrams for these questions :)
Thank you :)

Reaction score
in j10/52 the answer to 2d is coming 987+- 24.1 This absolute uncertainty is very strange to me. Can anybody check their answers to this part and confirm that the uncertainty i have calculated is correct or not . to calculate uncertainty i used formula= g from best fit line grad- g from worst fit line gradient to calculate the absolute uncertainty or error. Can anybody confirm plz

and can anybody also tell what is their percentage uncertainty coming. Mine is 4.44% I am having trouble taking it out

i got an error of 19.5, i think what you are doing is correct
i did it this way though :
[ (error in gradient)/ (gradient of best fit) ] x g

and my percentage error value is 3.99 %
I'd prefer if someone else confirms with this though

Reaction score
i got an error of 19.5, i think what you are doing is correct
i did it this way though :
[ (error in gradient)/ (gradient of best fit) ] x g

and my percentage error value is 3.99 %
I'd prefer if someone else confirms with this though

i mean that i calculated percentage uncertainty like this: [error/value of g + 2*0.01(error of t)/value of t]* 100
my answer came : [24.1/987 + 0.01*2/1] * 100
=2%+2.44%=4.44%

is this method correct?
and i also want to know if a value is like 3 sig figures should the error be 3 sign figures as well or should it have same decimal places as the value. e.g 2.41+-0.19 or 2.41+-0.20.

Reaction score
and one another question i always calculate my absolute uncertainty from the percentage uncertainty in questions such as qs 2b of n12/53.
so how do we calculate the absolute uncertainty directly when values both having absolute uncertainties are being divided, multiplied or added. Like values of t/s and l/cm
. In this question they are being divided so how will we calculate the absolute uncertainty of them. I know its v2 so the uncertainty will be multiplied by 2 afterwards.

Reaction score
how do I add a picture here? I've taken a snapshot of a question that's confusing me but i'm not sure how to upload it here? !