• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Statistics 1: Post Your Doubts Here

Reaction score
Hey there can u help me with these questions please. I shall be very grateful. If u can include some explanations to refresh a bit my memory, would be nice ^^
I've included the expected answer in red. :)
did you get answer to these ?

Reaction score
Cool thanks!
I have posted a doubt above. can u help me in dat?
ok draw a tree diagram. for first branch you do 0 and not zero. secod branch p>=4 and p<4. so you get 0.2*0.4 as the required branch which is the probability.
for part 2 you say a=winning the first time which is 0.2. then do a g.p where 2nd term is 0.08,a is 0.2 to give r as 0.2
so p=0.4(0.2^n-1)

Reaction score
ok draw a tree diagram. for first branch you do 0 and not zero. secod branch p>=4 and p<4. so you get 0.2*0.4 as the required branch which is the probability.
for part 2 you say a=winning the first time which is 0.2. then do a g.p where 2nd term is 0.08,a is 0.2 to give r as 0.2
so p=0.4(0.2^n-1)
Sorry i don't get it. Where does that 0.2 come from?

Reaction score
sorry my bad, i thought u meant p>=4 the 0.2 comes from the prob distribution table,at p=0. u know how to mak it right?

Reaction score
sorry my bad, i thought u meant p>=4 the 0.2 comes from the prob distribution table,at p=0. u know how to mak it right?
Gosh! yeah, how stupid of me (*facepalm*)! Yeah i got it. thanks buddy!

Reaction score
babycry Can I annoy you one last time? See my doubt on top of this page. please. ^^
Its because (BBGG) can be arranged in 6 different ways
They are:
GGBB GBBG BBGG BGGB BGBG GBGB
Or 4!/(2!2!)
Or 4C2 ways as out of 4 people u choose 2.

When you get the probability for one combination, multiply by six to get total probability as it can occer 6 different ways. This is because they are mutually exclusive
And insted of adding 6 times, its easier to multiply by 6

Personally its easier to do it by the second method as you skip alot of calculations

Reaction score
Its because (BBGG) can be arranged in 6 different ways
They are:
GGBB GBBG BBGG BGGB BGBG GBGB
Or 4!/(2!2!)
Or 4C2 ways as out of 4 people u choose 2.

When you get the probability for one combination, multiply by six to get total probability as it can occer 6 different ways. This is because they are mutually exclusive
And insted of adding 6 times, its easier to multiply by 6

Personally its easier to do it by the second method as you skip alot of calculations
i totally agree with u the 2nd method is better

Reaction score
View attachment 17919 Could anyone please help me with this perm and combi question .

if you only use 6C3, that is not correct since you're asked to take 4 pegs, not 3. 6C3 is to 'pick the colors'.
If 3 colors has been chosen, you need to list all the possibilities of the 4 pegs you obtain with those 3 colors.

4!/2! + 4!/2! + 4!/2! is necessary as it count the total combination you can have with three colors.
But there isn't just three colors, there are six! Therefore, 6C3 is used.

Hope it helps a bit.. I know my explanation isn't that good :(

Reaction score
suppose a vehicle is licensed in a state that issues license plates that consist of 3 digits(between 0 to 9)followed by 3 letters (bet A to Z).If a license number is selected randomly,what is probability that yours is the one selected?

Reaction score
Q8, Paper 6683/01 Edexcel GCE Statistics S1, A/AS Friday 20 May 2011 Afternoo. I am unable to understand Part G of this question. Why compliment of 5 not 1 etc.? Kindly help.
C:\Users\manoj.k\Desktop\u.jpeg

Reaction score
Q8, Paper 6683/01 Edexcel GCE Statistics S1, A/AS Friday 20 May 2011 Afternoo. I am unable to understand Part G of this question. Why compliment of 5 not 1 etc.?

Attachments

• u.jpg
    u.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 4