• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Statistics P6 Help needed

Jaf

Reaction score
According to my teacher, the mark scheme for the question I asked is wrong. Splendid! :coffee:

Reaction score
mark schemes are never wrong! when teachers cant find a solution to the question and they cant thinking of a way to get the right answer, they usually say the following ^

Jaf

Reaction score
mark schemes are never wrong!
Did you make them? Have you checked ALL of them? Are you an examiner?
If the answer to anyone of the question is no, then that is a pretty bold and perhaps asinine remark to make.

Over the years there have been numerous mistakes in the mark schemes. Some were misprints, but many were (and are) actual mistakes. There have been mistakes in actual questions! There have been huge blunders in the marking (ever heard of successful rechecks?). We need to stop thinking the people on the CIE end are an infallible team of experts. They make mistakes too.

Another one that I'm pretty sure of in Statistics is in the last question in this paper; the last part. Even though the answer remains the same (with the correct answer) but the working in the mark scheme is missing something.
The examples are countless. I've seen at least 2 deleted questions because they were wrong and at least one MCQ for which they have credited 2 answers in A levels alone.

So yes, I could be wrong about this question and so can the teachers I had this checked from. But then, so can the examiners.

Good luck for your exam tomorrow. :)

Reaction score
how do we know whether 2 events are mutually exclusive or independent???????????????

Reaction score
the answer is right......but can you plz explain it.....
thanx
quite hard to xplain here.. well since 5 boys are acting like a single pack and now we got arrangements of this pack and the 3 girls, the pack can come anywhere so 4!(3 girls + Pack), now in the pack there can be different arrangements too, since 5 boys in the pack so 5!, so overall 5! *4!

Reaction score
how do we know whether 2 events are mutually exclusive or independent???????????????
If A and B are two events
Then they are:
Independent if P(A and B)=P(A) * P(B)
Mutually Exclusive if P(A or B)=P(A) + P(B) and P(A and B)=0

Hope you like it...........(y)

Reaction score
hey can anyone help me with this doubt

question 3 part 3..... how do we solve this?
Attached Files:

Attached Files:

Jaf

Reaction score
Part three(iii)...........plzView attachment 10647
A number is even when its last digit is even.
So we fix the even numbers at the end of the numbers, one by one.
_ _ _ _ _ _ 2 - here the number of arrangements is 6!

_ _ _ _ _ _ 6 - here the number of arrangements is 6!/2!

_ _ _ _ _ _ 8 - here the number of arrangements is 6!/2!.

So total, 6! + (6!/2!) x 2 = 1440 numbers

Reaction score
Attached Files:

Attached Files:
a=1 because when a=1 P(-a<_X<_2a)=P(-1<_X<_2)
P(-1<_X<_2)=(9/70) + (1/10) + (9/70) + (9/70)
=17/35
(y)

Reaction score
help plz in third part.........hurry........:( View attachment 10671
(i) it will be 8C2 as there askin us to punch 2 holes in the 8 holes of each column
(ii)max 4 holes can be punched so 8C1+8C2+8C3+8C4=162
(iii)there are 4 columns and each column as worked out in part (ii) have 162 ways of getting the holes punched so it will be 162x162x162x162=162^4

Reaction score
(i) it will be 8C2 as there askin us to punch 2 holes in the 8 holes of each column
(ii)max 4 holes can be punched so 8C1+8C2+8C3+8C4=162
(iii)there are 4 columns and each column as worked out in part (ii) have 162 ways of getting the holes punched so it will be 162x162x162x162=162^4
thanxxxx.......