• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

t test and CHI-square test 0.05 significance level

Reaction score
m hell cnfused in this thing.....i m a bio student not a frther maths one......
all i knw is that if probability of null hypothesis being correct is greater than 0.05 ....its accepted.......bt its not seeming to me intuitive.....i have read somehwere....it tells u 95% cnfidence intervals.......bt thsi probability of .05 isnt too low......

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb!

null hypothesis.jpg

Now the probability is actually the probability that the null hypothesis is correct..
and if it's less than 0.05, we say that there's least chance it's correct...and that differences are not due to chance etc.
but if it's greater than 0.05, we say that the null hypothesis IS correct.

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong,

t-test and Chi-squared test,
Do they both work with the same mechanism or the opposite mechanism?

When our chi-squared value is greater than the value given in the table, the probability becomes less than 0.05, so the difference become significant, not due to chance. ....blah blah vice-versa

When our t-test value is greater than the value given in the table, the probability again becomes less than 0.05, so the difference is significant, not due to chance .... blah blah

So, they both do work with the same mechanism .

So, in any situation when our calculated value is greater than the value given in the table, the difference is significant, not due to chance :)