• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

The Easiest A level Subject

Reaction score
I m not in gap year but I plan to take one after my A levels are complete. I just completed my O level in may/june 2012. I am an As student, i am just 15. Ask British council about wat?

Reaction score
I m not in gap year but I plan to take one after my A levels are complete. I just completed my O level in may/june 2012. I am an As student, i am just 15. Ask British council about wat?
Really? Why take a gap year?
Good grades for O-Levels, MABROOK
Ask British Council about UK Universities about how many subjects for A-Levels do UK Universities require in the course you want to study (computer studies).

Reaction score
I saw the timetable. There wont be any clashes in may/june 2013 if I take EM or TS
May God help you in achieving your goals!

Just do it, and listen to none who stop , what is clear of what ur actually doing ! Anyway i prefer TS because it don't require much time...!

Reaction score
Thinking Skills is harder than General Paper, in my opinion. Doing it at AS, yeah?

If you've some good general knowledge about the world, then you don't even have to prepare for GP. But you should also be able to write well, and objectively. I'd suggest you work out a year's paper for both before making a decision.

And yes, if you want to get into a good university, don't compromise quality with quantity. My friends with A*A*A* have gotten into Cambridge and Oxford more easily than students with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Well, you get my point. They want mature, focused students.

Reaction score
I can only get into Oxford if I get full scholarship. I know 3 or 4 A* are enough to get in but its not enough to achieve a scholarship there. To get scholarship a person has to achieve sumthing xtraordinary. Sumthing like 7A* will do the trick. I kno people from my country who got into Oxford wid full sco with 4 distinctions. If u take less subjects, u need to achieve almost full marks in all of them. The other way is to take more subjects and try to get straight A*. Apart from results, interviews are important 2.

Reaction score
My target is Oxford, not Cambridge. I m only eligible for the reach oxford scholarship, the competition for dis sco is xtremely high and I heard only 3 or 4 person get it each yr. The criteria for the sco is academics and financial need. I hope u can imagine what sort of quality students they pick for dis sco! 3 or 4A* is simply not enough. U need either 4 distinctions or 6 or 7A*s. I cant study there wid out sco!

Reaction score
Keep one thing in mind, OxBridge doesn't care if you have 3 A*s or 23 As, your first target is to meet their minimum entry requirements. What they care about is the interview to determine your passion in the subject, that's the top thing they ask for since their programs are not fun, they are intensely challenging and only the passionate can have a good time there as a result.

Reaction score
Thanks. I've a genuine passion for computer science. I will keep these things in mind as well. But still results are important, is nt it?

Reaction score
Yep, you make it to interviews only if you have the results. The rule of the thumb is only those genuinely able to get into Oxbridge are given interviews. After that interviews are used as the basis to determine whether you are appropriate for the program. It's not about winning or losing, they want to choose people who won't spend 3 dreadful years but rather be able to cope with things as at university many other factors count in life, not just studies and their preference in deciding this is the interview.

Reaction score
I'll need the grades for the sco too if I get in. Btw, can u give me some advice for managing such workload? Can I prepare for TS or GP within 5 months?

Reaction score
I can only get into Oxford if I get full scholarship. I know 3 or 4 A* are enough to get in but its not enough to achieve a scholarship there. To get scholarship a person has to achieve sumthing xtraordinary. Sumthing like 7A* will do the trick. I kno people from my country who got into Oxford wid full sco with 4 distinctions. If u take less subjects, u need to achieve almost full marks in all of them. The other way is to take more subjects and try to get straight A*. Apart from results, interviews are important 2.

My target is Oxford, not Cambridge. I m only eligible for the reach oxford scholarship, the competition for dis sco is xtremely high and I heard only 3 or 4 person get it each yr. The criteria for the sco is academics and financial need. I hope u can imagine what sort of quality students they pick for dis sco! 3 or 4A* is simply not enough. U need either 4 distinctions or 6 or 7A*s. I cant study there wid out sco!

Hm, we have similar targets then. The only exception is that you are whining about Oxford giving only 3-4 scholarships to students there, while here in my country, they Don't Give A Single One.

Zohaib is totally right. I wonder, does it demonstrate that you have intense passion for a particular subject while when confronted with the choice of choosing your A levels, you gave the impression that you placed your eggs in almost every basket?

Why don't you instead, focus on doing something extracurricular and extraordinary pertaining to your chosen subject? Computer Science. Why don't you get into some research, find a business or research centre, do something that shows how computer science can help people better their lives, etc? Do something that makes you stand out as a passionate individual, someone with a focus in life and the grit necessary to achieve his goals!

Remember, 1st thing is getting there. 2nd only comes the scholarship. Again, don't compromise quality with quantity.

I'll need the grades for the sco too if I get in. Btw, can u give me some advice for managing such workload? Can I prepare for TS or GP within 5 months?

Both have levels of difficulties which are extremely subjective. That's why told you to attempt a paper from each and see what suits you better. I find GP easier to prepare in 5 months, but TS has the added benefit that it could prepare you for the Oxford Aptitude Tests.

Reaction score
I will do research and work in the IT section of a bank after A level in my gap year. For now I m concentrating on A levels. Currently I learn French and do social work as my eca.

Reaction score
I will do research and work in the IT section of a bank after A level in my gap year. For now I m concentrating on A levels. Currently I learn French and do social work as my eca.

Okay. That's a start. Remember, something that distinguishes you. Mind quoting when you reply? I might easily miss your replies.

Reaction score
Most of my EGGS are in the same basket coz phy,maths,fmath,computing,chemistry and accounts are related to computer science and knowledge of these subjects will prepare me beter for university. :D As for the sco, simply getting in is not enough for me coz I cant aford so much. I need the sco. I kno a guy wid 4 A* who got accepted but could nt go coz he did nt get the sco. So from my perspective there is no point of geting in widout sco.

Reaction score
Most of my EGGS are in the same basket coz phy,maths,fmath,computing,chemistry and accounts are related to computer science and knowledge of these subjects will prepare me beter for university. :D As for the sco, simply getting in is not enough for me coz I cant aford so much. I need the sco. I kno a guy wid 4 A* who got accepted but could nt go coz he did nt get the sco. So from my perspective there is no point of geting in widout sco.

Lol. That was good. The world is round, after all. Everything must be related to everything.

Okay, I can understand you... then, my advice would be that you take up 4 A levels in Nov, and the remaining 3 in the next June session. It's a wiser choice. You might be exhausted if you've 3-4 papers a day to attempt. Anyway, you're just 15. You have the time. :)

Reaction score
I will give all AS units in May/June 2012 and A2 in May/June 2013. I saw the timetable, there wont be any time clashes if I take these subjects. There wont be more than 1 paper per day. Evrything is fine.