• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Theoretical Physics!

Reaction score
I wanna become a theoretical physicist but my parents tell me its a very risky career...etc.... Any advice?

Reaction score
I have also considered becoming a Physicist and from what I understand, you will need a PhD or Masters for any sort of research or academic position. These are not very lucrative careers. If you get a degree from a reputable university (bachelors or PhD) , you might be able to get a job in business or finance departments of companies. Some physics majors in USA from ivy leagues and other top institutions go on to join Wall Street and make big bucks. There is also an option for Physics majors to become computer programmers. But the scope here in Pakistan is very limited and you will surely have to go abroad for studies and employment.

Reaction score
It's not that easy as it seems..Pakistan has just produced two notable ones...

Reaction score
thanks for the info guyz.......really appreciate........it.......I know that it's a risky field, but its so intresting, I cant imagine studying anything else

Reaction score
I wanna become a theoretical physicist but my parents tell me its a very risky career...etc.... Any advice?
its only good outside of pakistan like in US etc

ive a friend in an ivy league studying the same course. Honestly, pakistan doesnt have the research money for all this high tech physics. If you really want to do it, go abroad and start preparing from olevels

get 10A plus in olevels
do some thing in national/international level like debates and win them

are you in alevels?

Reaction score
get 10A plus in Olevels. Preferrably all A*
A distinction or two will be very very helpful (the people I know in ivy, all had at least 1 distinction in olevel)

U need to do debates at national or international level. If ur is a good school u would have a debating society and a debate coach, get in touch with them. U need to WIN tournaments (participation is useless). If u are a capable speaker u get to represent pakistan at WSDC

There is also NSTC. Search it on xtremepapers. U wud need to do this in alevels. Its a science competition in pak, if u get selected u represent pak at international chem/bio/phy/math olympiad

Try to get in the school council as a headboy/girl or deputy, or president of some society. etc

Participate in business competitions and try to win like that of LUMS

Reaction score
Know what? even I wanted to become a Physicist. I still want to but my parents tell me it's a crazy thing to even think about and that its too hard if you're an average student. It practically has no value here, a lot of people have asked me "what to you want to become?" and I have said Physicist, they dont even know what it is.
Its so unfair, I can't help but like it so much. A nuclear or particle physicist, I want to become one of them. But since there's no scope and neither hope, Im going into engineering. medical is easy i guess but just not my thing. I hate engineering though.

Reaction score
Know what? even I wanted to become a Physicist. I still want to but my parents tell me it's a crazy thing to even think about and that its too hard if you're an average student. It practically has no value here, a lot of people have asked me "what to you want to become?" and I have said Physicist, they dont even know what it is.
Its so unfair, I can't help but like it so much. A nuclear or particle physicist, I want to become one of them. But since there's no scope and neither hope, Im going into engineering. medical is easy i guess but just not my thing. I hate engineering though.
Why do you hate engineering?

Reaction score
But howcome u love physics so much that u wanna become a physicist and you dont like engineering? i mean isn't it weird?
i like "nuclear" or "particle" physics, it just seems so interesting. about engineering, the thing is i dont want to leave physics and there's no other choice. engineering is all physics and maths and thats why im going to become an engineer InshAllah. the thing is, i dont really know anything at all about engineering, there are just so many fields like an unknown terrain and i dont know where to go, what to choose, even what exactly engineers do. i've got to research about it.

Reaction score
i like "nuclear" or "particle" physics, it just seems so interesting. about engineering, the thing is i dont want to leave physics and there's no other choice. engineering is all physics and maths and thats why im going to become an engineer InshAllah. the thing is, i dont really know anything at all about engineering, there are just so many fields like an unknown terrain and i dont know where to go, what to choose, even what exactly engineers do. i've got to research about it.
I love physics and maths too :)

Reaction score

You are the first person I have seen who has an intrest in particle physics.....which is pretty cool :) :).........well anyway...my parents have now finally decided that i must become a doctor so i thought that I would become an orthopedic surgeon....and later in life will switch fields.......

Reaction score
You are the first person I have seen who has an intrest in particle physics.....which is pretty cool :) :).........well anyway...my parents have now finally decided that i must become a doctor so i thought that I would become an orthopedic surgeon....and later in life will switch fields.......

PARENTS HAVE DECIDED.....???o_Oo_O....... Where did the greeat mathematician go.....????:p:p

Reaction score
I have an interest in Physics too.
Unraveling the mysteries of this universe, that's what a theoretical physicist does.
Plus, i have that sense in my mind, the one that physicist's have.

But people tell me there is no scope for this field.
Unless, we become the best THEORETICAL PHYSICIST, Make new Laws, get a nobel prize.. Do research work in a university! And that's not happening.