• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Theoretical Physics!

Reaction score
yeah I am good in computers, I am fluent in about 7 programming languages, if that's what you are asking....Ill post my decision...once I have confirmed it...... :)...If I may ask, are you an A levels Student?
if it makes you feel any better
an o levels :p

Reaction score
yeah I am good in computers, I am fluent in about 7 programming languages, if that's what you are asking....Ill post my decision...once I have confirmed it...... :)...If I may ask, are you an A levels Student?
what about maths?
did you take further maths?
you need to have excellent and highly advanced knowledge of maths
and by the way which 7 languages do you know and how did you learn them?

Reaction score
if it makes you feel any better
an o levels :p

final year?
what about maths?
did you take further maths?
you need to have excellent and highly advanced knowledge of maths
and by the way which 7 languages do you know and how did you learn them?

Yeah I am gonna take further maths.
I dont want to brag, but yeah, maths and physics are the only subjects I am good at..... :p
Apart from HTML(including HTML 5),CSS, Javascript & jQuery(I dont consider them to be difficult languages which is why I dont even consider them languages :p).Apart from these I have learned 7, more challenging programming languages:
Perl,Python,PHP,Ruby, (C, C++)JAVA, & ActionScript(ActionScript is used to make Flash Games)

There are many sources you can use to learn
For example for JQuery,HTML,CSS,Javascript Ruby,Python, PHP from here: http://www.codecademy.com/
Also http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ and especially http://www.w3schools.com/
are pretty good websites of programming languages

But before you learn to program, you must have an IDE(Integrated Development Environment), a software application that allows you to write,edit and debug code.
Now I am learning, Objective C(the language Apple uses)

If you want to learn to, I suggest you read this:
http://lifehacker.com/5401954/programmer-101-teach-yourself-how-to-code

Reactions: Dug
Reaction score
could you tell me all subjects that you took in o levels and those you plan to take in a levels?
yes I just finished Olevels, waiting for results
Olevel subjects:
Physics,Biology,Chemistry,Mathematics(already gave it nov 2012), Pakistan Studies and Urdu(In Jun 2012),Islamiyat(Nov 2011) , Additional Mathematics, English language
Alevel subjects: Physics,Chemistry,Biology,Mathematics,Further Mathematics.

Reaction score
yes I just finished Olevels, waiting for results
Olevel subjects:
Physics,Biology,Chemistry,Mathematics(already gave it nov 2012), Pakistan Studies and Urdu(In Jun 2012),Islamiyat(Nov 2011) , Additional Mathematics, English language
Alevel subjects: Physics,Chemistry,Biology,Mathematics,Further Mathematics.
so you did not give computers nor intend to do it yet you know programming, cool (y)

Reaction score
well i advise you to drop bio if you have confirmed engineering and take computer studies its very useful
and make final decision now which field to chose before a levels (y)

It's a toss up b/w software engineering and mechanical engineering.
Man! you have a wonderful and a great bio. Maths & Physics are my best interests as well( even programming) . Same as yours:). If your parents agreed to engineering then go on with that. Atleast you may be able pursue math and physics up to a higher level rather than studying bones...IMO. I too wish to become a theoretical/particle physicist but I dont know whether they are taught in universities. So I may decide to become pursue computer engineer cum robotics. I dont know if that exists. Fluid dynamics as well as mechanical engg , would have nothing to do with theoretical physics rather they may experimental. All the best!!!!!!!!1

Thanks, and nice to see that you also want to become a theoretical/particle physicist..This subject is taught in nearly major univeristy around the world.....however it depends where you are living.You're right, mechanical eng, and computational fluid dynamics, have no theoretical work.

If you're living in the US, or UK, or Australia, or any European Country, theoretical physics turns out to be a pretty good option. :) Thanks...and good luck to you too ;)....and do post wat you want to pursue in the future.

Reaction score
ok so i need a quick advice thementor
ever heard of using programming to solve complex math questions and puzzles?
if so tell me the best language for it?
thanks

Reaction score
ok so i need a quick advice thementor
ever heard of using programming to solve complex math questions and puzzles?
if so tell me the best language for it?
thanks

Yes I have heard of it. Infact most of today's young programmers, once learning the more advanced programming languages, use them exactly for this purpose.
Actually, from what I have seen, any language apart from HTML, and CSS, any language can be used.
For example let's take a problem: You have to add two complex numbers in mathematics. I am for the moment assuming that you know what complex numbers are.
Now for this particular scenario, let's iron out a few details:
First we have to ADD only 2 complex numbers. Ideally to make a program that would be used to find the sum of two complex numbers could be written using the C programming language, or even C++. But C is the best
I am not gonna write the whole code. If you want it, just pm me.
OR LET'S SAY FOR EXAMPLE YOU WANT TO WRITE A PROGRAM THAT WILL INTEGRATE A FUNCTION. NOW IN THIS CASE, NOT ONLY DO YOU NEED TO HAVE IN-DEPTH KNOWLEDGE OF C , BUT OTHER LANGUAGES, LIKE ACTIONSCRIPT, TOO.

So basically what I am trying to say is that if you want to use programming to solve complex math questions or even puzzles,
I would say the following languages are the most suitable for this purpose(Keep in mind that you will use these languages to make programs(software or apps) which you will then use to carry out your work:

C, C++, C#, PHP, Perl, Python,Javascript. You could even use Objective-C and Objective-C++(the language used by apple) to make programs that you can use to solve complex math).
From these the best languages are C, C++ and C# and Javascript

So to sum it up, you can manipulate nearly every language, to do your math, other than HTML & CSS. Actually in Javascript, once you understand variables and functions, you can manipulate it too create programs, that will solve puzzles or even the most daunting math problems.

Reaction score
Same problem here bro, I am an Indian. For me it's a toss b/w Applied sciences and Computer Science. I always have this feeling that theoretical physics is best to be studied in Germany. Coz all great minds evolved from there (Einstein, Heisenberg, Max Plank.etc....);).

Point taken. Nearly every theoretical phyiscist originates from Germany. Even the President of Germany, has studied phyiscs at university. Also Switzerland is a pretty good place to study theoretical physics. The only problem is that to study there you need to know their languages.

Reaction score
Yes I have heard of it. Infact most of today's young programmers, once learning the more advanced programming languages, use them exactly for this purpose.
Actually, from what I have seen, any language apart from HTML, and CSS, any language can be used.
For example let's take a problem: You have to add two complex numbers in mathematics. I am for the moment assuming that you know what complex numbers are.
Now for this particular scenario, let's iron out a few details:
First we have to ADD only 2 complex numbers. Ideally to make a program that would be used to find the sum of two complex numbers could be written using the C programming language, or even C++. But C is the best
I am not gonna write the whole code. If you want it, just pm me.
OR LET'S SAY FOR EXAMPLE YOU WANT TO WRITE A PROGRAM THAT WILL INTEGRATE A FUNCTION. NOW IN THIS CASE, NOT ONLY DO YOU NEED TO HAVE IN-DEPTH KNOWLEDGE OF C , BUT OTHER LANGUAGES, LIKE ACTIONSCRIPT, TOO.

So basically what I am trying to say is that if you want to use programming to solve complex math questions or even puzzles,
I would say the following languages are the most suitable for this purpose(Keep in mind that you will use these languages to make programs(software or apps) which you will then use to carry out your work:

C, C++, C#, PHP, Perl, Python,Javascript. You could even use Objective-C and Objective-C++(the language used by apple) to make programs that you can use to solve complex math).
From these the best languages are C, C++ and C# and Javascript

So to sum it up, you can manipulate nearly every language, to do your math, other than HTML & CSS. Actually in Javascript, once you understand variables and functions, you can manipulate it too create programs, that will solve puzzles or even the most daunting math problems.

just tell me one and i will follow it :confused:
which is the best and the simplest?
i heard somewhere something about FORTRAN, how is it?
please give me just one language!!!

Reaction score
just tell me one and i will follow it :confused:
which is the best and the simplest?
i heard somewhere something about FORTRAN, how is it?
please give me just one language!!!
Well if you want to be a good programmer, and design programs, for mathematics, and ciphers and stuff, I suggest you learn C. If you want tutorials, I can give you a few websites ;)