• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Unit 3B Chemistry :) How was the exams? Comment here :P

Reaction score
the answer is primary and secondary alcohol .. it isn't an aldehyde bcoz aldehydes don't have OH group, and the sample clearly has an OH group sincce misty fumes were formed when tested with PCl5
aahh!!!!! somethin out there is right!!!! :D thnxxxx wat was ur answer to the 2 observations with sodium iodide?

Reaction score
aahh!!!!! somethin out there is right!!!! :D thnxxxx wat was ur answer to the 2 observations with sodium iodide?

Misty fuses form at the top of the flask or whatever apparatus used
Bubble of gas

Reaction score
dark grey solid and purple fumes
I dont think there will be any bubbles/fumes because HI will be not be liberated since the iodide ion is a very good reducing agent so I- is readily oxidised to I2.
There will probably be a yellow solid as well, form the reduction of sulfuric acid to sulfur

Reaction score
I dont think there will be any bubbles/fumes because HI will be not be liberated since the iodide ion is a very good reducing agent so I- is readily oxidised to I2.
There will probably be a yellow solid as well, form the reduction of sulfuric acid to sulfur
well one of my answers is right lol! :D

Reaction score

Don't worry about that _ the first reaction always give off fumes :0 Not all the fumes will be trapped

here is my proof
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group7/halideions.html

Reaction score
the answer is primary and secondary alcohol .. it isn't an aldehyde bcoz aldehydes don't have OH group, and the sample clearly has an OH group sincce misty fumes were formed when tested with PCl5
i did empiral formula question first.. went back and wrote propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol... hopefully get mark? :D

Reaction score
to clean off any iodine.. i wrote neutralise any iodide ion/iodine... :-/
im just gonna go around asking everyone this lol, bear with me but um.. do you remember how many marks this was worth? Im hoping 1! :/