• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What happens to your body if you don't let it sleep?

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
What happens to your body if you don't let it sleep?
Students regard 'pulling all-nighters' as a necessary evil. But beware: sleep deprivation can do serious damage

A looming dissertation deadline must top most students' list of university terrors.
After months of labour, putting the finishing touches to a project that represents the culmination of your undergraduate education can turn into a caffeine-fuelled ordeal. Especially when things go horribly, horribly wrong.
I still have nightmares about my final meeting with my supervisor, three days before submission. She casually informed me that all the work I'd done in the past three months had been a waste of time. The error was minor, but 20 pages had to be consigned to the garbage bin. I had 72 hours to do what I could to repair the damage...
All-nighters are pretty much synonymous with student lifestyles. But frequent sleep deprivation over four years can have drastic long-term consequences, unleashing a neurological cycle of degeneration.
Susan Redline, a professor of sleep medicine in Boston, has found links between sleep deprivation and the onset of neuropsychiatric disorders such as anxiety and bipolar depression.
Over time, forcing the body to stay awake also affects blood pressure and levels of inflammation, resulting in an increased susceptibility to heart disease and cancer.
So those are the long-term issues. But what about the immediate consequences?
Recent research at Harvard and Berkeley has just revealed a very dangerous side effect of pulling an all-nighter – short term euphoria.
After missing a night's sleep, the mesolimbic pathway (the neural circuit that controls pleasure and reward) is strongly stimulated. The process is driven by a chemical called dopamine.
The higher dopamine levels that result from your sleepless night may mean you enjoy a boost in motivation, positivity, even sex drive. You may think that sounds good; unfortunately you'd be wrong.
Not only are these feelings brief, but the dopamine surge also encourages addiction and impulsive behaviour. The regions of the brain responsible for planning and evaluating decisions simply shut down once deprived of sleep, meaning that you're inclined to be overly optimistic and happy to take risks.
Some research indicates that if the mesolimbic pathway is frequently over-stimulated by sleep deprivation, there could be permanent brain damage. This is because of the brain's "neural plasticity" – which means its ability to adapt to new situations. When it's forced to operate in a different state on a regular basis, it permanently alters itself.
And don't even think of pulling an all-nighter before an exam: researchers say that does more harm than good. Last-minute cramming refuses to sink in, because the consolidation of memories occurs during deep sleep.
Not only that, but all-nighters actually weaken the coupling between the structures responsible for episodic memory, meaning that when you try to recall specific events, the circuitry simply isn't up to it.

Source:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2012/oct/09/students-beware-sleep-deprivation

Reaction score
Is there a minimum hour of sleep that we should get? I mean what's the minimum number of hours we should sleep per day?

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb...
Sleep is important....just like eating and drinking is....but it has to be done within a limit....under-sleeping is harmful but so is over-sleeping....from personal experience i can say that, when one is stressed, one tends to sleep more (to kinda forget all the worries)....so all i wanted to say is, sleep right......not over, not under but just the amount you need to rejuvenate yourself and refresh your body system....:)

minato112 this article might help : http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb...
Sleep is important....just like eating and drinking is....but it has to be done within a limit....under-sleeping is harmful but so is over-sleeping....from personal experience i can say that, when one is stressed, one tends to sleep more (to kinda forget all the worries)....so all i wanted to say is, sleep right......not over, not under but just the amount you need to rejuvenate yourself and refresh your body system....:)

minato112 this article might help : http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need
Thnxx a lot! :)

That table helped.how_much_large.jpg

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
First of all, Thankyou so much BadRobot14 for sharing this thread with us, i was like soooo shocked when i read this because to be honest, sometimes i stay up late at night :whistle: I was really shocked when i read this and thankful that now i know the side effects of staying up all night :)

Thankyou Once again BadRobot14 :)

You're welcome... np.

Reaction score
Wow I really wish I could show that article to my friends...its quite amazimg how many teens alone world-wide don't get enough sleep all the time and think there aren't any consequences..actually, I bet most of them actually suffer euphoria and don't know it, thinking the hyperactiveness shows how they don't need the sleep afterall. Admitedly, I too have experienced it and felt great:(

Reaction score
Jazakallah for sharing badrobot14 :D Needed it cuz sometimes I pull off three all-nighters in a row :whistle:

Btw.. Sleeping is nessecary for information sorting too, which is why you should sleep right after studying. And not do anything that will activate you - like games or tv or XPC :p Instead something like meditation (maybe Salah) is useful :) Just some additional knowledge that I had :)

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Jazakallah for sharing badrobot14 :D Needed it cuz sometimes I pull off three all-nighters in a row :whistle:

Btw.. Sleeping is nessecary for information sorting too, which is why you should sleep right after studying. And not do anything that will activate you - like games or tv or XPC :p Instead something like meditation (maybe Salah) is useful :) Just some additional knowledge that I had :)

wa iyyaki..
I see they teach you well at med school....
jazakillah khair for the info... :)

Reaction score
a person should get exactly 6 hours of sleep and should sleep on same time every night!