• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What to do in Chemistry?? :(

Reaction score
P2 is on Monday. I'm sitting for a re- take...
Last year I learned the theory, did the past papers and got U.
This year, I took different classes, and spent most of my time thinking "how" to study for a good grade in A level Chemistry. Because I had tried the hardwork, there must be other things. :(
And now, two days before the exam, I 'm still not sure about the resources I'm studying from
( chemguide ) to do any good too. I still don't know how to do it . My tutor is emphasizing on do past papers or you won't get a grade thing... Well, I'm starting to lose confidence in that thought...
How to do it??
If textbooks are worthless, websites aren't giving the expected result and past papers don't just improve, then what to do??
btw I asked more straightforewardly in the thread titled, Past papers vs theory but nobody answered. They might be thinking I was whining. So here is what i was actually trying to say with some background...
If anyone has tips, please share. :(

Reaction score
Well, how is your preparation so far? Have you actually done any past papers? If so, approximately how many marks are you getting in a paper? You don't have to do every past paper there is, just do the ones from like 2011-2007 to get a gist of how the questions are. Also, make sure you know your organic very well, usually 40-50% of the paper is based on that alone and if you are good at it, chances are you will get an A in P2.

As for notes, I study from my teacher's notes and use chemguide when in doubt. Chemguide is actually a pretty awesome site, if it works for you then use it. Also, if you have any problems then just post them, I am fairly sure people here will solve your problems. :)

Reaction score
This year, I took different classes, and spent most of my time thinking "how" to study for a good grade in A level Chemistry. Because I had tried the hardwork, there must be other things. :(
And now, two days before the exam, I 'm still not sure about the resources I'm studying from
( chemguide ) to do any good too. I still don't know how to do it . My tutor is emphasizing on do past papers or you won't get a grade thing... Well, I'm starting to lose confidence in that thought...
How to do it??
If textbooks are worthless, websites aren't giving the expected result and past papers don't just improve, then what to do??
btw I asked more straightforewardly in the thread titled, Past papers vs theory but nobody answered. They might be thinking I was whining. So here is what i was actually trying to say with some background...

Answering your question regarding past-paper vs theory. Its simple if you study theory and don't attempt past papers, you'll land on a B or If your extremely good, A. If you only solve 5 years of past papers, you'll get a C. The thing is you need to find a balance. Get the grasp of the concepts and then solve past papers which will (INSHALLAH) land you on a A.

Reaction score
and one more thing, Its best if you stop searching for material on the internet. USE your own books and notes. Roger Norris for Chem is the best book, trust me. Its never too late
and still if your unsure about your prep, I would NEVER recommend this but even If you learn organic and inorganic by heart. It's likely you'll get a good grade as Question 4 & 5 are organic and 3 is usually inorganic but trust me, use this method ONLY as a last resort! Best of luck! :)

Reaction score
How to do it??
just make your concepts crystal clear...
Pick difficult topics ,read them from book and thn solve related questions . and see that are you able to apply whatever you read.
do past paper questions topic wise.

Reaction score
the thing that really did the trick for me in chem was 'ratafication' :p and nothing else. SERIOUSLY. You practically need to learn every other reaction given, specially in organic AND inorganic chem.....its the same reactions these CIE people question again and again,altering it just a little bit, and im talking 100% from experience.

Book reading is crucial, don't miss out on it for anything :)