• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Which calculators are allowed in CIE examinations?

Reaction score
AhmadArabiyat said:
Ummmm... But we don't deal with those in IGCSE or O- Level Maths?

You can actually use differentiation for a kind of a trick for tangents, to find their gradient and draw them more accurately in graphs, kinda real complicated to understand on a forum, you need to take C1 to know it.

Our teacher gave us C1, because we finished the Syllabus last year.

Actually i was using this trick but now if this calculator cannot be used then do u know any other simple way to draw tangents accurately??

Reaction score
Well, just find the derivative of the equation e.g: Y = x2 + 2x + 1, draw this and draw a tangent at x = 2, derivative of this equation = 2x + 2, substitute 2 in this tangent equation: 2.2 + 2 = 6, so the gradient = 6, put the ruler on the graph to make the gradient 6, but you need 2 points, one of them is (2,y-coordinate of this x point) and the second is the y-intercept, put the ruler on these 2 points and draw the tangent.
That's how I do it, quite easy.

If you don't know anything bout derivative and differentiation without using your calculator, don't risk doing this method.

Reaction score
hahahahahaha said:
Well i a have casio 991 MS is it fine

In doubt about it.... It does have that symbolic method of calculations so probably not.... When you are giving your first paper ask the invigilator about it... Confirm then go with it....

Reaction score
cHeStEr said:
I have Casio fx-991MS with cover .. It seems that we are not allowed to get the cover into the examination room .. If it is .. why is it so ? Here is a link of my Calculator for instance -
http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=h ... 66&bih=625

Thanking in advance to the replier !
Cheers !

CIE is very strict about it that you take in anything extra in the exam hall which you don't need in there... Even they say make sure that the calculator's memory is cleared... Pencil cases or calculator cases etc are not allowed... If the cover has a page type inside it then better don't take it with yourself or if you can remove it then remove and take the cover without that quick reference information...

Reaction score
Hmm... according to these rules, mine wouldn't be allowed.

Yet, when I asked my teacher just two weeks ago, he said my calculator's fine and that I'm allowed to use it.

:?

Reaction score
which one is it? Is Fx-991ES allowed or what?? cause i have the maths test this monday... :shock:

Reaction score
pang2jr said:
which one is it? Is Fx-991ES allowed or what?? cause i have the maths test this monday... :shock:

Its allowed... You can use it...

Asad said:
Yaar cn any1 tell me the prices of fx 991 es and fx 82MS
I hv 570es bt it's a china bakvass model and doesnt have anythng.
tell me the prices i want to buy all of them
thanks

Ummm... For fx82MS my friend said 770 Rs...

Reaction score
Hi, for 2013 (which it now is) how about the Casio FX82AU Plus? Does anyone know if the "plus" makes a difference? Thanks!

Reaction score
Its allowed... You can use it...

Ummm... For fx82MS my friend said 770 Rs...
thanks for information but kindly tell me one thing more. 991-es has differentiation and integration, so why it is allowed?
and is it allowed for add-maths as well?

Reaction score
thanks for information but kindly tell me one thing more. 991-es has differentiation and integration, so why it is allowed?
and is it allowed for add-maths as well?

You need to show them steps to get marks for those questions. Yes!

Reaction score
How about FX-85ES Plus? By the way 991MS is banned, the reason why I had to buy a new FX-85ES Plus

Reaction score
try the Texas Instruments' TI-36X Pro.. awesome stuff and its got constants, conversions, function table, quadratic solver, equation solver etc.
Can u give me the link where u have found these instructions? and if this calculator is not allowed which calculator should i buy?