• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Which calculators are allowed in CIE examinations?

Reaction score
This is from the Examination Regulation document:
8. Calculators with any of the following facilities are prohibited and use of any such calculators will be regarded as malpractice:
• graphic display
• data banks
• dictionaries
• language translators
• retrieval or manipulation of text or formulae
• QWERT keyboards
• built-in symbolic algebra manipulations
• symbolic differentiation or integration
• capability of remote communication with other machines

If your calculator has any of these, it may not be used. The "fx-991es" has the Symbolic differentiation, so it may not be used unfortunately.

Please read the instructions for: a) Examination Regulations Regarding the Use of Calculators and Dictionaries.
b) The IGCSE/GCE Guidelines.
Search for them on Google.

Reaction score
Correction: Check your calculator upon these instructions, I just found out there is more models named "fx-991es", Sorry for that.

Reaction score
Can u give me the link where u have found these instructions? and if this calculator is not allowed which calculator should i buy?

Reaction score
PlanetMaster says this

"It should be non-graphical and non-programmable.
All Casio MS & ES are allowed."

Reaction score
Is this the same thing for even igcse? and in this list fx-991es by casio is not written :(

Reaction score
HyDraZin3 said:
Is this the same thing for even igcse? and in this list fx-991es by casio is not written :(

Yes I guess same for IGCSE...

and

CaptainDanger said:
PlanetMaster says this

"It should be non-graphical and non-programmable.
All Casio MS & ES are allowed."
This is what Planet Master said... SO no need to worry... :) Do take two calculators one can run out of battery.... So you can use the other...

Reaction score
I dont think fx-991es is allowed after seeing these posts cuz with that calculator we can do integration as well as differentiation
:( :(

Reaction score
These are allowed too

AURORA
SC 550

FIAMO
SC 6
SC 20

CANON
F-715S

CASIO
FX 82AU
FX 82MS
FX 85MS
FX 95MS
FX 95 SG Plus
FX 350MS
FX 820MS
FX 992S

HEWLETT PACKARD
HP 8S
HP 9S
HP10S
HOSEKI
H-1030
H-1031

SHARP
EL 509VM
EL 509 W
EL 509WM
EL 509WS
EL 546VA
EL W531S

TEXAS INSTRUMENTS
TI 30XIIB
TI 30XIIS
TI 34 II

Reaction score
HyDraZin3 said:
I dont think fx-991es is allowed after seeing these posts cuz with that calculator we can do integration as well as differentiation

Ummmm... But we don't deal with those in IGCSE or O- Level Maths?

AhmadArabiyat said:
Also, this calculator can do Quadratic equations, I don't think that would be allowed too.

Now for that yeah I guess then Its not allowed.... Though for Maths paper only... You can use it for Chem or Physics...

Reaction score
Are the invigilators supposed to check which calculator you have? I think it's unfair if the centre doesn't inform you beforehand that you can only have certain calculators.

Reaction score
Well CIE does give the Handbook to all centres for this and all other information... You can check one HERE Check the 3.3.3 topic there....

Reaction score
HyDraZin3 said:

I found the answer there...

Check my last post....

They say "THe Calculator must not be able to manipulate algebra, it must be purely """numerical""" integration/differentiation."

Symbolic ones are not allowed!!!! Numerical ones okay.... :)

Reaction score
Ummmm... But we don't deal with those in IGCSE or O- Level Maths?

You can actually use differentiation for a kind of a trick for tangents, to find their gradient and draw them more accurately in graphs, kinda real complicated to understand on a forum, you need to take C1 to know it.

Our teacher gave us C1, because we finished the Syllabus last year.