• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Which major is more interesting?

Reaction score
So I'm hopefully going to university next year, but I'm having difficulty deciding between these 2 main majors which I think have caught my attention:

-Computer Science
-Chemical Engineering

Chemical engineering is more thriving in my country than CS, and the pay here is very high. Chemistry is my favourite science too. In IGCSE I only did Co-ordinated science which I got A*A* in, and I'm doing Chemistry in AS this year inshallah. My plan is if I find myself excelling at it that's the career path I'm choosing to go. Also, the university which I'm going to for this offers up to a Masters degree.

Then there's CS. I have a deep passion for computers and I've always had. I thought I would be very interested in programming and the likes, but after reading some books and checking the course syllabus at the university which offers it, I thought it might be a bit boring and lack-luster, especially because of how heavily it depends on math (more than that of ChemE). I received an A* on my iGCSE ICT exam, and that's the only experience I've had with it. Can't do computing in AS because my school doesn't offer it unfortunately. Also, it isn't a big sector in my country and the jobs available usually require a Phd (this university only offers a Bachelors).

So I'd just like to hear peoples' opinions about which one they'd prefer and why, based on the context I've placed the 2 in above.

-Thanks ;)

Reaction score
So I'm hopefully going to university next year, but I'm having difficulty deciding between these 2 main majors which I think have caught my attention:

-Computer Science
-Chemical Engineering

Chemical engineering is more thriving in my country than CS, and the pay here is very high. Chemistry is my favourite science too. In IGCSE I only did Co-ordinated science which I got A*A* in, and I'm doing Chemistry in AS this year inshallah. My plan is if I find myself excelling at it that's the career path I'm choosing to go. Also, the university which I'm going to for this offers up to a Masters degree.

Then there's CS. I have a deep passion for computers and I've always had. I thought I would be very interested in programming and the likes, but after reading some books and checking the course syllabus at the university which offers it, I thought it might be a bit boring and lack-luster, especially because of how heavily it depends on math (more than that of ChemE). I received an A* on my iGCSE ICT exam, and that's the only experience I've had with it. Can't do computing in AS because my school doesn't offer it unfortunately. Also, it isn't a big sector in my country and the jobs available usually require a Phd (this university only offers a Bachelors).

So I'd just like to hear peoples' opinions about which one they'd prefer and why, based on the context I've placed the 2 in above.

-Thanks ;)
Looks like you have far more interest in Chemical Engineering than Computer Science. In case that's true, go for Chemical Engineering. Don't worry that much about the scope . Because scopes keep getting changed, the curve doesn't remain constant for one engineering. Who knows, you might get a job out of your country after your studies! So go with your interest... It makes studies and work easier later...
By the way, Computer Science has an up which is free lancing. Other engineering don't have that . Just telling it 's a factor.

Reaction score
Oh you also said you're excelling in Chemical Engineering, then go for it! Let's see how you feel about AS Chemistry , not trying to scare you or anything hehe
That's a big up. (y)

Reaction score
PhD is a research intensive degree, it is not always to get the typical job. It's more research oriented, so that's the first thing to look at, everyone doesn't want to end up doing long hours of research work already after studying so much. Earning a bachelors in either would require a lot of hard work which is mostly exhausting, so you will be willing to find a job and stay away from studying for some time after your bachelors. So, decide that in terms of the starting salary prospects in your country of both careers. Math wise either major will involve the boring calibre maths but the added factor in chem eng is that chemistry itself is no walk in the park.

My suggestion is to base your decision depending on how you find A level chem, because it is only a glimpse (a rough one) of the real world of chemistry courses

Reaction score
PhD is a research intensive degree, it is not always to get the typical job. It's more research oriented, so that's the first thing to look at, everyone doesn't want to end up doing long hours of research work already after studying so much. Earning a bachelors in either would require a lot of hard work which is mostly exhausting, so you will be willing to find a job and stay away from studying for some time after your bachelors. So, decide that in terms of the starting salary prospects in your country of both careers. Math wise either major will involve the boring calibre maths but the added factor in chem eng is that chemistry itself is no walk in the park.

My suggestion is to base your decision depending on how you find A level chem, because it is only a glimpse (a rough one) of the real world of chemistry courses

I'm definitely just doing the bachelors and then finding a job. The salary for chemical engineering is abut the same as that of CS, if not a little higher in general where I'm from. Regarding your final suggestion, I am indeed basing my decision off of how AS-Level chemistry turns out. My school doesn't offer A-Levels, and the minimum for the university I'm applying to is AS-Levels. But to compensate, I'm required to do a foundation course in my first year of university instead of immediately starting off with the normal courses. Do you have any further opinions/suggestions based on what I just said? I'd be glad to hear it.