• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

5090 Biology Oct/Nov 2017 revision

Reaction score
for ATP you must know
1. Test for food substances (How to test if different food have different amount of food substances)
2. Photosynthesis experiments. basically everything in the syllabus about plants like germination, plant reproduction.
3. Magnification formula
4. Basic cell structures for comparison purposes.
5. You must know a control for each experiment.
6. Know osmosis and how changes in concentration increase or decrease the cell size.
remember that in experiments you should not miss any important procedure otherwise, you would lose marks

for example in O/N 2017 P6
Describe how you would use Benedict’s solution to test for reducing sugar in a piece of potato.
Include details of a safety precaution in your answer.

Here you must know that this test will be done after crushing the piece of potato. Benedict's solution is added. For benedict's test you need a solution.
also you must heat or warm the content in test tube. this is a must procedure you must mention.
For precaution, you can mention water bath / goggles or glasses / eye protection / don’t heat directly.

The students compared the colour of their solutions after the same length of time. State three
other variables that the students should have controlled to make their results comparable.

in this type of questions know what you are using for the test. For better results always vary what experiment is done. keep all the others same.
For this test you will use benedict's solution, potato and heat for tests.

For example
1. Use same concentration or drops of benedict's solution for each test
2. Use same number of glucose solution (crushed potato+distilled water)
3. Set the temperature same.
Are there specific formulas for magnification in atp

Reaction score
Thanks once again these are really helpful
for ATP you must know
1. Test for food substances (How to test if different food have different amount of food substances)
2. Photosynthesis experiments. basically everything in the syllabus about plants like germination, plant reproduction.
3. Magnification formula
6. Know osmosis and how changes in concentration increase or decrease the cell size.
remember that in experiments you should not miss any important procedure otherwise, you would lose marks

Describe how you would use Benedict’s solution to test for reducing sugar in a piece of potato.

Here you must know that this test will be done after crushing the piece of potato. Benedict's solution is added. For benedict's test you need a solution.
also you must heat or warm the content in test tube. this is a must procedure you must mention.
For precaution, you can mention water bath / goggles or glasses / eye protection / don’t heat directly.

The students compared the colour of their solutions after the same length of time. State three
other variables that the students should have controlled to make their results comparable.

in this type of questions know what you are using for the test. For better results always vary what experiment is done. keep all the others same.

For example

Reaction score
Thanks once again these are really helpful
for ATP you must know
3. Magnification formula

For example

Reaction score
Hello, being a student in my last of O-levels, I'm finding myself busy revising and preparing myself for the May/June 2018 CIE s. Biology is quite an easy subject due to my fascination of the human body and that the content is straight forward. However, when attempting Section B and C question where they ask you to relate and explain concepts the intertwine with each other, those of 5-8 marks, I find that there is plenty of information to write about, but only so little space to write your answer. I want to state the main points and details that relate to it, but I don't seem to get the hang of it. The mark scheme is not particularly helpful with answering the question.

So, my question to you, is how can I take detailed information I studied for various topics and shorten it to the way where I give relevant points an details pertaining to the question?

NOTE: Getting A is not that hard, I have a desire and expectation of giving responses that would earn me distinction in Biology.

Reaction score
Hello, being a student in my last of O-levels, I'm finding myself busy revising and preparing myself for the May/June 2018 CIE s. Biology is quite an easy subject due to my fascination of the human body and that the content is straight forward. However, when attempting Section B and C question where they ask you to relate and explain concepts the intertwine with each other, those of 5-8 marks, I find that there is plenty of information to write about, but only so little space to write your answer. I want to state the main points and details that relate to it, but I don't seem to get the hang of it. The mark scheme is not particularly helpful with answering the question.

So, my question to you, is how can I take detailed information I studied for various topics and shorten it to the way where I give relevant points an details pertaining to the question?

NOTE: Getting A is not that hard, I have a desire and expectation of giving responses that would earn me distinction in Biology.
I am also going to appear in may \june 2018 exam and I too have problem while adjusting information but what one can do is to write two the point answer basically according to marks writing extra information will be a waste of time and one will not gain extra marks for that and try to write the key point which you think are more relevant and important then others

Reaction score

HELLO THERE,
THE PROBLEM IS THINKING THAT YOU HAVE TO WRITE A LOT TO GET THOSE MARKS BUT IN REALITY YOU DONT HAVE TO.
I FOUND FROM MY EXPERIENCE THAT YOU NEED TO MENTION SOME SPECIFIC POINTS TO GET THE MARKS.
AND TRUST ME THE ANSWERING LINES ARE ENOUGH ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I SAID.
I RECEIVE THIS COMMENT FROM MANY OF MY TUITION STUDENTS ALSO.
THE PROBLEM STARTS WHEN YOU TRY TO WRITE EVERYTHING YOU KNOW FROM THE SYLLABUS.
FIRST OF ALL, READ THE QUESTION KEYWORD.
SECOND, READ THE QUESTION WHAT THEY WANT TO KNOW.
THIRD, CHECK HOW MANY MARKS IS ALLOCATED FOR QUESTION.
5 MARKS MEANS CONNECTING FIVE POINTS. NOT MORE. TRUST ME THEY DONT WANT MORE.

8 (a) Explain how water is taken into a plant. ON2017/P2

if it is water it will be taken up how? osmosis
what is osmosis? water moves from high to low water potential across a partially permeable membrane.
from where do we get water? from soil so water is uptaken by roothair

sample answer
Water is taken into a plant through root hairs (1mark) by osmosis (1mark) . Water moves from high to low water
potential (1 mark) through the cell wall and cell membrane (1 mark) . [4]

(b) Suggest and explain why plants that absorb a toxic chemical from the soil that slows down
the rate of respiration, do not grow as well as those growing in toxin-free soils.

why will plants not grow? what is needed for growth?
1. amino acids for growth

how does plant get its food sources?
1. by photosynthesis
2. photosynthesis is done by using chlorophyll
3. what is needed for chlorophyll? magnesium

what happens when respiration slows down? why is it so important?
1. all ions are uptaken by plants using active transport which needs energy from respiration.
2. so when respiration slows down less energy is released, so less active transport so less ions absorbed.
which ions are absorbed less?
1. nitrate ions to manufacture proteins for growth.
2. magnesium ions used to manufacture chlorophyll so when less magnesium is taken up less photosynthesis
occurs. so less sugar produced.

sample answer
when respiration slows down energy produced also reduces (1mark) so less active transport occurs (1mark) reducing the amount of
ions absorbed by the plant (1mark). when plant absorbs fewer nitrate ions not enough proteins can be manufactured for growth (1mark) so
plant shows stunted growth. When less magnesium is absorbed chlorophyll (1mark) is not absorbed as much as the plant needs so
less photosynthesis occurs. hence less starch will be produced. (1mark) [6]

as you can see i am not writing more. i am finding what is needed for the question and writing specific points to get the marks.
i am writing for the marks allocated.
by doing this i can save time and focus on other questions.
IF YOU WANT ANSWERS FOR OTHER QUESTIONS I CAN HELP. JUST POST IT HERE. I CAN EXPLAIN WHAT YOU NEED TO WRITE.
I HOPE THIS HELP YOU.