• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey can anyone please check this answer?? Lemme knw if i need to add more and if you have a better answer plz gimme :DView attachment 41185View attachment 41185
There is a major mistake in your answer which i must clarify.U have mentioned "plasma cells produces memory cells and antibodies" which is completely a false statement and will be penalized.After clonal selection,specific B-lymphocytes are stimulated which divide by mitosis into memory cells and plasma cells.Plasma cells produce antibodies against the parasite and memory cells remain in blood and divide into plasma cells and more memory cells if the same antigen is reintroduced in the body.

Reaction score
Thanks alot can u tell me why is it difficult to develop an effective vaccine for malaria
1.they have many antigens
2.eukarayote have many different satges of life cylce
3.mutation changes antgens
4.Parasite only vulurnable at certain stage of life cycle
Also, whatever vaccine is developed can not generate a strong enough immune response to eradicate all the parasite in the body.

Reaction score
Hey can anyone please check this answer?? Lemme knw if i need to add more and if you have a better answer plz gimme :DView attachment 41185View attachment 41185

Well you answer is correct but you don't need to add the last line, B-cells develop into plasma cells upon next attack, which is ok but doesn't needs to be there. Because they only want how antibodies are produced. I guess you need to include T-Lymphocyte Cells, not only plasma because B-lymphocytes are activated or stimulated by T-cells, by producing cytokines. So include T-lymphocytes in your answer. You might also want to include Role of macro phage (Antigen-Presenting Cell).
You wrote the right answer i guess instead of B-cells having immunoglobin write T-cells having immunoglobin/receptors to detect the antigen, which then... [clonal selection, expansion], produce cytokines to stimulate B-Cells which develop into plasma and memory cells. Plasma cells .....[functions]
T-Cells should be included in your answer.

Reaction score
Also, whatever vaccine is developed can not generate a strong enough immune response to eradicate all the parasite in the body.

A simple answer is a vaccine cannot be developed, even if it is developed malaria has thousands of anitgens which mutate/ are different during their life time. So even if the vaccine is developed it will very in-effective. Because malaria has thousands of antigens which change during their life cycle. And it uses antigen concealment [Lives in RBC and liver cells], which prevent anti-bodies or is away from effective immune response.
And is only venerable in a certain period of time.
Hope this helps ;)

Reaction score
Companion cells pump out H+ ions outside the cell by the process of active transport against the conc. gradient using energy from ATP molecules.This causes the concentration of H+ ions to increase outside the companion cell causing them to move down the conc. gradient.H+ ions and sucrose molecules move into companion cell through a cotransporter molecule.Sucrose moves into the companion cell against the conc. gradient and then they move into sieve tube thru plasmodesmata.

Reaction score
Mark Scheme is shit i have to say in this case i got confused too.
Well we can't see symptoms because, the fetal hemoglobin is produced inside the body and has no signs. So like we can't know.
A type of similar answer i know it is not good but some thing like we don't know when is hemoglobin being produced, it is normal or fetal ..etc.

Reaction score
Companion cells pump out H+ ions outside the cell by the process of active transport against the conc. gradient using energy from ATP molecules.This causes the concentration of H+ ions to increase outside the companion cell causing them to move down the conc. gradient.H+ ions and sucrose molecules move into companion cell through a cotransporter molecule.Sucrose moves into the companion cell against the conc. gradient and then they move into sieve tube thru plasmodesmata.
Gd..
So sucrose moves Into companian by active transport or difusion?

Reaction score
Mark Scheme is shit i have to say in this case i got confused too.
Well we can't see symptoms because, the fetal hemoglobin is produced inside the body and has no signs. So like we can't know.
A type of similar answer i know it is not good but some thing like we don't know when is hemoglobin being produced, it is normal or fetal ..etc.
Can we say that whn the fetal Hb Increases the adult Hb decrease which binds more to the oxygen so symptoms can be observed as the oxygen concentration is not affected ._.?

Reaction score
Reaction score
I will try.. :p
In Sickel Cell anaemia Glu is replaced with val. ( u shuld know this)
If u look at Previous Part Glu is CTC.. And Val is CAC.. i chose this because they asked for One base substitutions. No coming to the answer..
A change is DNA triplet is a mutation which is cause By Substituion of A in PLace of T in DNa Template.. This in turn Alters mRNA codon and as we know Diffrent tRNA are specific to each amino acid so these Would be changed too and tRNA brings an Incorrect amino acid Val instead of Glu... This alters Polypeptide chain and Produces an Incorrect Polypeptide!
If u want u could mention Codes on mRNA and tRNA! :)