• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
thank you!!!!
very much!!
people over here are kind and willing to help

i too love the subject biology, but am not very good at tweaking the information i study
i mean i can only write what i study....

for example the mRNA question i posted i have the notes about the topic under which it comes but i donno how to answer using the ,,, i mean the info is scattered ....

do you have any ideas on how to customize the notes which i study and make it applicable for exam??????
welcome, yeah dre r many helping people, dats the beauty of this forum :p. i also enjoy bio but sometimes it is a PAIN. anyway u should do 5 year past ppr practice, whichever concept u lack u should go back to ur notes books etc, i think dats the way to cement ur concepts and memorize stuff effectively. u should see the marking schemes as well. and keep posting questions.

this might help : http://www.biologymad.com/
http://www.mrothery.co.uk/

Reaction score
another question i am unable to answer!!

View attachment 5601
please give me the answer to this question
i mean does mRNA have stages after it leaves the nucleus and enters the cytoplasm of a cell????

ok this will cover up protein synthesis i.e transcription and translation which includes the role of mRNA as well.

In the nucleus part of a DNA molecule unwinds and unzips as the hydrogen bonds between the bases break. free activitated RNA nucleotides pair up with the exposed bases of one strand only. as the RNA nucleotides pair up with their complementary ones, their sugar phosphate groups are bonded together to form a sugar phosphate backbone. the new single stranded molecule which has formed is called messenger RNA. it leaves the nucleus via a pore in the nuclear envelope.
in the cytoplasm there are free amino acids and transfer RNA molecules. at one end of each tRNA molecule is a site to which an amino acid can bind. at the other end are three unpaired bases. the base triplet is called an anti codon. each tRNA molecule bonds with a particular amino acid, under the control of a specific enzyme and with energy from atp.
meanwhile, also in the cytoplasm, the mRNA molecule attaches to a ribosome. ribosome are made of ribosomal RNA and protein and contain a small and large subunit. the mRNA binds to the small subunit. six bases at a time are exposed to the large subunit.
the first three exposed bases, or codons are always AUG. A tRNA molecule with the complementary anticodon, UAC, forms hydrogen bonds with this codon.

a second trna molecule bonds with the next three exposed bases. this one brings a different amino aicd. the two amino acids are held closelty together, and a peptide bond is formed between them. this reaction is catalysed by the enzyme peptidyl transferase, which is found in the small subunit of the ribosome.

the ribosome now moves along the mRNA reading the next three bases on the ribosome. a third tRNA molecule brings a third amino acid, which joins to the second one. the first tRNA leaves.

the polypeptide chain continues to grow like a good baby until a stop codon is exposed on the ribosome. this is UAA, UAC OR UGA. reference to this info is from mary jones book.

Reaction score
could u guys pls help me
define substrate level phosphorylation
pls help me i m desperate thnx in advance:cry:

Reaction score
thank you!!!!
very much!!
people over here are kind and willing to help

i too love the subject biology, but am not very good at tweaking the information i study
i mean i can only write what i study....

for example the mRNA question i posted i have the notes about the topic under which it comes but i donno how to answer using the ,,, i mean the info is scattered ....

do you have any ideas on how to customize the notes which i study and make it applicable for exam??????

The most important thing is to understand what you are reading (i'm referring to the notes) and extract what is required.
For such concepts, like the mRNA - it is better you draw up a diagram/schematic diagram by yourself using the notes and write few and concise notes on the diagram itself - try this, it might help you :) [sometimes i even draw cartoons to understand :p].

Read your question, see the glossary of terms in your syllabus if you want to know the significance of what the examiner is telling you (E.g. Explain, why, describe...).
If you have understood what's going on, you can easily tell the examiner, in your own words the events that occur. :)

Reaction score
could u guys pls help me
define substrate level phosphorylation
pls help me i m desperate thnx in advance:cry:
well according to Wikipedia its "Substrate-level phosphorylation is a type of metabolism that results in the formation and creation of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) or guanosine triphosphate (GTP) by the direct transfer and donation of a phosphoryl (PO3) group to adenosine diphosphate (ADP) or guanosine diphosphate (GDP) from a phosphorylated reactive intermediate. Note that the phosphate group does not have to directly come from the substrate. By convention, the phosphoryl group that is transferred is referred to as a phosphate group." Hope It helps :)

Reaction score
can some one please help me out with November o6 paper 4 Q2. i dont get how do we calculate the ratios for each!
thanks in advance!

Reaction score
can some1 send me a link to
AS bio pp1 s02 and
w11 pp1 , 2 and 3 plz thankyou!

Reaction score
does any1 have AS bio and chem papers from 1990's and can u send me a link plz ty!

Reaction score
Assalamualaikum friends :)

I need help in searching for images of the human reproductive system, e.g. the structure of testis, and the labellings for the Graafian follicle as these questions usually come out during the A level examination..

Does anyone have a good website to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
i donot understand how the length of scale bar is 200000 ?
guide doubt.jpg

some one explain this thankyou!!!

Reaction score
Did you measure the length of the chloroplast?
well yes i did but in no way am i getting the answer according to the question
they asked to measure the scale bar .... I get 23mm and basically that will be 23000_micrometer not 200000_micrometer