• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.jpg
p41 june 2014 help in part b of q 2
i found this in examiner report
t was rare to find a candidate who clearly described DNA sequencing, rather than just an application of electrophoresis. A correct description of automated Sanger sequencing needed to refer to modified PCR using chain-terminating dideoxynucleotides, followed by electrophretic separation of the different length DNA copies, plus the use of a laser scanner to detect the fluorescently tagged dideoxynucleotides.
in er
(total) DNA / genome, cut into fragments ; by restriction enzymes ; DNA, denatured / made single stranded ; ref. primers / (modified) PCR ; ref. dideoxynucleotides / chain termination ; DNA / Taq, polymerase ; copies of different lengths produced ; electrophoresis ; A description detection, of fluorescence / by laser scanner ; sequence of, bases / nucleotides, read (by computer)

Last edited:
Reaction score
View attachment 59869
p41 june 2014 help in part b of q 2
i found this in examiner report
t was rare to find a candidate who clearly described DNA sequencing, rather than just an application of electrophoresis. A correct description of automated Sanger sequencing needed to refer to modified PCR using chain-terminating dideoxynucleotides, followed by electrophretic separation of the different length DNA copies, plus the use of a laser scanner to detect the fluorescently tagged dideoxynucleotides.
in er
(total) DNA / genome, cut into fragments ; by restriction enzymes ; DNA, denatured / made single stranded ; ref. primers / (modified) PCR ; ref. dideoxynucleotides / chain termination ; DNA / Taq, polymerase ; copies of different lengths produced ; electrophoresis ; A description detection, of fluorescence / by laser scanner ; sequence of, bases / nucleotides, read (by computer)
The image is small.
What do you need help in?

Reaction score
m j p41 2014 q2
what is sanger proceess why they ask about it in pp if it is not in sy
we only took microarray
how do they ask about SANGER PROCESS
I don't know if it is still in syllabus or not. I think it is actullay.
Well DNA sequencing is the process of determining the precise order of nucleotides within a DNA molecule .To determine the exact sequence of DNA , We take 4 test tubes and in each test tube take a specific dideoxynucleotide i.e Adenine in one while cytosine in other and so on..
Dideoxynucleotides are chain-elongating inhibitors of DNA polymerase.
Sanger sequencing is a method of DNA sequencing based on the selective incorporation of chain-terminating dideoxynucleotides by DNA polymerase during in vitro DNA replication.

Watch the vid. you ll get the idea really easily.
Hope it helps.

Reaction score
With reference to any named species of plant or animal, explain why this species is considered
to be endangered and outline the reasons that have caused it to become endangered. [8]
[Total: 15]
10 (a) Describe the action of penicillin on bacteria. [8]
are they still in syllabus

Reaction score
Well DNA sequencing is the process of determining the precise order of nucleotides within a DNA molecule .To determine the exact sequence of DNA , We take 4 test tubes and in each test tube take a specific dideoxynucleotide i.e Adenine in one while cytosine in other and so on..
Sanger sequencing is a method of DNA sequencing based on the selective incorporation of chain-terminating dideoxynucleotides by DNA polymerase during in vitro DNA replication.

Hope it helps.
Thanks! (y)

Reaction score

Hope it helps.
may u help me to write an answer for this q
m j p41 2014 q2

Reaction score
detail of reproductive isolation
its quite precise in mary jones and it doesnt include some of the MS points
please HELP

Reaction score
may u help me to write an answer for this q
m j p41 2014 q2
Q2(a) Cross pollination occurs between two parents rather than a single parent.Both parents are not closely related so out breeding takes place.Therefore,a greater variety of alleles are present as both parents have different genotypes .since these are passed onto the offspring new alleles are formed in it.
b)DNA is cut into pieces using a restriction enzyme and is denatured to a single strand.DNA polymerase has to form a complementary strand to it.thus it is initiated by a primer that attaches to the start of the DNA chain and continues to add nucleotides along the strand and DNA forms complementary pairs to frm copies of different lenghts.DNA fragments are ready for electrophoresis to make them visible .They are transferred onto an absorbent paper on top of the gel across an elctric field.DNA probes carrying flourescent stains that show up in UV light .The sequences of base is interpreted by the computer

Reaction score
Hello guys
Can u plz explain ??
Bio practical paper

Attachments

• 20160330_191755.jpg
    20160330_191755.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Reaction score
which year maybe we have to say that rubisco catalyses co2 and rubp reaction ,co2 fixation
becasue in ms we have collision between co2 and enzyme above the confusing point
i think we should say that in C more co2 is there to be fixed . more co2 collide with rubp so more enzyme substrate complex forms
this reaction is catalysed by rubisco
by the way its AVP so u can anything but related and valid not only this confusing point