• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
which year maybe we have to say that rubisco catalyses co2 and rubp reaction ,co2 fixation
becasue in ms we have collision between co2 and enzyme above the confusing point
i think we should say that in C more co2 is there to be fixed . more co2 collide with rubp so more enzyme substrate complex forms
this reaction is catalysed by rubisco
by the way its AVP so u can anything but related and valid not only this confusing point
thanks..its june 2006

Reaction score
q36.jpg
Why can't it be cholera? Only sickle cell anemia and tuberculosis can genetically be transferred but the answer is B when A is equally likely

Reaction score
Telophase consists of nuclear envelope reforming , in which cytokenesis specifically refers to division of cytoplasm and cell into two by constriction from edges of cell Only!.
Check out corsebook book mitiotic cell cycle chap.

Reaction score
Telophase consists of nuclear envelope reforming , in which cytokenesis specifically refers to division of cytoplasm and cell into two by constriction from edges of cell Only!.
Check out corsebook book mitiotic cell cycle chap.
Actually, I read that in a mark scheme of a paper 2, that nuclear envelope reforms during cytoknesis. MCQs are just soo confusing! :(

Reaction score
View attachment 59921
Nuclear envelope also reforms during cytokinesis, why is it C?
It's simple, bro. Look they said what is ALWAYS true for cytokenisis. Nuclear envelop is only present in eukaryotic cells. What about prokaryots? They don't have any nuclear envelop. So this statement does not hold true for every type of cell. I think you got it now. Right?

Reaction score
It's simple, bro. Look they said what is ALWAYS true for cytokenisis. Nuclear envelop is only present in eukaryotic cells. What about prokaryots? They don't have any nuclear envelop. So this statement does not hold true for every type of cell. I think you got it now. Right?
yup. get that now :)
Some answers fro MCQs are surprising.People here suggested that I take alook at examiners report.You should also try that maybe it can help you.
yeah you are right, will read er n future as well, thank you

Reaction score
View attachment 59919
Why can't it be cholera? Only sickle cell anemia and tuberculosis can genetically be transferred but the answer is B when A is equally likely

One possible explanation I can think of is that they didn't mean by genetic transfer only. Perhaps if the parent and child live together it is possible for the cholera bacteria to be transferred through using of same food utensils or something like that.

For malaria there is isn't a direct transfer of the disease; a mosquito would have to bite one person and bite the next one.

But I agree it's a bit silly.

Reaction score
One possible explanation I can think of is that they didn't mean by genetic transfer only. Perhaps if the parent and child live together it is possible for the cholera bacteria to be transferred through using of same food utensils or something like that.

For malaria there is isn't a direct transfer of the disease; a mosquito would have to bite one person and bite the next one.

yes exactly :)

Reaction score

Yeah, you're right (y)

Sickle cell anemia is a genetically inherited disease. Cholera bacteria can also be passed on to children from parents, if they are living together. Similarly tuberclosis is transferred when a parent coughs, the vapours containing the bacteria may be inhaled by the children, thus again it's directly passed on.

For malaria, it can't be passed on directly. It requires a vector for its transfer. If there is no vector, disease can never be transferred from parent to child, no matter how severe it is.

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right (y)

Sickle cell anemia is a genetically inherited disease. Cholera bacteria can also be passed on to children from parents, if they are living together. Similarly tuberclosis is transferred when a parent coughs, the vapours containing the bacteria may be inhaled by the children, thus again it's directly passed on.

For malaria, it can't be passed on directly. It requires a vector for its transfer. If there is no vector, disease can never be transferred from parent to child, no matter how severe it is.
Oh yes I forgot even TB isn't transferred genetically.
Your explanation is perfect :)

Reaction score
can somebody help me with this confusing markscheme doubt?
The question says: Outline the differences between the apoplast and symplast pathways after the water has left the xylem?( 4 points)
My answer is: Apoplast:water moves through cell walls only and passes from one cell to another through adjacent cell walls or through airspaces between cells.
Symplast:water moves through cytoplasm and vacuole and passes from one cell to another via plasmodesta.
1221.png
i think i should earn 2 marks for mentioning about plasmodesta and cell walls for apoplast somehow, the 2nd point of the markscheme says 'ref to only cytoplasmic/not including vacuoles' then at the 6th point it says '(includes) vacuolar pathway /(through) vacuoles' and according to my coursebook symplast pathway passes through both cytoplasm and vacuoles.i am confused.how many marks should i earn for mentioning both cytoplasm and vacuole in symplast?