• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Thanks.

Can someone please tell me an outline of the sequence in an Immune Response.

Primary response
1) the pathogen invades the body
2) it damages or weakens body cells
3) the weakened body cells produce proteins called histamines
4) the phagocytes in the blood are attracted to these proteins...(chemotaxis)
5) the phagocytes (macrophages) engulf the pathogen by phagocytosis and display the non self antigens on its surface
6) the T helper cells with the complementary receptors goes and recognizes the antigens of the pathogen, and secretes chemicals which cause the bone marrow to form T Killer cells, and secretes cytokines (hormone-like)
7) B lymphocytes with the complementary surface receptors are activated due to these cytokines and divide by mitosis to produce B-memory cells and Plasma cells.
8) The B memory cells further divide to produce more memory cells and plasma cells.
9) the plasma cells release anitbodies with the variable region (antigen binding site) complementary to the antigens of the pathogen. These antibodies destroy the pathogens.
10) The T killer cells (cytotoxic T cells) with the specific complementary receptors release chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide or punch holes in the infected body cells to remove and kill any remaining weakened body cells, and the remaining debris.
11) The memory B and memory T cells remain circulating in the blood.
Secondary response:
The memory cells which are in the blood on the encounter of the pathogen with the antigens complementary to their receptors, divide rapidly producing plasma cells which secrete antibodies (more than the primary response) and the pathogens are destroyed in a short time.

Correct me if im wrong :)

this helped me out..hope it helps you too :)

Reaction score
Thanx people bt the pro is check out mj/11 p21 the ms says that CO2 combines with Hb and carboxyhaemoglobin is formed! Please check it out and explain...thanx soo much and God bless you all!

Error in the Mark Scheme. They meant to write 'carbamino-haemoglobin'.

We should sue those Examiners... they deduct our marks when we get it wrong, but when they get it wrong, they're totally silent about it. :cautious:

Reaction score
Error in the Mark Scheme. They meant to write 'carbamino-haemoglobin'.

We should sue those Examiners... they deduct our marks when we get it wrong, but when they get it wrong, they're totally silent about it. :cautious:
Bro, are u a 100% sure it's an error in the ms????? I mean mayb just maybe there is some reason to them writing that, thanx fr ur help guys!

Reaction score
Bro, are u a 100% sure it's an error in the ms????? I mean mayb just maybe there is some reason to them writing that, thanx fr ur help guys!

There's no other reason. 100%.

The only time carbon dioxide combines with haemoglobin to stimulate the haemoglobin to release oxygen is when it forms carbaminohaemoglobin, or the hydrogen atoms add to the haemoglobin to form haemoglobinic acid. Carboxyhaemglobin has no role here.

Don't worry, its an error. The Mark Scheme makers have been doing that a lot lately.

Reaction score
There's no other reason. 100%.

The only time carbon dioxide combines with haemoglobin to stimulate the haemoglobin to release oxygen is when it forms carbaminohaemoglobin, or the hydrogen atoms add to the haemoglobin to form haemoglobinic acid. Carboxyhaemglobin has no role here.

Don't worry, its an error. The Mark Scheme makers have been doing that a lot lately.
Owhkay tx a lot!:)) and yea so when exactly would the carboxyhaemoglobin play a role?

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

Can someone give me the definition for ecosystem.
Here are the ms points.

community (of organisms) ;
physical / abiotic, factors / environment ;
ref to interaction between organisms ;
ref to interaction between organisms and physical environment ;
ref to ‘self-contained’ / delimited by some physical feature ;
use of named example to illustrate one above point ;
It’s Q:6 of Nov:2007 P2
9700_w07_qp_2.pdf

Reaction score
can anyone answer this question
Explain how sucrose in the phloem sap is moved from sieve tube elements in leaves to
cells in a sink, such as a root.
9700_w11_qp_21
oct/nov 11 question 5(c)

Reaction score
Owhkay tx a lot!:)) and yea so when exactly would the carboxyhaemoglobin play a role?

Carboxyhaemoglobin is a damaging molecule. It is formed when we inhale carbon monoxide (usually in cigarette smoke). Carbon monoxide combines irreversibly with haemoglobin to form carboxyhaemoglobin; which reduces oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, as haemoglobin's affinity for CO is 250 times more than that for O2. This means that inhaling even a 0.1% of CO could be potentially fatal if not immediately treated. CO can cause hypoxia due to limiting the supply of oxygen to respiring tissues.

AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

Can someone give me the definition for ecosystem.
Here are the ms points.

community (of organisms) ;
physical / abiotic, factors / environment ;
ref to interaction between organisms ;
ref to interaction between organisms and physical environment ;
ref to ‘self-contained’ / delimited by some physical feature ;
use of named example to illustrate one above point ;
It’s Q:6 of Nov:2007 P2
9700_w07_qp_2.pdf

An ecosystem consists of all the living organisms of all species (the community), and their non-living components such as their environment, that are found together in a defined, self-contained area and that interact with one another.

can anyone answer this question
Explain how sucrose in the phloem sap is moved from sieve tube elements in leaves to
cells in a sink, such as a root.
9700_w11_qp_21
oct/nov 11 question 5(c)

In the phloem sap, in the sieve-tube elements in the leaves, there's a less negative water potential due to the presence of assimilates. Water enters via osmosis from surrounding tissue, which results in an increase in the hydrostatic pressure. At the sink, sucrose is unloaded, hence water potential of surrounding tissue is lowered. Water moves out, resulting in a decrease in the hydrostatic pressure. The pressure gradient results in a mass flow of sucrose and other substances towards the sink.

Reaction score
Carboxyhaemoglobin is a damaging molecule. It is formed when we inhale carbon monoxide (usually in cigarette smoke). Carbon monoxide combines irreversibly with haemoglobin to form carboxyhaemoglobin; which reduces oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, as haemoglobin's affinity for CO is 250 times more than that for O2. This means that inhaling even a 0.1% of CO could be potentially fatal if not immediately treated. CO can cause hypoxia due to limiting the supply of oxygen to respiring tissues.

An ecosystem consists of all the living organisms of all species (the community), and their non-living components such as their environment, that are found together in a defined, self-contained area and that interact with one another.

In the phloem sap, in the sieve-tube elements in the leaves, there's a less negative water potential due to the presence of assimilates. Water enters via osmosis from surrounding tissue, which results in an increase in the hydrostatic pressure. At the sink, sucrose is unloaded, hence water potential of surrounding tissue is lowered. Water moves out, resulting in a decrease in the hydrostatic pressure. The pressure gradient results in a mass flow of sucrose and other substances towards the sink.
tx a lot:)

Reaction score
Are the B and T lymphocytes always activated together....or is there a particular time/situation when only either the B cells or the T cells are activated?????

Reaction score
Are the B and T lymphocytes always activated together....or is there a particular time/situation when only either the B cells or the T cells are activated?????

According to what i understand the T cells release cytokines which activate B cells. so T cells are activated first when the phagocyte displays the non self antigens.

Reaction score
According to what i understand the T cells release cytokines which activate B cells. so T cells are activated first when the phagocyte displays the non self antigens.
owhkay but mj/11 qn 6a it says B or T cells activated! i mean i thought that it's always the case that the T cells must be there for B cells to function so how can they say 'or'??
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s11_qp_21.pdf
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s11_ms_21.pdf

:confused:???

Reaction score
owhkay but mj/11 qn 6a it says B or T cells activated! i mean i thought that it's always the case that the T cells must be there for B cells to function so how can they say 'or'??
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s11_qp_21.pdf
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s11_ms_21.pdf

:confused:???

in this question you are not going into the deep details of the immune response, its outlining the method, so we know that both B and T cells are activated...you can mention the B cells here since they are the ones which divide to produce the antibodies, so it will be understood that they were first activated by T cells, you dont need to, altough you may...mention the exact detailed steps, its 3 marks....so just outline the process. hope this helps. good luck for tomorrow! :)

Reaction score
in this question you are not going into the deep details of the immune response, its outlining the method, so we know that both B and T cells are activated...you can mention the B cells here since they are the ones which divide to produce the antibodies, so it will be understood that they were first activated by T cells, you dont need to, altough you may...mention the exact detailed steps, its 3 marks....so just outline the process. hope this helps. good luck for tomorrow! :)
tx a lot....g'luck to u too:)

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum wr wb!

What is antigenic concealment?
i think this is the ability of the antigens to hide themselves/conceal themselves from the body's immune system....for eg the vibrio cholerae which is the bacteria causing cholera, survives in the small intestine, a place where it is kind of hard for the immune system to access, hence allowing it to thrive better.
Hope this helps!:)

Reaction score
can someone please provide a detailed explanation which we can write for: Describe the pathway taken by water as it passes from the root hair cells into the cells which are specialized for transport of water and mineral ions(xylem vessels) and then from the xylem vessels out of the plant (by transpiration). Btw these are two qns combined. The marking scheme gives very short points...so please elaborate....tx a lot! and please answer asap as my xam is just in a few hours....tx agan.....God bless.