• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Nitrification = Aerobic
Nitrogen fixation=Both
Denitrification=Anaerobic

Hey. *Just confused here*. There was this MCQ in one of the 2013 papers and the correct answer there was nitrogen-fixation is aerobic. Can you give some examples that prove how this process is both aerobic and anaerobic? (This CIE mark scheme did baffle me because the enzyme nitrogenase requires anaerobic conditions to process, but then I did an internet search and it revealed that leg-hemoglobin won't remove any oxygen if there's no oxygen available, hence turning aerobic conditions to anaerobic).

Reaction score
Hey. *Just confused here*. There was this MCQ in one of the 2013 papers and the correct answer there was nitrogen-fixation is aerobic. Can you give some examples that prove how this process is both aerobic and anaerobic? (This CIE mark scheme did baffle me because the enzyme nitrogenase requires anaerobic conditions to process, but then I did an internet search and it revealed that leg-hemoglobin won't remove any oxygen if there's no oxygen available, hence turning aerobic conditions to anaerobic).
Look while in Nodules The condition required is Anaerobic while in Soil its Aerobic! let me find out that paper.. then i would let You Know! :)

Reaction score
Yes if You read carefully that question Sai Soil conditions so yea Ans Would Be A..
aerobic for Nitrogen fixation in sil
aerobic Nitrification
anaerobic denitrification :)
Need any more Help? :)